Want to update the sound system - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Superccord

Want to ugrade the sound system

Hey how's everyone doing?

Well I was thinking that I might want to update my sound system. Thing is, like many of 7gen accord owners, I don't want to change the HU. So I was wondering if it was possible to get an AMP or anything to still get good sound quality from my HU?

Also, I have another question. I am a complete newb when it comes to this but what exactley will I have to upgrade? I have about 900.00 1000.00 to spend on all of this. Do you guys think I could pull off a good sound system with this amount of money?

What exactley will I need? A Sub? I did not really want to take up all the trunk space... but as long as it sounds better I'm fine with it. What about the door speakers? Back speakers? And so on.

Thanks.

Last edited by Boovila; January 15th, 2006 at 04:34 PM..
Boovila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Sponsored by my bank acct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boovila
Hey how's everyone doing?

Well I was thinking that I might want to update my sound system. Thing is, like many of 7gen accord owners, I don't want to change the HU. So I was wondering if it was possible to get an AMP or anything to still get good sound quality from my HU?

Also, I have another question. I am a complete newb when it comes to this but what exactley will I have to upgrade? I have about 900.00 1000.00 to spend on all of this. Do you guys think I could pull off a good sound system with this amount of money?

What exactley will I need? A Sub? I did not really want to take up all the trunk space... but as long as it sounds better I'm fine with it. What about the door speakers? Back speakers? And so on.

Thanks.
It really depends on how picky you are with sound quality. Being an audiophile, I personally don't think that if I initially have a budget of 1g that I'll buy everything, ex. speaker components, amps, sub, processor, etc. to fit 1g. Because you'll have an assortment of low-end, average components that don't add up to a good system.

So the way I go about it is in various stages. For example:

Stage 1:
Spend 800-900 on two front coaxial speakers (Infinity Kappas, Diamond Audio, Focal's, etc) and a good 4 ch. amp (the new Alpine amps, JL audio amps, etc.)

Work, make your money and onto Stage 2:
Spend 800-900 on a sub (JL's 12w3v2, Alpine's Type R).

Hustle, pimp, rob a jewlery store (and tell em make me a grill) and onto Stage 3:
Spend 300 on a cleansweep.

In the end, after 2-3 years you'll have high end components rather than low-end-average stuff.

G'luck!
moistener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Superccord

Well to be honest with you, I am not really an audiophile. I just want a decent sound system. The one in the accord now sounds too ... hmm muffled.

But my main concern was do you think I could run everything off my oem hu?

Old January 15th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boovila
Well to be honest with you, I am not really an audiophile. I just want a decent sound system. The one in the accord now sounds too ... hmm muffled.

But my main concern was do you think I could run everything off my oem hu?
Im with ya on this one. I would love to do an upgrade to my factory HU. To me, living in Phoenix, an aftermarket system only screams "STEAL ME". I think the Accord factory system lacks oomph, and would benefit from a 10" sub and decent replacement speakers. Keep in mind that factory speakers are below even average aftermarket systems....so a simple speaker swap to factory locations and a decent sub would make a world of difference to most people.

Has anyone used the infinity sub that is plug and play? I forget the name...
jkeith72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #5
yeaaaaaa

Send a message via AIM to neelio
Quote:
Originally Posted by moistener
It really depends on how picky you are with sound quality. Being an audiophile, I personally don't think that if I initially have a budget of 1g that I'll buy everything, ex. speaker components, amps, sub, processor, etc. to fit 1g. Because you'll have an assortment of low-end, average components that don't add up to a good system.

Stage 1:
Spend 800-900 on two front coaxial speakers (Infinity Kappas, Diamond Audio, Focal's, etc) and a good 4 ch. amp (the new Alpine amps, JL audio amps, etc.)

Hustle, pimp, rob a jewlery store (and tell em make me a grill) and onto Stage 3:

In the end, after 2-3 years you'll have high end components rather than low-end-average stuff.

G'luck!
800-900 on a sub? JL 12w3's only cost like 130-150 bucks.
neelio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Superccord

neelio, what size wheels do u got?
Old January 16th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelio
800-900 on a sub? JL 12w3's only cost like 130-150 bucks.
Sorry, I meant to say a sub and a good mono ch. amp. My bad.

Last edited by moistener; January 16th, 2006 at 06:39 AM..
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #8
Stalls @ every light

To answer the HU question ... Yes! I replaced all four speakers with Polk Momos and went with the matching Polk 4 ch amp. Spent around 1K and I think it sounds great.
AZ-V6-Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #9

I have a pretty powerful system and still have the factory head unit. Take it from me, the factory head unit is plenty for me. I'm not really an audiophile, but I did a dB drag and got 136.8 dB out of the factory head unit. The say if I had an aftermarket unit, id be over 143 dB but whatever, I mean who the F wants that much power anyways!
jason2713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Superccord

I see. So that's good that I could run it from the OEM head unit.

