Optimal/Legal Dash GPS positioning? [pics] - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #1

Optimal/Legal Dash GPS positioning? [pics]

Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. But recently I got in an accident (very minor, bumper paint damage) due to getting lost so I figured I'd pick up a GPS nav system so I can anticipate lane changes/exits better and get back on route when I get lost.

I recently picked up this GPS unit called the TomTom 300 - seems pretty nice but I'm having trouble finding the best-legal (i live in CA and am not sure what the laws about display on the dash are) position to put it on my dash so I've included some sample setups in my car to see what you all thing. Also, I'm just trying out this one (I have 14 days to return it but I like it a lot) so if any of you have a better GPS solution (bigger screen, etc.) then please let me know. Thanks!

-brycerocket
Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:
brycerocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
i believe as long as its GPS, you're allow to put it visible on dash...
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #3
St. Louis!

Custom fit, on the steering wheel replace the "H". Have you tried out the cubby?
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #4

haha I can see it now - touch screen horn - tap once for friendly honk, twice for OH SH*T.

I was trying to find a position where I could see it without too much head movement - wanna keep eyes forward on the road
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #5
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
from what i remember, you cant have anything on the windshield, especially that big. except 3x3 behind the mirror, bottom right away from the driver, i'll find the code later.
if you attach it to the dash, i think its a whole different ballpark. lower the better. as long as its not too visible, dont worry about gettin pulled over.
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #6

id say put it where you want it, if a cop pulls you over for it you can easily move it. Im in MD but i have a old Garmin Street Pilot 3 on my dash most of the time, similar to option 1 and i have never had an issue
ethlar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #7
cunning linguist

I just bought a Lowrance 500c (very nice unit by the way) and have mounted it in the cubby hole below the radio. Mine (with a 5" screen) fits perfectly. Sinve yours is a bit smaller, you might make a backing plate.

I have an external antenna (1x2") suction cupped to my window. It is very small and doesnt obstruct my vision.
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to NightShift
Bryce & MorePower: I've been looking for other GPS units to replace my garmin ique 3600. How has your experience been with your units?

The Lowrance 500c looks like a good unit with the 20GB internal hard drive, but 10 is dedicated for mp3s, but that is of no use to me because I already have my iPod car hookup.
BUT MorePower, you said yours fits into the cubby hole which interests me. How well does it fit? Does it allow the door to close so it can be hidden?

Otherwise I would go with the TomTom 300 or 700...
NightShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to accord03
i would do 3....since its hard enough to see under the rear view mirror....but then again im tall and it blocks my vision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello Prius.

old sn: AwSoMNaMjA
accord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #10
yea it flies!

Send a message via AIM to Xccord
You allowed to mount a GPS system anywhere visiable to the driver. For some reason GPS systems arent considered a distraction, unlike mobile video. I Like option 2, since its a touch screen, its easier to access....quick thought....did you try the storage compartment in front of the shifter? A nice custom mount would look sweet!

Good choice on the TOM TOM, its the best GPS on the market right now
Xccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

The main reason why I'm not really going for the cubby hole is I feel taking a peek while driving down there will take my eyes too far off the road - having it mounted like this provides a quick glance ability. However, I am going to have to learn how to not stare at the unit and just drive as if it wasn't there until I need to make an exit/turn/etc. Oh yeah, what may not be obvious is option 2's mount is a lot more closer, so it actually clears up a bit of the windshield view.

Nightshift: The TomTom 300 is awesome. It does a 3D animated map so it is as if it was following ur car from behind. In addition, the voice audible commands are great - I'd consider the unit to be at par with the Honda navis (my family also has an nav equipped MDX), just without the voice activition and large indash screen .
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #12

hehe I found out u can mount it on the cover of the cubby hole - but the stress of all that weight must not be good - back to the quest of finding the perfect spot.
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #13
St. Louis!

go #3, and tuck it in there as clean as possible.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #14
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
my vote's for 3, then 1. i wouldnt do 2, just cause the mount has no need to be sticking out on the window. is the same position as 1, but looks worse. but however you do it, run the power wire behind the dash to keep it clean. haha
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me
I just bought a Lowrance 500c (very nice unit by the way) and have mounted it in the cubby hole below the radio. Mine (with a 5" screen) fits perfectly. Sinve yours is a bit smaller, you might make a backing plate.

