High wattage Polarg Headlights - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #1

High wattage Polarg Headlights

Hey i was going to buy some Polarg SpecR headlights--on sale for 34$ @ automotive lighting usa and i was curious if any one has used Polarg and also they have a draw of 55w but output 120w is this pretty noticeable? ---thinking maybe glare? I know they arent legal cuz i think legal is like 55 or 60w. gimmie some feed back if you got anything...
stoosy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #2
registered n00b

Send a message via AIM to sumptimwong
im a little confused about "high wattage" if the draw is different from output?? i think that the output rating is formulated by color temperature comparisons. in other words, its probably actually a 55w bulb, but the glass is tinted blue so that it's output looks like the output from a 120w bulb. in that case, it would just be a regular hyperwhite bulb, which is pretty useless. sure, they look whiter, but they put out fewer lumens, dont light up the road as well, cause more eye fatigue, and produce more glare for oncoming drivers.

if you have the cash, go for a HID kit, with bulbs, ballasts, and wiring. a decent set should cost you 300-400. if not, just stick with regular halogen bulbs. the current setup i have in my car is retrofitted 9005 bulbs (65w) in my 9006 lowbeam socket (51w stock). its slightly brighter.. hardly noticeable, but i had a set of 9005 lying around anyway.
sumptimwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to SlvrBulletV6
But on the other if it IS a 120w, and not a 55w looking like a 120w, be VERY VERY careful, because the amount of power that the lightbulb draws might melt the wire harness because it wasn't made to withstand such heat.
SlvrBulletV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 9th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #4
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
i think my bulbs are around 80w and it works fine still, so u should be safe around there
SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #5
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoosy22
they have a draw of 55w but output 120w
That would be a very, very good use of energy.

In other words, it ain't happening that way. They're playing some sort of numbers game.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
it means it only uses 55w of power to produce light that "look" as bright as what 120w can output

some bulbs are designed better so da lgithw ill look brighter
SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #7
registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerGTR
some bulbs are designed better so da lgithw ill look brighter
this "design" that you speak of is only blue tint on the glass ;D its not that the light looks brighter, just whiter. ive been through 5+ pairs of aftermarket bulbs. imho, youre better off sticking with plain halogen until you have cash to go HID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayergtr
i think my bulbs are around 80w and it works fine still, so u should be safe around there
yea, apc used to make 80w until they became illegal ;D some cars will take the heat okay, but ive seen a melted celicia housing because of those high wattage ones. to me, its not worth the risk, for others, the light output and low cost is worth it all. just a matter of who u ask

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- wong
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #8

I did a 9005 coversion. http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

The output was a little brighter, but not a significant change. But still better.

Last edited by SlvrBulletV6; June 9th, 2005 at 02:22 PM..
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #9
registered n00b

yea, except if you look at that link.. for our cars u only need to modify the guide rails inside the socket, but you dont need to touch the tabs around the outside. also, since the circumference of the plastic part in the 9005 is slightly smaller than the 9006, youll need a thin washer (metal or plastic) to hold the 9005 secure in the socket, otherwise itll wiggle around. and no, those red rubber rings from your old 9006 wont do the job, i tried it.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #10

yah i was wondering about having a 55 input output 120w...which would be tight...supposedly, its something w/ infared which reflect back on the filament making it brighter...i also heard its similoar to the HID look on the prius... i think ill write the company and see if this is a true 120w output...if not ill just be a cheap poser and go with some blues or a higher K rating...even if these did put out 120w that would be hardcore illegal right?
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #11

The Polarg also have a 6 month warranty so if there are cheap car enthusiasts out there...this seems like a decent warranty... tell me if you found a bulb w/ a better one.
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumptimwong
yea, except if you look at that link.. for our cars u only need to modify the guide rails inside the socket, but you dont need to touch the tabs around the outside. also, since the circumference of the plastic part in the 9005 is slightly smaller than the 9006, youll need a thin washer (metal or plastic) to hold the 9005 secure in the socket, otherwise itll wiggle around. and no, those red rubber rings from your old 9006 wont do the job, i tried it.
It worked for me, maybe because I have a 6gen, not sure what 7 gen is like.
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #13
registered n00b

