Honda Paint Sucks? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #1

Angry Honda Paint Sucks?

So check this bucket of crap out...

The other day I'm washing my car at my station...and im squirting it down with a normal garden hose with a normal nozzle ...and i got to wash the soap off the front bumper...i get to the lower lip and see a bug still stuck there from my last road trip to DC prolly, and i decide outta laziness to squeeze the nozzle and blast that little booger off my lip...not only did i was off the bug, i washed off a chip of paint...it just like peeled right off...about the size of 2 quaters next to each other...

i look closer at it and it seems like there is only 1 coat of paint on...right under the paint is the black layer of the lip...this isn't the body kit. this is just the lower part of the bumper im talking about...right below the license plate....

bad news doesn't end there...not only did i was a chunk of paint off...it started to rain today so the whole car wash was worthless to begin with...

in a real frustrated mood right now.
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to littodevil
Hey, maybe i can offer an explaination since I have extensive knowledge on how the oem paint and body paint works out.

First thing's first, there isn't just one layer of paint on your facotry vehicl, if there was only one later, it would look like a mist and not one full color on your vehicle, the paint don't come in layers; only color, or primer or etc would come in layers that you could visibly see.

Factory paint is also the most durable paint compared to if you get it refinished, even if you go to a very high end body shop that uses like german Standox paint which is what the facotry uses as well as what my father's body shop uses. It's very supriorer over PPG but the main thign that the factory uses that most body don't use, is the paint is baked on. This increaes it's durablity but also creates "fisheye" on the paint and it's not 100% smooth like if you got it repainted by a body shop.

A few reasons could result in why your paint chipped off, i'm assuming this is a facotry lip and assume it got painted the same way as your vehicle from the factory. The only way to find out is to track it down and find how it was painted but from what your saying, this isn't an aftermraket piece or a body kit so yea.

One reason could be the clearcoat is already worn off or gone from too much buffing from a machine. Just so you guys know, a car shoudl only be buffed with a machine every so offen and only if there's deep marks on them, other wise you should only polish it by hand with a hand glaze to prevent clearcoat from coming off.

But if you are certain that you never buffed it with a machine and the clearcoat is still on, then the bug's chemical itself ripped the paint off. You better believe it, even bird poop is very bad for your paint and you shoudl never let it sit there and wait to wash it off. Bird poop has acid in them and will start destorying you paint the second it sits on your car, and I would safely assume that's what happen with that bug too, probaly not all bugs but at lesat that one ate thru your paint. And then the high pressure from yoru hose knocked the bug off when it was still stuck very hard to your paint.

So i'm sorry to hear what happen but maybe I was able to share some info on the paint and others that don't know aobut it.

Take cares and feel better,
Best Regards,
Larry
HID Performance
[email protected]
(650) 703-0911
littodevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by littodevil
Hey, maybe i can offer an explaination since I have extensive knowledge on how the oem paint and body paint works out.

First thing's first, there isn't just one layer of paint on your facotry vehicl, if there was only one later, it would look like a mist and not one full color on your vehicle, the paint don't come in layers; only color, or primer or etc would come in layers that you could visibly see.

Factory paint is also the most durable paint compared to if you get it refinished, even if you go to a very high end body shop that uses like german Standox paint which is what the facotry uses as well as what my father's body shop uses. It's very supriorer over PPG but the main thign that the factory uses that most body don't use, is the paint is baked on. This increaes it's durablity but also creates "fisheye" on the paint and it's not 100% smooth like if you got it repainted by a body shop.

A few reasons could result in why your paint chipped off, i'm assuming this is a facotry lip and assume it got painted the same way as your vehicle from the factory. The only way to find out is to track it down and find how it was painted but from what your saying, this isn't an aftermraket piece or a body kit so yea.

One reason could be the clearcoat is already worn off or gone from too much buffing from a machine. Just so you guys know, a car shoudl only be buffed with a machine every so offen and only if there's deep marks on them, other wise you should only polish it by hand with a hand glaze to prevent clearcoat from coming off.

But if you are certain that you never buffed it with a machine and the clearcoat is still on, then the bug's chemical itself ripped the paint off. You better believe it, even bird poop is very bad for your paint and you shoudl never let it sit there and wait to wash it off. Bird poop has acid in them and will start destorying you paint the second it sits on your car, and I would safely assume that's what happen with that bug too, probaly not all bugs but at lesat that one ate thru your paint. And then the high pressure from yoru hose knocked the bug off when it was still stuck very hard to your paint.

So i'm sorry to hear what happen but maybe I was able to share some info on the paint and others that don't know aobut it.

Take cares and feel better,
Best Regards,
Larry
HID Performance
[email protected]
(650) 703-0911

makes sense if you ask me ... just got a quote from a body shop 100 bucks to repaint it ... anyways thanks a lot for the info...i knew about the bird sh*t but didn't realize it could apply to dead decaying bugs aswell...this is something my bio professor would be interested in hearing! thanks again!

take care larry!
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 6th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #4
The Poker KING

Send a message via AIM to LIL TANE
Just when we thought Larry was just the HID Guru...he's the Paint GURU as well!!

Good explanation my man...
LIL TANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #5
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIL TANE
Just when we thought Larry was just the HID Guru...he's the Paint GURU as well!!

Good explanation my man...

You've been holding out Larry.
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in