I have an external antenna (1x2") suction cupped to my window. It is very small and doesnt obstruct my vision.
i am interested in buying lowrance 500c, how much did u pay for it?? i have found the best price is $640.xx shipped. that's not bad.

how does it work??? currently, i have magellan 700, but i dont really like it, cause screen is too small, and it lost signal too much, and the P.O.I sucks. i tried to find Cosco near my house, which has been the same place for more than 3 yrs, but it didnt show up,,, so i want another one.

u mentioned that the 500c is mounted in the cubby hole, can i see the picture of ur installation.

Now i am thinking of getting Garmin 2620, ique m5, or Lowrance 500c.

2620 has lot of features than others,
m5 is PDA unit, so i can have both PDA and Navigation,
500c has the largest screen.

i cant decide which one i should get!!! help me~
dbdcion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:48 PM   #16
odk

I like option #1, only move it a little to the left. I've had a GPS of some sort for about 8yrs. The closer you keep it to the line of sight the safer you are. Try to keep it like a jet fighter HUD display . Looking away from traffic and messing with your GPS can get a little interesting. Even at eye level it is distracting. I couldn't imagine looking down into the console at 75mph looking for some GPS info. things happen to fast to be looking away from the roadway. Keep it safe, keep it on the dash within easy reach.
odk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:33 PM   #17

i would do 1 or 2. i wouldnt worry about cops, as long as its not playing a movie or something. GPS systems are completely fine. so yeah, 1 or 2, whichever one you're more comfortable with. #3 is a little to close to the pillar for my taste (side curtains), and it might be a little awkward to use the touchscreen in you're right handed.
iVTECaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #18
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdcion
i am interested in buying lowrance 500c, how much did u pay for it?? i have found the best price is $640.xx shipped. that's not bad.

how does it work??? currently, i have magellan 700, but i dont really like it, cause screen is too small, and it lost signal too much, and the P.O.I sucks. i tried to find Cosco near my house, which has been the same place for more than 3 yrs, but it didnt show up,,, so i want another one.

u mentioned that the 500c is mounted in the cubby hole, can i see the picture of ur installation.

Now i am thinking of getting Garmin 2620, ique m5, or Lowrance 500c.

2620 has lot of features than others,
m5 is PDA unit, so i can have both PDA and Navigation,
500c has the largest screen.

i cant decide which one i should get!!! help me~

I did all of the same research, and the 500c was the best of the bunch, by far. In addition to the largest screen, it also has 10GB of MP3 capability so you can hook it into an aux in and play all your songs. Also, even if you hard wire it, it is still portable to another car, the wiring unplugs and you can plug in the portable stuff.

Also, it comes with an external antenna, so the reception is awesome.

I will try to get some pictures by this weekend for you.

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 25th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to NightShift
Just an update, I bought the tomtom 300 unit and its awesome! I mounted mine like option 1 on the first post, a little further to the left so its closer to me. The 3D maps are awesome, much better than the ique - it gives a more realistic approach to turns and forks, etc. And all the maps of the US are on a tiny 1GB memory card. I didn't need the lowrance with the hard drive for mp3s cuz i got my ipod kit. The tomtom also has an available external antenna for boosted reception, but mine works just fine without.
NightShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #20
i like dogs

brycerocket, how big is the screen? it looks small from your pics..just wondering cuz i'm considering of getting a GPS also...i like option 3 the best, btw least amt of eye/head movement, it would seem to me...
hobbes235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #21

^^

3.5" Touchscreen LCD
iVTECaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 25th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #22

3rd pic
swears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me
I did all of the same research, and the 500c was the best of the bunch, by far. In addition to the largest screen, it also has 10GB of MP3 capability so you can hook it into an aux in and play all your songs. Also, even if you hard wire it, it is still portable to another car, the wiring unplugs and you can plug in the portable stuff.

Also, it comes with an external antenna, so the reception is awesome.

I will try to get some pictures by this weekend for you.
i just bought Lowrance 500c, and i really like it. i think 500c is much better than magellan 700. it has bigger screen, and software is better, and reception is also better.

u said it comes with an external antenna, but i think mine does not come with the external antenna. how does it look like?? did u connect the external antenna to the small hole at the back of the unit ??

And if u have time, can u post the picture?? so i can see how u install ur unit.

Thanks
dbdcion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in