Detailed Front speaker DIY *pics* - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #1
St. Louis!

Detailed Front speaker DIY *pics*

OK, if you need a more specific DIY on door removal, they're out there just search it. I just did a quicky on that.

1.Heres what youre starting with

2.Take this cover off near your window switches, just use a thin object to pry it up.

3.Next, there is this one behind your door handle. You have to bend the handle back to get to the screws. I used this butter knife my future mother in law got us to pry everything off.

4.Before you take the door off, remove the corner piece by the mirror, one clip holds it on, it pops right off.

5.Once you've removed 3 screws, you can start prying the door panel off. Start on the inside and wedge something in there. Just pry it steady until one of the clips pop out. Then you can just go along and pop em off til it is free of the clips.

6.Once you have the panel loose, you have to remove 2 wire harnesses your door light, and your handle. Be VERY Careful with the handle, I broke my passenger side and had to rig it back up. Here is a not so great pic looking down at your door handle, It is held in by some easy to depress clips that help it off. Just move it sideways through the hole it leaves.

7.Once you have the panel completely off, you're ready to remove the speaker. These things suck in every way possible. I just stuck my butter knife in there and pulled until the clips broke off. I cant see how you would get them off without shattering them. They serve no purpose anymore anyway. So just pry away !!

8.Depending on the mounting depth of your speaker this next step could vary. Mine was 2 1/4, so i got the 1/2 inch spacers. It left plenty of room for the window, and didnt protrude too far at all. I ditched the ones that came with the speakers entirely.

9.Just line up the speaker and connector in the frame and mark your holes. I would do one at a time, and line it up on each drilling. I just used some self tapping screws and went to town. It's kinda tough to get through the sheet metal, but nothing you can't manage. So now your holes are drilled. I could only get 3 to line up properly, as there is a hole for one of the clips I broke off earlier. 3 is sufficient to hold up the speaker.

10. Now its time to mount that thing up. Just make sure you've made enough clearance for the connectors on the bottom. Make sure everything is flush, and screw em in. Once its all lined up properly, tighten it down, and adjust your tweeters.

There you have it. Post any questions you may have, and ENJOY !!!
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #2

nice write up. Definentally bookmarking this for a later date (like birthday) when I feel like putting a set in.

Pics make things easy for me to understand.

:thumbup:
trapshot68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
very nice writeup and pictures
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #4
_

thanks man, good info.

i need to be getting me some new speakers soon.
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #5

Just one FYI, when removing the factory speakers, all you need to do is use a flat head screwdriver, or butter knife, at the top clip. Put the screwdriver in between the speaker frame and door metal, press down on the metal clip then out. The top of speaker will pop out, then you lift up the bottom of the speaker to pop it all the way out. This will keep the speaker intact in case you need to re-use it.

Also, if you don't feel like making/buying spacers for the new speakers, you can cut out the factory speakers from their plastic frame and re-use that as the new speakers spacer.
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #6
St. Louis!

Good tip on that clip, I honestly didnt look at it or try that hard to salvage em. And you cant use the existing speaker shroud, they dont have anything to screw into. Plus with the aftermarket spacer, you dont have to cut into the grill. It makes it like a special inclosure / perfect fit in there.
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jadedx2
Much simpler than my install. The Alpine Type X Comps required me to cut the actual opening in the door bigger to accomodate the width of the basket. My spacer had to be thicker to provide depth/clearance for the motor structure (magnet). And finally I had to shave the raised plastic section on the inside of the door panel to allow for the door panel to clear the new, protruding speaker/mount. Nice install though

The Best
jadedx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #8

Hey great write up! When i did my doors i had to break off the old factory speaker holder things from the door..that one was tough. I wished I could have salvage them though.
AstonV12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #9
hmmm...

Send a message via AIM to 7thgenaccd
^aston, u know how to install speakers and stuff?
7thgenaccd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #10
Squarely Stock

what size speakers are these and where did you get them from?
vsubbiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #11
St. Louis!

6.5's and I just bit the bullet and bought em at best buy. You can get em for WAY cheaper on ebay or anywhere online. But i was anxious and I like having purchased speakers from a secure source. There's no returning anything on ebay, and speakers tend to malfunction rather frequently.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:54 AM   #12
St. Louis!

^
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedx2
Much simpler than my install. The Alpine Type X Comps required me to cut the actual opening in the door bigger to accomodate the width of the basket. My spacer had to be thicker to provide depth/clearance for the motor structure (magnet). And finally I had to shave the raised plastic section on the inside of the door panel to allow for the door panel to clear the new, protruding speaker/mount. Nice install though

The Best
I just installed the Adire Koda's in today. Had to use 3/4" baffel, and cut away the sheet metal of the door also. What a pain. Installing those tweeters in the stock place was a challange also. Have to cut away and modify almost everything.

Good write up, came in handy.
distinctjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Saiken

Send a message via AIM to DrachenV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctjay
I just installed the Adire Koda's in today. Had to use 3/4" baffel, and cut away the sheet metal of the door also. What a pain. Installing those tweeters in the stock place was a challange also. Have to cut away and modify almost everything.

Good write up, came in handy.

Hey..Ive been in the process of installing adire kodas w/ an old school pc450. It's just the sound deadening takes a hell of a lot of time, so I only managed to just deaden one door so far. Do you happen to have dimensions for the baffle that you cut? I've been using a sawzall and its a pain in the a$$..
DrachenV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #15

simple and clear man ,nice job
mildsevenjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in