Finishing Headlight Project - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1
odk

Finishing Headlight Project

I've completed painting my headlight housings. Used a compilation of dos and don'ts from here and other sites. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on putting the lights bank together. What did you do? What wouldn't you do again?What you would you do differently? Any help would be appreciated.
odk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
i<3 my P.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to 04accordcoupe
best thing is to heat it up again and scrape all the old silicon out and put new one in
04accordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM   #3
registered n00b

Send a message via AIM to sumptimwong
dont use TOO much silicone. it may cause a haze to form on the inside of your lense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- wong
sumptimwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #4
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon

clamp the housing and the lense so it forms a tight seal and bond.
Hongda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to littodevil
Follow the two tips as said above which is what I normally tell others or show.. and in addtion to that, pre bake the painted pieces so they don't continue to cure and release fume which can fog up the headlight by baking the parts at the lowest oven setting like.. 170 for 10-15 mins.. then go to 200.... then 225.. then about 5 mins in 250. Keep an eye on the paint finish. Then carefully take them out.. let it cool... clean it and reinstall it and heat the oven back to 250, stick headlights in... 10 mins.. take them out clamp and seal.

There's no need to scape off the bruty rubber from the oem casings if you only opened them up once and didn't remove too much of that material. It tends to flow back together when heated and when you clamp it tight all the way around, it'll form a well enough seal. For back up just run a thin bead of clear silicone all the way around it when it's cooled for double protection from water running along it.

Best Regards,
Larry
littodevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
odk

Thanks Larry. That is exactly the input I need. I knew there were some tips that could help me finish this properly.

I really didn't expect help from the mountain top......I feel so........ so unworthy!
odk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by odk
Thanks Larry. That is exactly the input I need. I knew there were some tips that could help me finish this properly.

I really didn't expect help from the mountain top......I feel so........ so unworthy!
Don't be, whenever i get time i don't mind helping others on their one time project if it'll save them the hassle or prevent them from wasting their time and effort that went into the whole thing. The last thing I want to see is someone getting disappointed over their own work if I could just share a few tips to prevent that

I forgot to mention... even though chances are good your only going to do this once... try not to breath the air ocming out of the oven when you open it after you pre baked the pieces.. turn on all the fans and open all your windows so it doesn't stay in the house. It wont kill you but it also wont do you any good neither

Normal spray can paint isn't really designed to sustain temps above 150-200 degrees, but you'll need at least 250 to properly seal the headlight that's why I suggestd you to bake them slowly up to that temp. If you want just let it sit in the sun or something to let it cure a couple days before you stick it in the oven.

Most high temp paint also wont cure properly unless it was subjected to like 500 degrees so that' swhy I don't typically use high temp paint for anything that's plastic. If i needed something in between i'll just go to my body shop and spray the urethane two stage paint instead which is much more durable.

But yea when the paint is hot, don't touch the painted surface which can be seen on the finish product since you might leave an imprint or etc on the soft surface of the hot paint. Of course wear gloves so you don't burn yourself.

Make sure your parts are sitting near the center of the oven as much as possible and not touching any of the metal walls inside your oven. You want the parts to be subjected to the air temp of the specific degree.. not a surface temp which is direct contact.

Best Regards,
Larry
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM   #8

Talking

Your avatar looks like one of my litto bro's wireless mini r/c cars that run around the table top.. haha...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in