Illuminated Steering Wheel Controls - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #1
_

Illuminated Steering Wheel Controls

I just read that they are putting this in the new Accords. Would it be possible to switch out the controls or the steering wheel to get them to light up? That would be a nice little mod. I hate trying to hit the buttons in the dark. I assume it would be indentical, only have some sort of power source connection.

Anyone?
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #2

It's possible, been done and documented. I don't remember which website I saw it on, but they had a nice detailed installation w/ pics and such.
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #3
_

of putting an 05 wheel or controls on an 03/04, or modifying the 03/04 controls for lighted buttons?

i saw that someone made theirs light up, but it didn't look good. i want it oem and plug and play.

anyone know?

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #4
David who?

Check this thread over at DriveAccord forums. This should be what you're looking for.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #5
St. Louis!

I read "handle airbag with care" and i gave up on this one. good luck, it is a nice mod.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #6
odk

Did this mod. Used the info from Drive Accord. A real improvement .
odk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #7
_

right on, thanks guys.....any pics?
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #8
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
lol steve i wouldnt do it with your accord from hell. who knows what else warranties you might void..

OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #9
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
lol steve i wouldnt do it with your accord from hell. who knows what else warranties you might void..

no doubt huh?

i was even thinking about taking off my CAI, rear sway, strut bar, headlight bulbs, and not buying wheels just in case they give me crap or end up buying it back.

i still wish we had illuminated steering wheel controls though.
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #10

got the parts
got the tools
got the time

but apparently dont have the stregnth to loosen the locktite airbag bolts...

that loctite sh*t really gave me a hard time...spent a good 3 hours on trying to muscle them off...can't even budge...i even used my electric drill and couldn't get them to nudge...

i have the controls just sitting here laughing at me .. oh well this project is shelved...unless someones got some better advice for me
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to bagbklyn
Taking out airbag

It shouldn't be that difficult, while installing my navi I took it off, I was suprised how simple it was to get off, I brought I believe it was the T-30 torx bit and used that with a rachet. The best way to do this is to make sure you do it in the light and to make sure the bit is sercurely in. Another things that helps is to turn the steering wheel so the screw is facing towards the ceiling of the car so you can see it. It take a little strength but it is pretty simples afterwards. It almost scary how simple this was.

Warranty issues? In my opinion I doubt it, I installed my OEM navi and honda has no clue I did it, and I doubt they would know anything about the steering wheel controls either.
bagbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #12

crapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagbklyn
It shouldn't be that difficult, while installing my navi I took it off, I was suprised how simple it was to get off, I brought I believe it was the T-30 torx bit and used that with a rachet. The best way to do this is to make sure you do it in the light and to make sure the bit is sercurely in. Another things that helps is to turn the steering wheel so the screw is facing towards the ceiling of the car so you can see it. It take a little strength but it is pretty simples afterwards. It almost scary how simple this was.

Warranty issues? In my opinion I doubt it, I installed my OEM navi and honda has no clue I did it, and I doubt they would know anything about the steering wheel controls either.

hmm yeh i tried everything and i have no clue what to do about it...ill try again by turning the steering wheel...but im guessing i have to turn the wheel than plug it all back together and turn it the other way and unplug and un screw the other screw?

but as for the it being simple...nah not my screws man these things are sealed on for life!!! haha
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to mishima8
I did it too, and getting those Torx bolts out was a pain. You have to get it spot on to get it out. I am really glad I did it though. Very functional mod.
mishima8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #14

Unhappy possible strippage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima8
I did it too, and getting those Torx bolts out was a pain. You have to get it spot on to get it out. I am really glad I did it though. Very functional mod.
what do you mean by spot on?

anyways I got some nice pm's from a couple members giving me suggestions and what not...def. appreciate it

i bought a rachet today and use the T-30 thingie with the rachet and the steering wheel turned...

