TomTom Go 700??? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #1
The Polar Express

TomTom Go 700???

Has anyone seen or installed a TomTom Go GPS in their car? I'm looking for a good GPS solution for installation in the cubby. The TomTom looks pretty sweet:

TomTom
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #2
yea it flies!

Send a message via AIM to Xccord
i sell these, at the car audio store where i work....Its the most popular GPS out there. I've played with every GPS, and in my opinion this is the best one. The TomTom should fit in the cubby, however you may need minor alterations to fit it.
Xccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3
odk

I would suggest trying to mount your GPS a little closer to eye level. Looking down trying to gather GPS info can be hazardous to your health. just my .02
odk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #4

try lowrance iway 500c. i have tried some gps devices, i think 500c is the best.

it has the biggest screen, like 5 inchs. and surprisingly, it exactly fits to our cubbyhole under the head unit.
dbdcion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to aceofspades626
with odk
I wish that metra kit didn't move the a/c controls to above the HU.
I'd be all over a Pioneer Avic already if it didn't make it impossible to use the climate contols while the screen is out.
aceofspades626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #6

I tried out the TomTom Go Plus 300 for 2 weeks.. until I returned it because I'm a poor starving college student

But man those 2 weeks... Best two weeks of my life. The navigation is awesome to say the least. Unlike Honda's nav system, the perspective is entirely 3D-driver view, rather than flat birdseye view. The voice commands are great, provides plenty of warning ahead of time. Color schemes are customizable, but default is great during the day and it auto switches to night view at the appropriate time (I think or maybe I unconciously setted it..). Basically, it's the system you kicked yourself for not buying as the nav package when you bought the car in the first place.

There were two things that should be noted though. the TomTom (at least the 300 model) miscalculated feet when it gives the warning of 100 ft until a turn or something. This I've tested out driving really slow around my neighborhood so I know it's not a speed issue. It seemed like meters was the appropriate label for the measured distances (TomTom is a UK company I believe so mixing up meters and feet is plausible). Oh yeah, the screen is kind of small so it's going to be hard to view it from the cubby hole - believe me, I tried multiple arrangements - even sticking the suction cup onto the cubby hole door. If u search the forums for tomtom, you'll probably find my postings of some okay arrangements I found.

Man, just talking about that GPS just makes me want to run out and buy it again..
brycerocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #7

Update: Temptation too much... went and bought one of these again :-D

This time I got it for a lot better price: $534.95 - no tax because the company's based in NJ. YAY nav again!
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #8
I'm Rick James B*tch

I just bought the Lowrance iWay 500C Portable car GPS navigation for $800.00 bucks. I'm waiting for it right now
albaughrsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaughrsx
I just bought the Lowrance iWay 500C Portable car GPS navigation for $800.00 bucks. I'm waiting for it right now
im afraid to say that, BUT,,,

u r paying too much if u bought from internet site.
dbdcion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #10
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
A PDA/GPS unit is a great way to get more for your money: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...&highlight=GPS

But if you want a more permanent solution, I suggest the Garmin c330: http://www.garmin.com/products/sp330/

The Garmin units use an industry leading 5 million POI (Points of Interest) database and main navigation database from NAVTEQ (the same database Mapquest.com uses). And I suggest mounting it somewhere near the top of the dash. Having to glance down at the screen while driving isn't a very good idea.

BTW: That 3D view mode is very confusing to look at most of the time. Honda/Acura doesn’t even bother putting it in theirs and their navigation systems are arguably the best ones in the industry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #11

TomTom also makes a PDA attachment which makes many Palm/Pocket PC models act just like the Go series. However, the 320x320 screen size of my Tungsten C (not to mention the crappiest mono speaker ever made) didn't really appeal.

I guess it's all personal preference, but I like the 3D navigation - it gives a better sense of road characteristics ahead in a more predictable manner. And when u have to take exits and turns - somehow I find it easier to follow this representation than just a flat map - but again just personal preference.

I think Nissan uses 3D navigation in their GPS units?
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #12
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerocket
I think Nissan uses 3D navigation in their GPS units?
They do but I think you can switch it to the standard "birdseye" top down view.

Old December 30th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #13

tomtom go 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
Has anyone seen or installed a TomTom Go GPS in their car? I'm looking for a good GPS solution for installation in the cubby. The TomTom looks pretty sweet:

TomTom

I bought my TomTom Go 700 on ebay and paid a total of 715.00 compared to the 850.00 in the store. It's an excellent choice, my wife is a Realtor and the Tom Tom is the best thing since invention of the wheel. It's blue tooth compatable and allows you to use it as a speaker phone with excellent speaker quality. The point of interest feature is pretty cool, which pretty much serves as the Yellow Pages.
kellamtom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:24 AM   #14

garmin 330 freezes alot
spicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:55 AM   #15

Palm sells a car navigation kit that I think uses the TomTom software. $250 for the kit and $200 for the PDA (Palm E2 or T5). There's a $100 rebate so it'll be $350 after rebate altogether.

http://store.palm.com/product/index....family#featBen
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:38 PM   #16

the Navigation from Clarion is a perfect fit in the cubby hole.
http://www.clarioncanada.com/en/prod...tion/NICE.html
No permanent mods required.
bigBEN CM6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:50 PM   #17

For the small portable like TomTom I like the Garmin Streetpilot better.

O have the C330 in my work car and its really nice and portable. Clear scren, updated maps, and a selection of voices.....
billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM   #18
i<3 my P.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to 04accordcoupe
yeah i had my pocket pc and the tom tom 5 with the holux bluetooth gps reciver that was the best days of my life ...once you get a navigation you always have to have one LoL..
04accordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #19
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcoupe
...once you get a navigation you always have to have one LoL..

The next time I buy a new car, I'm going to opt for the OEM navi .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in