Where's your aftermarket Sat. Antenna? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #1

Where's your aftermarket Sat. Antenna?

Has anyone tired to buy an 04 xm antenna and install that and use that with their aftermarket xm unit?

i would love to buy the roof body color matched mounted xm antenna and use that for my sat. radio and get rid of the thing on the trunk..
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #2
St. Louis!

Man, I regret driving with that thing on my roof for as long as I did. I put mine in the front window next to the tweeter. Works like a charm. The only time it cuts in and out are when I use the wipers, but I just use cd's when it rains. They look so ugly on the paint Try it out on the rear deck near your speakers, I'm sure it would be fine there also.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #3

my sister in law has an 03 sedan with an aftermarket xm unit...

she has the antenna on her rear deck...it doesn't cut in and out a lot she says but it def. slides back and forth all over the place..

i was thinking about putting it on the inside but i kinda like the concept of having it on the roof...i saw someone who has a g35 painted their black antenna to match the body of the car..they said it doesn't cut in and out a lot and it works fine...

only problem with putting that small antenna on the roof is that i dunno how to run the wires since there is only that little gap between the roof and the rear window..

if i can get the stock sat. antenna i won't mind having to drill into the roof and run the wires through the roof on the inside of the car but itd def. have to be the oem antenna for me to take that venture..

Old July 5th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #4
St. Louis!

You have to run the wires under the moulding. Its easy to do. If sliding is a concern. Get some velcro at any store, and get that thing to sit still. My main problem was the carwash scared me. I could hear that thing movin around and knew those fans would take it off sooner or later. OEM antenna wont work with aftermarket xm.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingof3rdinput
OEM antenna wont work with aftermarket xm.

hmm is that confirmed? becuase from all the sat. radios ive seen they all have the same plug for the antenna?

maybe ill have to do the rear deck thing like you suggested
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #6
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
mine is on my dash. really close to the glass in the middle. cleaned off the plastic with some alcohol, put some apoxy on the underside of the antenna, (wont hurt the plastic) and then placed it on the dash. i get perfect reception.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #7

hmm that's what ive been contemplating putting it... i think going inside is a better and cleaner way to go with the sat. antenna's unless you have the oem one..

whta about painting the black antenna to match the color of the car?
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to evahak311
you can paint any of those antennas to match ur car color, i work at circuit city and we usually recommend painting it to match ur color so it looks better!!!
evahak311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by evahak311
you can paint any of those antennas to match ur car color, i work at circuit city and we usually recommend painting it to match ur color so it looks better!!!
Weird, I called XM and they said that you cannot paint the antennas since they will lose reception. Have you actually done this and tested it??
g6civic13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #10

My mini antenna is magnetic. I just stick it to the lock on the rear deck and it works great . No problems with reception and not noticeable from the outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LX V6
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to k3yz
I don't have a mini antenna; but I have my antenna in the same location as sandwiches and it works great. Funny thing is, originally I had it further back, basically right next to the 3rd brake light; and I actually get better reception with it right next to the lock than by the 3rd brake light.

I was confused by this, not sure if it's interference from desfroster/fm antenna?? Or just angle of window? But works really well there for me.
k3yz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civic13
Weird, I called XM and they said that you cannot paint the antennas since they will lose reception. Have you actually done this and tested it??
MECP states that you get 3-5% signal degradation from painting a gps or satellite antenna.
wht/accord99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #13
Bai Se Feng Che

Can someone please post a pic of the location of their XM antenna on the front dash or in the rear deck. Thanks for your help.
GPerlAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #14

i bought my car with the magnetic antenna on the roof. the paint is scratched up in the area from it moving a round a bit. works fine, and its a black antenna on my black paint so you hardly notice it. just be careful with the paint.
defenestranator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in