Bike Rack - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jadedx2
Bike Rack

I have recently became a fan of cycling. I need a rack to carry 2 bikes or so around. I really didnt care much for the OEM Honda Rack. Has anyone had any experience with the Yakima Mighty Joe 2 or anything else? Suggestions are appreciated. I own an 2005 Coupe ;-)

The Best
jadedx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #2
oSCaR

i always wanted a bike rack... ive transported my FS bike like 5 times and ive managed to sratch up the plastic stuff on the inside of the trunk near the bumper, and i put a real nice scratch on the bumper itself with one of my pegs... i was so pissed ON TOP of being pissed because i was picking it up from my friends house to take it to the shop after some dumb kid got it runned over...

how much is that Mighty Joe one?
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #3
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I have the Saris Bones 3 Bike Trunk Rack that I use on my 04 Coupe. Very easy to put on once you have the settings figured out. But make sure your trunk is free of dust because the foot pads can put tiny scratches if you're not careful. Haven't had any problems with them.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4412

Last edited by flyvtec; June 9th, 2005 at 05:30 PM..
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 9th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to aceofspades626
skip the ones that go over your trunk. Don't risk your fragile paintjob.
Go with one that utilizes the towing hitch.
aceofspades626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Banned

If you guys are such avid biking fans, you would just bike to your destination instead of driving, lol....
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #6
oSCaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord
If you guys are such avid biking fans, you would just bike to your destination instead of driving, lol....
bike from east L.A. to the beach? nah ill pass...
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #7
odk

Get a Reese lightweight trailer hitch. The small ones are hardly noticeable.Then go to a local bike shop and get a rack that attaches to the hitch. I've seen 4 bikes on one rack. Using this setup nothing touches the car, above the hitch.
odk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #8

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/produ...products_id=43

just get the stock bike rack..looks kinda cool too!

habib
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #9
oSCaR

i would probably be cringing in my seat all the way down to the beach, because of those pads rubbing up on the paint, i have enough fine scratches on my car from dumb rocks i must pick up on the wash mitt while scrubbing

i like the one aceofspades is talkin bout...
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #10

yeh but who wants a tow hitch on your accord coupe? i was thinking about getting a jet ski this summer but ireally dont want to put a tow hitch on my coupe..i think itd look a little funky?

are there any pics with tow hitches on the coupe?
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #11
odk

I'll get a pic of the hitch on our toyota.
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #12
DJ2000

I had a bike rack on my accord last year and it out a ****load of dents and bends in my trunk. I say dont do it. If you are going to do it go with a tow hitch one.
AxisAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
The foot pads on my Saris Bones don't move around when the car is in motion because they are high quality rubber pads and grip really well. What I meant about scratching is that when your car is dirty, make sure you clean the spot where the pads will rest because when adjusting the rack, the pads may move a little bit when tightening things up. I thought about getting a hitch but was told that you will need to tie down the wheels because if you don't, the wheels may bang against your bumper and scratch it up.

If you don't like the rack route...I suggest getting a beat up small truck and your bike transportation problem is solved!
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #14
oSCaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibnazir
yeh but who wants a tow hitch on your accord coupe?...
do you have to permanently have the hitch hooked up? or can u just throw it on when u need it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvtec
If you don't like the rack route...I suggest getting a beat up small truck and your bike transportation problem is solved!
a, sayyyy..., 1,000 dollar mod? not to mention all the isht your gunna find wrong w/ it later on... hmm... nah ill pass
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #15

yeah...that would be one expensive mod wouldn't it? but then again you can use the truck for other things...and i would look for a truck that is reliable like a toyota or nissan. actually, the heck with it...get the honda ridgeline! nah...j/p...

as far as the hitch...where do you hook it up to in the back...i can't find a spot anywhere under the bumper????
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #16
odk

This is what the hitch looks like on our Toyota. That is a 'not in use' cover you see. The actual hitch is the same size. The rack I have engages the hitch and is retained by a pin and kotter key. It comes straight out from the hitch about 18" then goes verticle about 36''. There is an assembly that the bikes are bungied to. There are no additional straps etc. The bikes are free hanging and of course don't touch the car. The rack installs and uninstalls in about 1min. I've been happy with this setup for about 5yrs. Neat and clean when in use and not to noticable when not.
This is really a lightweight hitch for bikes and small utility trailers, not boats or campers etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in