So do you guys have any advice or anything on which ones to go for and exactley what I need? Thanks
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #11
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I spent way more than $1K for mine...MBQuartz all around, JLAudio 10w6 custom sub, 2 Alpine amps, JLAudio CleanSweep. I consider myself an audiophile and I like my sound clean. I made a brief sound clip inside my car. Check it out here (hope you have good computer speakers).

www.salominojr.neptune.com

password: comptechvid

click on the "playas only" vid.

For $1K, I'd replace the rear 6x9's...add a sub...try to get 2 amps.

Last edited by flyvtec; January 16th, 2006 at 11:25 PM..
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #12

JBL CLEANSWEEP :-)

im still saving to buy mine
smilez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #13
registered n00b

Send a message via AIM to sumptimwong
i consider myself to be picky with sound, but not quite an audiophile. i spent a total of $200 on my system including all wiring, fuses, $20 line-output converter, used 65rms 4ch amp, some used 6.5 kappas, and used 80rms 6x9 kenwoods.

a new cleansweep wouldve tripled the total cost of my setup, which im already darn happy with. i just dont think it wouldve tripled the SQ, so i just went with a run of the mill LOC from best buy.

electrical noise is not noticeable to me, except at low volumes, when the car is off, and it is quiet outside.

well-amped 6x9's make enough mid-bass and bass for my ears. imo, the two amped 6x9's sound like an amped 8" sub. a 10" sub would be overkill for me (ive had one before), but tahts only for my personal tastes.

oo also: some amps have line-level (speaker-level) input, and that would void the necessity for an external LOC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- wong

Last edited by sumptimwong; January 17th, 2006 at 09:20 PM..
sumptimwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Here's some interesting reading from the Crutchfield website:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/I-...ing_guide.html
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #15
yeaaaaaa

Send a message via AIM to neelio
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvtec
I spent way more than $1K for mine...MBQuartz all around, JLAudio 10w6 custom sub, 2 Alpine amps, JLAudio CleanSweep. I consider myself an audiophile and I like my sound clean. I made a brief sound clip inside my car. Check it out here (hope you have good computer speakers).

a black page pops up after i click "enter site" ?
neelio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #16

Are you using Internet Explorer as your browser and disabled your popup blockers? I use Mozilla Firefox sometimes and Neptune will not work with this browser.

I'm here at work and it's working fine. Not sure what the problem is...

BTW...nice wheels man!
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #17
Why try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvtec

i see lara's 40th and some other album
BlackAccord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #18
POSSIBLE FRAUDULENT SELLER

Send a message via AIM to maying856 Send a message via MSN to maying856
Quote:
Originally Posted by moistener

Stage 1:

G'luck!
800-900 for front coaxials?!?!?! Thats just insane, lol. Id rather get components for that much. Nice coaxials can be bought for like 200 if not less. If anyone is gonna spend 1g for front speakers get components.
maying856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAccord03
i see lara's 40th and some other album
The vid is in the Comptech Exhaust album titled "playas only."
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maying856
800-900 for front coaxials?!?!?! Thats just insane, lol. Id rather get components for that much. Nice coaxials can be bought for like 200 if not less. If anyone is gonna spend 1g for front speakers get components.
If you read carefully I included a 4ch amp in that.
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #21

The best way I can think of is to go with a quality brand (pioneer. etc) and look for high sensitivity and moderate power handling. That would match up well with the Accord system which is not bad at all. The 6x9 you should look at the low number in the frequency range the lower that numder the deeper the bass output. I have yet to see a 6x9 better in low output than Pioneer.
wht/accord99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #22

i have the Infinity basslink installed in my car with the OEM HU. It's not overpowering bass but decent gain for the money i guess. I got it new for 200 bux off ebay. I'm running it from the rear speaker wires and but i would recommend to get a converter and run RCA jacks, prolly sound a lil better
ghettofly99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #23

Here's my setup:

03 Coupe audio

Sounds pretty damn good if you ask me.
legalese77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #24

^^^legalese...beautiful setup man! Very clean trunk. Can you record a video clip of how it sounds inside? Did you use Dynamat or ??? Very impressive dawg!
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #25
registered n00b

lmao, i dont think a simple recording would do anybody's sound system any justice.

but yea, now that nexson's glass project came up, it reminded me of how nice legalese's box is too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- wong
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #26

dang, legalese ur system is real clean man. where did u get those CF parts for the CD/coin holder?
ghettofly99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #27
registered n00b

hahah i believe thats stock on the 6sp. and its not actually cf, just a look alike ;D

- wong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in