5 minutes later...

i think the head is stripped..

now what do I do? drill it out re-tap and try to get the second bolt out and do the mod or should i jsut leave it be?

a couple people offered to buy the contorls from me..i mean ill sell 'em if i can't get 'em on but they are only like 23 bucks from majestic honda so its not that expensive...
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #15

You have to get it right into the bolt at the perfect angle so you don't strip it. It was hard, but I eventually got it. I would drill it out now, and get a replacement from Honda.
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #16
_

don't give up, it'll be a sweet mod and definetly worth it once you clear this hurdle.
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #17

aright here's an update ...

i went to my honda dealer and they gave me the two airbag bolts with the red locktite stuff on them already for free...

so that was nice..

came home torque the untouched bolt and the head of the bolt just snapped off, so the thread part is still stuck in there, but enough of the bolt head came off so that part is loose and removable..

the other bolt (the one that i stripped already) i need to drill the bolt part off so i can take out the airbag assembly and than then drill out the rest of the bolt...

how do i do this? i got my drill and a variety of wood bits and concrete bits and have been drilling and drilling and drilling and its still on there and making very minimum progress

also can i drive the car after removing the airbag? can i drive the car with the yellow air bag plug disconnected?

cuz my car is now imobilized and i have no way to get to the hardware store to get more bits unless i can drive this car with the airbag plug disconnected (but i dont want it exploding in my face)
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #18

waste of time

so i went back to drive accrod to read the whole thread from start to finish...

i just realised "prince" and "princess" did this mod to a 4 door with navigation.

I drive a 2 door WITHOUT navigation..

I ordered the wrong part.

here's an update:

1 bolt head is stripped
the other bolt head is snapped off so the airbag is loose but the rest of the bolt is in the threads stuck

and ihave the wrong controls. i ordered the navigation version...

im really frustrated right now and don't know what to do...

i can't figure out how to take off the stripped bolt...i drilled it but that just stripped it more and more...
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibnazir
so i went back to drive accrod to read the whole thread from start to finish...

i just realised "prince" and "princess" did this mod to a 4 door with navigation.

I drive a 2 door WITHOUT navigation..

I ordered the wrong part.

here's an update:

1 bolt head is stripped
the other bolt head is snapped off so the airbag is loose but the rest of the bolt is in the threads stuck

and ihave the wrong controls. i ordered the navigation version...

im really frustrated right now and don't know what to do...

i can't figure out how to take off the stripped bolt...i drilled it but that just stripped it more and more...
Damn. You need to plug in the airbag, go to a local shop you trust and let them get out the bolt. They will have the tools. Or go to Sears and get the screw removal kit.
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #20

sorry to hear the conversion is not going well for you. HOnestly, I have the feature on the car, and I don't even notice it. There's the tactile difference of the buttons, so I never really stare at the wheel; that and all my interior lights are usually at max dim anyways.....
trapshot68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #21

hey thanks for the tip mishima

trapshot i hear ya ... i think it is a silly wanna be 05 mod but i saw the lights were only 25 bucks and figure 2 to 3 hours ehh it'll be worth the effort..

anyways im trying to stay positve about this...since i started this last night ive made 6 trips to home depot and 1 to sears hardware...

lets see if i can get this working...as for having the wrong controls im going to see if i can get them to still work we'll see what happens!

ill keep you posted and entertained with my b**ching and complaining!

oh and to everyone who wants to do this dont be scared away from my experience...i just hit some bad luck

anyways brb im going to keep fighting this battle!
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to bagbklyn
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshot68
sorry to hear the conversion is not going well for you. HOnestly, I have the feature on the car, and I don't even notice it. There's the tactile difference of the buttons, so I never really stare at the wheel; that and all my interior lights are usually at max dim anyways.....

It's one of those things once you have it you don't even notice it, but for us coming from not having anything it is a huge difference. Ever drive and hit the horn or change the track when all you are trying to do is put the volume up. I think 2003 and 2004 accord owners will give you many of stories
bagbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #23
Formerly Known As...

Send a message via AIM to i4performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagbklyn
It's one of those things once you have it you don't even notice it, but for us coming from not having anything it is a huge difference. Ever drive and hit the horn or change the track when all you are trying to do is put the volume up. I think 2003 and 2004 accord owners will give you many of stories
I don't understand how anyone who drives this car everyday can't get used to where the buttons are. If you've driven this car for more than 3 months, you shouldn't have to look at any buttons anywhere in the car. In my opinion, Honda added this feature for their older customer segment (their largest customer segment) who might have trouble remembering what is where.
i4performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #24

blah
blah
blah

i want the buttons so im wasting the time effort and money to get it done
and btw i have everything memorized in my car. i like the buttons lighting up concept so im busting my ass to do it...

