dynamat... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1

dynamat...

i'm looking to get my car dynamatted if honda can't fix that damn creaking noise coming from the headliner... i'd like to get the whole vehicle done... but i'd like to know from those who already have had them done, do u notice a big difference in cabin noise reduction, and has it reduced or eliminated the rattles u meant to fix? and has it come back?
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #2

I have not put much dynamat in my current car yet, but from what it sounds like, the dynamat will not help you. Dynamat will reduce panel resonances. This makes it so it takes more energy to make your door/trunk/roof metal vibrate.
When you have rattles, it is usually due to loose fitting screws/bolts/panel pins not holding your interior plastic tightly against the metal. Also loose wires can slap against things casuing rattles.
You say you have a headliner creaking noise, there is a TSB for the headliner where the tech will insert some felt and/or padding between the headliner and the roof to minimize the flexing of the headliner and rubbing of it against the roof panel, check out the stickied TSB list.

Dynamat should really be limited to use where high vibrations are causing you metal panels to resonate like a tuning fork. Otherwise you are adding unnecessary wight to the car. Rattles need to be fixed by tightening loose panels/wires/etc.. down. You can use tape to hold wires down, put foam gaskets on the edges of your panels to insulate the plastic against metal or plastic against plastic rubbing. You can also stuff lightweight padding in between panels and the body to make them fit tighter.
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #3

so i'm guessing dynamat is pretty heavy... hmm... i don't recall seeing TSB for the headliner rattles but i'll look again, i've seen one for the rear deck... thanx

Old June 17th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #4
_

i don't know if there is a tsb for the headliner rattling.....

and i asked about the tsb on the rear shelf and they told me it didn't apply because i have an lx or some bs....

what was it that required some shims or washers to get rid of the rattles? i have it bad. especially while driving slow over uneven roads.

and i thought the dynamat helped some people, but not others. try and see, it'll be quiter no doubt, good for audio systems. might not get all the rattles though like you want.

is your problem right above your right ear, in front of the glasses holders but more towards the center of the car? mine is a little rattle that apparently only the driver hears. but everyone can hear that rear shelf crap. it's loud and annoying. can't drive in silence without getting pissed. how do i fix that one?
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #5

i have several rattles... the rear right side of the deck is rattle, another one is just over the driver's head, if there are small bumps on the road for a long stretch i can hear a very low rattle coming from the headliner just left of the sunroof screen, that one i think dynamat would fix cause i just put my hand on it and and seems to work... but there's another one that's coming from the back of the driver's side, so hard to locate it unless someoe sits behind there... could be coming from anywhere near the rear window, hard to say what it is...
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #6

hmm TSB for headliner rattle?

i def need that!!!
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:10 AM   #7

Ahh, my fault, I was thinking about the headliner sagging TSB. I remembered some people that had noise from the headliner due to the sagging and reccommended that TSB.

However, koolbreeze, you said puting your hand against the headliner stopped the rattling, right? If so, as I mentioned before you would be better off with stuffing some lightwieght material between the headliner and roof to tighten up the fit between the two. Buy some packs of cotton from walmart from the crafters area and stuff it in there. Alternatively, dynamat used to make something called dynaliner. I don't know if they still make this, but I had some and it helps tighten up loose panels. It is like a foam based mat.

You could put dynamat on the roof metal to lower the resonance of the metal, but most likely the headliner will still move around and slap against the roof/dynamat. If your lucky though, the dynamat might be enough to tighten up the headliner. GL
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #8

Yeah, dynamat is not intended for quenching rattles. It can, but that's not what it's for.

When I had my '03 AV6 Cpe, I fixed the headliner rattle using adhesive foam (from Home Depot). Do a search in this forum for the headliner removal instructions and you'll be on your way.

I also (on my former AV6 coupe) Dynamat-ted my entire floor, doors, rear wheel wells, trunk, and trunk lid. I used up nearly qty of 4x bulk pak Dynamat eXtremes ($100 USD each on eBay).
For the floor I had a local auto shop do the work (needed to remove all seats + carpet). For the rest I did myself.

My aim was to reduce cabin NVH. My results ... about 15-25% reduction in road noise.
Satisfaction factor: low

My theory is that cabin noise is extremely hard to kill. Imagine being in a room that has a door 1/4 way opened (where there is a loud party going on outside the room). Until the door is closed shut, the noise pretty much doesn't change regardless if the door is widely open or 1/4 way opened.
Until every single noise entry point is sealed, the noise will still get in the cabin!

Dynamat is heavy too, in total I estimate 70-80 lbs for the almost 4x bulk pak Dynamat that I used.

My suggestion is if you want your car with low road noise is to get some quiet rolling tires (the stock Michelin's are pretty good at this already) other than that go sell your AV6 and buy a Lexus!
ipribadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM   #9
Smooth as Silk

Send a message via AIM to dymondawg
dymondawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:49 PM   #10

I have the rattle on my rear deck also! But mine is an lx. I hope theres a fix for this because its pissing me off
rccardude909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:47 PM   #11
Loneryder

Send a message via AIM to docfnky
yea mine was an lx too...the dealer tried to fix it but it still came back. one day i just went out a bought some foam weatherstriping from home depot and practically covered the underside of the rear deck panel and the rattles went away.
docfnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:47 PM   #12
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I have Dynamat in my trunk, rear deck, and front doors. I have a 10w6 JLAudio sub in a custom sealed box in the trunk but I still hear a tiny bit of rattling when I stand behind my car. I put Dynamat on my license plate but the license plate frame still rattles so I'll have to fix that.

Dynamat is heavy material so if weight doesn't bother you, you can dynamat the whole car and make it quiet. But that will cost you a pretty penny!

The only annoying rattle in my car is when I have the moonroof sliding door open. But when I close it, the car is pretty much rattle-free.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in