Navi GPS antenna relocation HELP - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #1

Navi GPS antenna relocation HELP

I've searched but I can not find what brand or model number to buy for a longer antenna. I found this one on ebay and it looks to be a winner!!
pic of antenna

The connection looks to be whats on the car now. Will this one work....It's made by Alpine and this is an Alpine unit......

What do you guys buy to make it longer and relocate???

My problem is that since day 1 the Navi does not go to the "OK" screen right away....there is a screen that says.."*WAIT* and not to move the car, its aquiring a GPS signal and keep the engine running, this may take up to 10 minutes

I went to Honda and they are saying that since I have tints it can not get a signal and thats why the screen does not go to "OK" right away....

Thats BS cause it did it since I bought the car (I have not had time to bring it in). The Navi works, it just takes like 3-20 minutes for it to initialize!!!

So I want to move the antenna and make it show 8-10 satelittes and show them that the antenna is not the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciative.
Thanks,
Joel
JGS93GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS93GT
I've searched but I can not find what brand or model number to buy for a longer antenna. I found this one on ebay and it looks to be a winner!!
pic of antenna

The connection looks to be whats on the car now. Will this one work....It's made by Alpine and this is an Alpine unit......

What do you guys buy to make it longer and relocate???

My problem is that since day 1 the Navi does not go to the "OK" screen right away....there is a screen that says.."*WAIT* and not to move the car, its aquiring a GPS signal and keep the engine running, this may take up to 10 minutes

I went to Honda and they are saying that since I have tints it can not get a signal and thats why the screen does not go to "OK" right away....

Thats BS cause it did it since I bought the car (I have not had time to bring it in). The Navi works, it just takes like 3-20 minutes for it to initialize!!!

So I want to move the antenna and make it show 8-10 satelittes and show them that the antenna is not the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciative.
Thanks,
Joel

thats the antennae i have with my aftermarket alpine nav. they just put it on my trunk. its magnetic so it doesn't move or anything..
mahdigga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM   #3
The Poker KING

Send a message via AIM to LIL TANE
LOL @ them blaming it on tints, man fckin retards with their BS suggestions/comments.

See, I hate that crap, You should have brought it in earlier, but of course how would you know they would blame it on something as stupid as tints.

I have 5% HP tint(darker than normal 5%) and mine does not have that problem.

Try taking it to another dealer? Something is definitely wrong with your Navi system for it to keep doing that.
LIL TANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 21st, 2005, 11:51 PM   #4

mahdigga, i was kinda planning to get the alpine nav and put the screen in the cubby hold like you did. is the screen hard to see in there? the screen isnt touchscreen right? and it was its own speaker for the voice directions?

for OP, IIRC, thats how the OEM antenna looks...just with a much longer cable. looks like it should be plug and play. i believe the antenna plugs into the back of the DVD-ROM drive in the trunk. worth a shot if you really think the tints arent causing it. some tints (metallic) really can degrade the GPS signal (so i've heard).
iVTECaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Stalls @ every light

I wonder if that's one of the reasons Honda moved the GPS ant & DVD unit to the front? I thought it was better to have the DVD unit up front to benefit from climate control but since you can't "do" anything with it, it does seem a waste of space. Maybe due to the above issues Honda thought it would be best to have it under the dash since drivers rarely try to tint the windshield. It seems that they could have left the DVD in the rear and run a longer ant wire to the front though. Maybe there's an issue with too long an ant wire.
AZ-V6-Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVTECaddict
mahdigga, i was kinda planning to get the alpine nav and put the screen in the cubby hold like you did. is the screen hard to see in there? the screen isnt touchscreen right? and it was its own speaker for the voice directions?

for OP, IIRC, thats how the OEM antenna looks...just with a much longer cable. looks like it should be plug and play. i believe the antenna plugs into the back of the DVD-ROM drive in the trunk. worth a shot if you really think the tints arent causing it. some tints (metallic) really can degrade the GPS signal (so i've heard).

Its great. Its easy to see. I actually like it there. If it was touch screen, it would be a lot better, but overall, its fine. and oh yeah, it does have the speaker built into the screen.

If i were you, i would wait and see if they come out with one with the XM guided directions built in( by alpine). Hopefully they will. If so, ill probably sell mine and get a new one!
mahdigga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-V6-Hybrid
I wonder if that's one of the reasons Honda moved the GPS ant & DVD unit to the front? I thought it was better to have the DVD unit up front to benefit from climate control but since you can't "do" anything with it, it does seem a waste of space. Maybe due to the above issues Honda thought it would be best to have it under the dash since drivers rarely try to tint the windshield. It seems that they could have left the DVD in the rear and run a longer ant wire to the front though. Maybe there's an issue with too long an ant wire.

As far as I know, it's still in the back. You have a hybrid, and due to the extra battery being in the back they moved the dvd-rom and antennae up to the front.
Askani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Stalls @ every light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askani
As far as I know, it's still in the back. You have a hybrid, and due to the extra battery being in the back they moved the dvd-rom and antennae up to the front.
My mistake, I thought it was all 05s, but you are probably right...
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-V6-Hybrid
My mistake, I thought it was all 05s, but you are probably right...

I would love to see pics of the hybrid's dvd/nav setup (were the gps antennae is located, how the dvd rom looks in the front, etc). Do you or anyone else think they could provide me with this. Would help out on a project I may be working on.
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #10

heres the dash. the dvd rom is behind that little door where the flappy door thingy is supposed to be on the non-hybrids.

iVTECaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #11
Stalls @ every light

The ant is under the center dash cover about 5 inches back from the windshield. As a result you're not supposed to use a dash cover.
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #12

Thanks for the info and pics guys. I think this is a much better setup for those looking to install the OEM Navigation System into their non-navi Accords (such as myself) then going by how the Non-Hybrid is setup.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #13

Well I ordered the longer antenna and the dealer ordered a new DVD Navi unit ( the unit that is in the trunk) so they are going to swap it our tomorrow night they said.
I will keep you guys posted....
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #14

Well honda replaced the Navi Unit in the trunk and its works perfectly now!! But I am not at full satellite strength so I ordered that longer antenna and i can re route it and then everything should work perfect!

Tints do seem to reduce the satellite reception.
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #15

I think I will definitely try to do a frontal install with the OEM navigation unit (won't have to worry about tints and makes the install easier since no connecting parts to the trunk). Does anyone have a diagram of the location of the GPS antenna in the Accord Hybrid as well as how the dvd unit is intalled? I already have the iVES DVD system installed. Would I be able to install the Nav DVD Rom unit underneat the iVES one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in