now for tonight this project is shelved..again:

i went to home depot and got a nice small drill bit and this screw extractor device. its like a drill bit but its counter clock wise threaded and increases in size as you go from the tip up to the part that you clamp on with a vice grip plyer... so you drill a hole in your screw and then you screw this thing in counter clockwise but as it goes in the bit gets bigger and bigger eventrually jamming into the bolt and while you're still turning couner clockwise the bolt will start to spin counter clockwise and come out since the extractor cannot penetrate any further...

great concept, but no match for the locktite...

the extractor jammed in just fine and i started turning using plyers (the drill has been benched for poor performance and letting me down multiple times on this project ) and SNAP!

the extractor snapped and not only did it snap but half of it is is jammed in the boilt and a very pointy part is sticking out...so i can't even get the drill bit to cleanly sit on a flat surface of the stripped bolt to drill through the extractor..

everytime i try using the drill it just bounces all over the place hits the tip of the extractor makes loud clashing sounds and in fear of destorying my airbag (if i haaven't already) i can't continue that method

yeah im thinking the same thing, how can habib be the only one trying this and not getting it to work..whatever im even more furious but i did get a nice new toolbox from sears so im happy about that..

i dunno what to do, i tried using a dremel to shave off the pointy part and try to re drill it but can't, the dremel doesn't do sh*t.

If anyone is curious to know it is a T30 M6-1.0 1inch long bolt with RED loctite on it.

i really dont want to have to take the car to the mechanic...cuz i like just working on my car ya know? typical male pride issues, and its embarassing but its the truth, im stuck.

btw incase you were wondering i knew that the screw extractor wasn't going to do it...i just had this feeling the bolt was on too strong(my cordless and corded drill coudln't get it off. i use a socket and a long extension and couldn't get it, and the other bolts head snapped off with the socket under the torque pressure, so i was like no way this stupid thing is going to be my savior)...

but the reason why i decided to use it was becuase i figured if the extractor did actually get jammed in correctly, and it wasn't capable of extracting the bolt(because the bolt is on too tight with the help of loctite) that the extractor would begin to free spin and strip the threads on itself and just slip back out..

ill admit even tho i was betting against the extractor i def. dind't expect a structural failure of the extractor tho...

thoughts. ideas. suggestions. help. anything and everything are all welcome and humbly requested for! thanks

fed up... ....for tonight atleast
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #25

Ok did a google search....it looks like red lock-tite is permanent and only way to remove is heat........I dont know how much but hairdryers can get things pretty hot......I would try a larger extractor if possible but I looks like heat is a necessary thing. Heres a link that should help

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...d=214&layout=2

Rick

Last edited by THERUIZFAMILY; June 30th, 2005 at 01:42 AM..
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #26
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
ahhhhh yes, thank you search button
with that said after reading this all i was like
ok this whole issue with the stripped screw is pretty scary.

i'm currently working on getting those t-30 screws out to remove the airbag. my question is. i see few of you guys say you have to have the screw in t-30 bit in there perfectly???

i'm having a real hard time. i'm trying to get the screws out by having the steering wheel perfectly straight, meaning the steering wheel is perfectly straight so that the tires are facing straight forward. this is what the instructions state to do in removing the steering wheel, but i see thet ben turned the steering wheel so that the screws face upward???

can u guys clarify what is the best way to do this?? i haven't stripped the screws yet and am def. open to going back and trying again as i really dont want to go the dealer for the removal of 2 screws.

secondly i'm not sure if habibnazir is still an active member on here, but does anyone know if he ever got that stripped screw out???????

i have the t-30 bit on a ratchet, what do i need to do to make this easy???

Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #27

Hey I want to do this; does anyone know what colors the 05 ^ steering wheel controls are when they are illuminated. I'm ORANGE everywhere inside, and I think the sedan, and maybe even the auto coupe aren't...?

LMK.
k.heiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #28
4 door Coupe

i think for hondas its more white. the tsx's are orangish.. i could be wrong so dont quote me!
terez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #29

05's can confirm??? Thanks!
k.heiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #30
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
i think evtec mentioned something about the lighting of the steering wheel controls somewhere. let me look for that post real quick and see if he mentions it...

found it, here's the link where evtec talks about the lighting differences. not sure if this is what ur referring to, but hope it helps
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...+wheel+control

Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 03aV6cpe; June 19th, 2007 at 07:33 PM..
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in