Quote:
yah i was wondering about having a 55 input output 120w...which would be tight...supposedly, its something w/ infared which reflect back on the filament making it brighter...i also heard its similoar to the HID look on the prius... i think ill write the company and see if this is a true 120w output...if not ill just be a cheap poser and go with some blues or a higher K rating...even if these did put out 120w that would be hardcore illegal right?
yea sorry, but if thats that they told you its all bs. infrared is not visble to human eye, so it wouldnt have a visble effect on brightness. and yea, the new prius is equipped with hid, or at least its an option. halogen, no matter how high the wattage, cannot compare to the lumens output of HID. and this whole "input" and "output" is kind of misleading. a watt is a unit of power. in practice, a bulbs wattage rating is how much electricity it uses up per unit time. so a 55w bulb will always use 55w of electricity. how bright it is depends primarily on how much electricity it uses.. so unfortunately, a 55w is still a 55w. the "120w output" would then still be legal. hope that helps to clear things up a lil bit
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #14

yah the only way it could possibly happend would be a step up transformer.... thnaks guys
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Hey i was going to buy some Polarg SpecR headlights--on sale for 34$ @ automotive lighting usa

Guys ... hold off all your assumptions.

stoosy22, if you are looking at Polarg Spec-R HIR bulbs $34, then that's what I got too. I've had these for 2 months are I am very satisfied.

They only input 55w from our cars.
They claim output "as bright as 120w from a regular bulb".
Personally I don't care what they say. I'd rather go by output lumens not wattage.

Filament bulbs are very inefficient. Only around 15% of the energy (55 watts in our case) it receives is converted to visible light, the rest of it is mostly lost in heat (IR).

These bulbs use a special coating to reflect IR heat that normally is loss from a filament bulb and reflects it back to the filament such that the filament temperature rises (up to 3,800K hot!!) resulting in more energy converted to light rather than heat (IR).
This method should not (hopefully) decrease life span or generate more heat (it actually reduces heat emitted from the bulbs).

Many reviewers say these bulbs emit about 1,700 lumens (up from 1,200 lumens of standard 9006 halogen bulbs). Standard 9005 halogen bulbs emit 1,800 lumens.

From real world experience, I would say they provide about 40-50% more light output than stock .. no kidding.
All I can say is that my high beams (9005 silverstars) are no brighter and only extend the light beam pattern further but not brighter.

Light output color is still a bit yellow and is true to what they say it would be (3,800K), this is slightly whiter than stock that's about 3,500K.

Hope this clarifies it all. Ask me for more questions about this or pics.

Last edited by ipribadi; June 10th, 2005 at 09:42 AM..
ipribadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
in practice, a bulbs wattage rating is how much electricity it uses up per unit time. so a 55w bulb will always use 55w of electricity. how bright it is depends primarily on how much electricity it uses.. so unfortunately, a 55w is still a 55w.
Incandescent bulbs are highly inefficient in producing visible light (12-15% efficiency). But HIR bulbs changes the efficiency value, resulting in more light output.

Quote:
yea sorry, but if thats that they told you its all bs. infrared is not visble to human eye, so it wouldnt have a visble effect on brightness.
HIR bulbs reflect the "normally lost" IR energy back to the filament to increase the its temperature thus the bulb's output becomes bighter and whiter.

I think the idea is brilliant. Now only if they can do that with a xenon/krypton filled bulb instead of just halogen, even a very light blue-purple tint is fine.
We might then have true 5,000K bulbs emitting 1,700 lumens!
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #17

ipribadi, do you have any good night/ day pics you could send me? thanks for the good clarification and info.. and hey i think there pretty good for the price i think ill order today. [email protected]
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #18

Quote:
These lights have a wattage draw of 55w so they don't hurt your stock
harnesses. They product 120w of equivilent light output. They do not draw
120w. They are very bright bulbs.

