custome grill mesh DIY help plz! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #1
ClubbingDirectory

custome grill mesh DIY help plz!

hi guys..
i recently bought the mesh and planning to change the upper grill (honda emblem) first. i have NO clue how i could fix the grill in place, any ideas?! grill craft has done somethin realli neat but nto possible for me to do and i assume thas y they cahrge 140 for a small piece where i bought a HUGEE piece for 40.
here is the pic:

if u pay close attention, there is a mounting bracket there which is pretty neat! u just drill a hole in the bumber and u're set to go...
so any ideas?!
Thanks a lot..
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...and.. for all your clubbing needs in Ontario... you know where its all @:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clubbinto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM   #2

you can get it on nopi for like 95 shipped

But, um, zipties? Looks like **** though.
trapshot68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM   #3
ClubbingDirectory

well 95 is too much too, comparing to 40 for both UP and lower grillz.
where is the link to it anyway, i searched their site in and out, can't find it!
thanks

Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #4

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/...0Accord%202004
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #5
ClubbingDirectory

thanks a lot man..
wut about other ppl who tried doing it themselves.. any advise from u guys?!
)

...and.. for all your clubbing needs in Ontario... you know where its all @:
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM   #6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

anyone try this one out...says it will fit...??
spicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM   #7

be patient when u cut the mesh, also look for the rubber lining at home depot or something like that that u can line up so the edges of the mesh don't scratch your car
madaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicmonster

Couple of probs with that:

1) doesn't fit coupe (which is what the thread starter has)
2) not painted (says in description painting required)
3) $80 + $35 s/h is more than any other option listed so far.
4) drilling holes in grill required for fitment
5) professional installation recommend (define professional though...)
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:13 PM   #9

damn that sucks...i would buy it..im not too worried about the painting...the money is a lil steep but hey if it looks nice why not...number 4 n 5 stop me from buying it
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #10
ClubbingDirectory

aite well.. u know wut guys, realistically you'd have to end up putting a whole through ur bumper if u wanna do a quality job (as you could see in the picture i attached to my first post)
so ye.. but aside from everything.. my REAL issue is the actual DIY .. i mean, the idea of rubber lining.. cool cool stuff! but wut i realli need to know is HOW to install the mesh?! my friend was saying maybe i should cut the shape of the grill thas OEM on with about 5-6 inches EXTRA on top of it. Then i just stock that extra 5-6 inches under the hood and bend the mesh from there to get the style that way i wouldn't need to drill a whole in the bumper.
The second idea proposed by another friend was to cut the front of the OEM grill so that i could use the plastic part of the OEM grill and use some black screws with wide ends to screw the mesh into the plastic part of the OEM grill....
did i explain them well or wut?!
wut do u guys think??!
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbinto
The second idea proposed by another friend was to cut the front of the OEM grill so that i could use the plastic part of the OEM grill and use some black screws with wide ends to screw the mesh into the plastic part of the OEM grill....
did i explain them well or wut?!
wut do u guys think??!

exactly wat ima do...just bought an extra oem sedan black grill of ebay...some how gonna cut the thingy that holds the h emblem on it and just buy black mesh...put it together and prolly paint it
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to mishima8
The Grillcraft grill uses metal tabs that are drilled into the bumper. Easy install and I think it looks decent.

mishima8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #13
Master of Disaster...

Send a message via AIM to MysterGoode Send a message via MSN to MysterGoode
I think that looks corny... The lower grill would look good though.
MysterGoode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #14
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaccord
be patient when u cut the mesh, also look for the rubber lining at home depot or something like that that u can line up so the edges of the mesh don't scratch your car
is there a particular department at home depot to get this rubber lining??
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to mishima8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterGoode
I think that looks corny... The lower grill would look good though.
to each their own. Here is another pic showing both.

mishima8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #16
I ♥ My Honda

Send a message via AIM to ephyouckay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Punisher
is there a particular department at home depot to get this rubber lining??

hardware... its basically weather stripping.

i work at home depot in hardware .... whoohoo. lol
ephyouckay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #17
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephyouckay
hardware... its basically weather stripping.

i work at home depot in hardware .... whoohoo. lol
thanks simon, i'm gona buy some this weekend
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicmonster

That thing is a crap...they used chicken fence material,which will rust eventually. I have mine from wingwest....while it cost more, but it's supposed to be rust free...and personally, I like it better then the chicken fence style.

liuhendy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #19
I ♥ My Honda

Send a message via AIM to ephyouckay
i dont like the circle style... diamond looks better.