Joe Covert
This was my reply from automotive lighting usa.
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #19
registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipribadi
HIR bulbs reflect the "normally lost" IR energy back to the filament to increase the its temperature thus the bulb's output becomes bighter and whiter.
somehow i doubt the validity of this theory. i mean it sure sounds great, but such a limited amount of thermal energy reflected back to the filament shouldnt have the capability of knocking more electrons out of their valence bands. but in any case, theory is still theory, whether it proves or disproves polarg's claims. a picture a worth a thousand words.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- wong
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
yea sorry, but if thats that they told you its all bs. infrared is not visble to human eye, so it wouldnt have a visble effect on brightness. and yea, the new prius is equipped with hid, or at least its an option. halogen, no matter how high the wattage, cannot compare to the lumens output of HID. and this whole "input" and "output" is kind of misleading. a watt is a unit of power. in practice, a bulbs wattage rating is how much electricity it uses up per unit time. so a 55w bulb will always use 55w of electricity. how bright it is depends primarily on how much electricity it uses.. so unfortunately, a 55w is still a 55w. the "120w output" would then still be legal. hope that helps to clear things up a lil bit
The infared thing is true, that sounds like an HIR light, they do have a coating that reflects IR energy (heat) back to the filament which supposedly causes the filament to burn brighter. Assuming you are talking about HIR bulbs they do have more light and they are a bit whiter. 1800 lumens and I think about 3600 ish Kelvin. Because of the IR coating they are not as hot as regular halogen bulbs. Bottom line is they have more light and are a bit whiter than std halogens. I have them on my accord and I would buy them again. Cheap upgrade, they are listed as 9011 and 9012 and can be easily modified to fit 9005 and 9006. Internet search of "HIR 9012" will tell you all you need to know about this bulb.
2kwhtaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwhtaccord
The infared thing is true, that sounds like an HIR light, they do have a coating that reflects IR energy (heat) back to the filament which supposedly causes the filament to burn brighter. Assuming you are talking about HIR bulbs they do have more light and they are a bit whiter. 1800 lumens and I think about 3600 ish Kelvin. Because of the IR coating they are not as hot as regular halogen bulbs. Bottom line is they have more light and are a bit whiter than std halogens. I have them on my accord and I would buy them again. Cheap upgrade, they are listed as 9011 and 9012 and can be easily modified to fit 9005 and 9006. Internet search of "HIR 9012" will tell you all you need to know about this bulb.
What needs to be modified for it to fit?
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBulletV6
What needs to be modified for it to fit?
you have to trim a tab on the base of the 9011/9012 to match your current 9006 bulbs. just one tab needs to be trimmed. Very easy!! However there is a guy selling these things already cut. If the polarqs say they are HIR and 9006 then you do not have to trim the tabs. I have forgotten if 9005 = 9011 or 9005 = 9012.

finally and a key point for this thread. a bulb that uses 55 watts putting out = light to something higher wattage can happen and here is how

efficiency - how much of the 55 watts is converted to light and how much to heat. that ratio is what is key. HIR bulbs are more efficient meaning produce less waste heat than conventional halogen bulbs. When looking at all the so called HID like bulbs look at lumens conventional halogens are around 1000, HIR around 1800 and HID 3000+ lumens. Nothing currently beats HID's, if you want more light but do not want to spring for HIDs go with HIRs as they have more light than conventional.
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #23

I am wondering, if the BULGE on the 9011 will fit into the light housing (of a 6gen)? Is the hole big enough for it to fit in the first place?

If it is the similar modification like how it is from 9005 to 9006, then its no problem for me. Just cut the tabs and solder-melt the notches on the inside. (This will be my next pair of light bulbs after these go out.)
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBulletV6
I am wondering, if the BULGE on the 9011 will fit into the light housing (of a 6gen)? Is the hole big enough for it to fit in the first place?

If it is the similar modification like how it is from 9005 to 9006, then its no problem for me. Just cut the tabs and solder-melt the notches on the inside. (This will be my next pair of light bulbs after these go out.)

you just trim about 1/8 inch off of one of the tabs, you line it up to your old bulb. no soldering. based on this thread it appears to be easier to buy on already to go.
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #25

Quote:
ipribadi, do you have any good night/ day pics you could send me? thanks for the good clarification and info.. and hey i think there pretty good for the price i think ill order today. [email protected]
How do you post pics here? Never did that b4.
Another problem is that I already got both of them on, I can't really make a comparison against stock bulbs.
I can make a comparison with my SilverStar highbeams tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in