For rust prevention all you need to do is coat it with some rustoleum and your good to go. if you want to keep that polished look you can spray it with some rustoleum clear coat or black if you want black.

IMO black also looks the cleanest.
ephyouckay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #20
"Keep It Sleazy"

that silver car with silver grill looks hot.Is it mounted behind the opening on the bottom and the top.I have both my grills mounted behind and looks cool.
fluidjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #21

Thx,I think it's all depends on taste...when I see the diamond cut, for me it's looks old style, and FYI...the metal is like few MM thick, really thick comparing with chicken fence style. It's true you can try to painted it to avoid rust, however the small rock that flew from freeway usually will make some part of the coat have chips...and that will rust. Plus, that thing is really thin...the resistance againts rock is really weak.
liuhendy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #22
ClubbingDirectory

hm.. good stuff here...
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #23

I just finished my custom mesh grille install. I created both upper and lower grille "inserts." It was a chore, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Here's a step-by-step on how I did it. I'm at work and didn't take photos of the process, but I can include photos of the finished product later. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

1) Remove the bumper.

2) Removed the stock coupe grille (the piece the "H" emblem is attached to).

3) I used a dremel to cut out all the plastic used for the upper grille. I left the piece on top that spans the entire gap. It's the upper piece that the origial grille mounted to. I also left the two mounting holes on each corner, in case I ever wanted to go back to original look and reinstall the stock grille.

4) I used thin carboard to create a template of the new opening.

5) I attached little cardboard "tabs" around the cardboard template. These will be used for mounting on the final piece.

6) I transfered the template onto zinc-plated steel lath (it's the diamond pattern) I picked up a huge sheet of it at Home Depot for pretty cheap.

7) Used tin snips and a dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut out the design from the lath.

8) I bent the tabs 90 degrees to the grille insert and test fit the insert (buy touch up paint for your car, as the lath can be sharp and will leave light scratches if you're not very, very careful), bending and trimming as necessary to fit the compound curves of the grille opening.

9) Once I was satisfied with fit, I used plastic door edge molding (found a O'Reilley's, Kragen, etc.) to go around the edge of the lath, so that the sharp edges were covered. This molding is great because there is glue in the u-shaped channel already. I laid it out in the sun for a bit to make it more plaible and to heat up the glue. When installing this over the tabs, I cut out a little section of the rear of the u-shaped channel so it would still fit flish all the way around the insert.

10) I painted the entire piece, trim and grille, with black plasti dip spraypaint. This is to prevent rust and to give me the flat/matte black finish I was looking for.

11) I set the grille in its final position and marked the areas where the metal tabs were located on my bumper.

12) I drilled the pre-marked holes and replaced the grille insert.

13) I used very short, stainless, flat-head screws, with chamfered washers, to install the grille.

14) I used the dremel tool to carve two shallow channels (top and bottom "bar") into the back of the original Honda "H" emblem (which I also painted with Plasti Dip). Be careful and go slow so you don't cut all the way through to the front of the emblem.

15) I set a piece of strong, flexible wire into the channel (I used safety wire, but you can use whatever you like). Then I used a coupel drops of 2-part epoxy near the center of the wire to attach the wire the emblem.

16) I then bent the wire arms away from the emblem and fed them through the front of the mesh grille, ensuring my emblem was straight and positioned correctly. Then I twisted the wire tightly behind the grille to attach the emblem to the mesh.

I followed the same above procedures to create a mesh grille for the lower opening. However, I left the black plastic reinforcement alone, as I did not want my bumper and grille assembly to be unstable.

I am debating getting fog lights. If I don't get them, I will create inserts for the fog light openings to match the rest of the grille and I can do a write-up of that.

I know this is probably as clear as mud without pictures to help, but hopefully you have a little understanding of the process. Again, feel free to PM me with any questions and I can try to clarify.
AEXV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in