Best Place to lift w/ Floor Jack - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #1

Best Place to lift w/ Floor Jack

Could someone please tell me where is the best place to lift a 7th gen with floor jack, so I can put it on jack stands for both the front and the rear?

I couldn't find this information with a search and did not see a great spot with my initial look with a flashlight under the car.

Thanks!
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #2
V Go SoCal Drivers V

Send a message via AIM to bustedryde
Like most cars, use the jack/stands on the frame of the underbody. There should be a connecting point on the front/rear of your car where you can use the hydraulic jack as a contact point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bustedryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #3

This should answer all your questions...
Attached Thumbnails
Best Place to lift w/ Floor Jack-jack.jpg  
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 20th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by turbines
This should answer all your questions...
Doh! I just got owened by the manual; didn't I? I looked at the changing a tire section, but I didn't think they would have a lifting section.

Thanks.
Old October 20th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #5

confuse on floor jack page,
where do i put the jack stand? is one jack [email protected] A or B- enough to hold the car up?

thanks,
chiggaraccord03
chiggaraccord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by chiggaraccord03 on October 20th, 2003 at 02:00 PM

confuse on floor jack page,
where do i put the jack stand? is one jack [email protected] A or B- enough to hold the car up?

thanks,
chiggaraccord03
Yes it would be it you wanted to change out both front or rear tires at once. I suggest not using the stock jack stand that came with your car for working under the car (changing oil, etc).

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #7

using a round jack to jack up the front is not recommend IMO.

from personal experience, i used it and the car slipped off the jack, causing the jack to go into the engine bay and bust my radiator. $500 damage....

but thats like the only way to jack the front up, so i guess you gotta do it..lol
antman321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:33 PM   #8

floor jack and stands

I have never put my car up on jack stands before, so here's my question. I want to start changing my own oil and tire rotations. I am going to buy a floor jack and 4 jack stands.

Am I suppose to use the floor jack and lift the front first and then place one jack stand on each side of the car, and then lift the rear and then place the other 2 stands back there?

I would think that once I lifted the front and placed the 2 jack stands on the front, that the car would not be level while resting on the jack stands. It wouldn't be level until the rear was lifted and placed on jack stands. Is that right?

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear or not. Maybe someone who has actually lifted our Accord on 4 jack stands can give us specific instructions. The manual is not fully clear to me.

I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I do want to be carefull before I go attempting this. Thanx!
1SmoothTE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 1st, 2003, 07:48 AM   #9

it's ok for you car to be "unlevel". It won't hurt anything. Just make sure the jack stands are level and that they will be out of your way when your under the car. Go play with it and you'll learn... you won't hurt anything unless you put the jack stand somewhere other than the frame.

If you are changing your oil, you only need 2 jack stands. But, if you are rotating your tires, then you would need 4.
BirdMan03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 1st, 2003, 11:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by 1SmoothTE on October 31st, 2003 at 08:33 PM

[B]Am I suppose to use the floor jack and lift the front first and then place one jack stand on each side of the car, and then lift the rear and then place the other 2 stands back there?
[B]
Yes, that's how you lift the car if you want all 4 tires off the ground. Always make sure the emergency brake is on before you lift the front of the car - you don't want it rolling backwards. Also, let the jack down slowly so the car can settle into the jackstands.

Just as a heads up, you will have to get the car pretty high to slide the jackstands under. Take it slow & everything will go ok.

FYI, my 3 ton jack stands need to be up 3 notches for all 4 tires come off easily.
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #11

Sorry to bring back the dead....

The below 2 pics, is the first one the point that tells you thats where the point is for the jack stand and the 2nd picture where u actually put the jack/stand?

Thxs in advance, sorry I just a tad slow so not sure how to jack car up.
BigB2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #12
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

As far as jacking up the entire rear of the car, how close to the rear tow hook do you put the floor jack cradle? I started to jack up the rear end, and it looked like the spare tire well was beginning to "cave in". Has anyone actually jacked up the whole rear end by jacking up on the tow hook? Did you experience anything like I'm describing? Any other hints?
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #13

Ya, im not alone at least... I would not use the back hook, as its so hollow I think it would cave in.... I want to know where the darn jack and stand points are on the side in front of tires... I have my sway bar chillin waiting and I wana get it on so bad but cant jack the car up cuz im a dumb azz and dont know how...

----------------

Think I found where to put jack. On the first picture, and then the stand can go next to it or behind on the lift hole spots.

Last edited by BigB2k3; April 7th, 2004 at 04:20 PM..
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
As far as jacking up the entire rear of the car, how close to the rear tow hook do you put the floor jack cradle?
Just look at the pic I posted months ago - It CLEARLY shows that you jack the rear right on the hook.

Quote:
I have my sway bar chillin waiting and I wana get it on so bad but cant jack the car up cuz im a dumb azz and dont know how
Did you try SEARCH for info??? FYI, you should NOT change the rear bar on jacks (unless you want endlink probs) Just back the car up on ramps so you can get under it easier - or just crawl under it without ramps. It only takes about 20 minutes.

Last edited by turbines; April 7th, 2004 at 10:31 PM..
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #15

Well I did it, took me more then 20 min, and you have to put on stands or how you get bar out w/out tire off?

Its all off and good, I tightened it in the air, and then again once I had on ground... Drove it around all seems good...

Thxs for help.
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
and you have to put on stands or how you get bar out w/out tire off?
Once everything is disconnected just slide one end of the bar forward & the other back around the exhaust pipe - then pull the bar back and out.

Sometimes you need to think before you bust a$$ and do more work than needed
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by turbines on April 7th, 2004 at 11:28 PM

Just look at the pic I posted months ago - It CLEARLY shows that you jack the rear right on the hook.
I saw that. I just didn't like what it did when I tried it, and was wondering if anybody else had any thoughts on it. Imo, it just isn't strong enough to use it like they show.

Have you jacked up the rear of the car that way? What was your experience with it?
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by 03LXV6Guy

Have you jacked up the rear of the car that way? What was your experience with it?
I jacked up the rear as high as my floor jack would go, but it wasn't high enough to fully get the tires off the ground. I need to buy a new that extends higher. For what its worth, I didn't notice any problems.
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
I've jacked my car numerous times this way with NO problems.
The hook goes into the jack cradle. I've had NO flex in the spare tire floor pan.

FYI, all hitches use a mount bolt thru this hook. If it can take the stress of towing, it can handle the small jacking load.
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by turbines on April 8th, 2004 at 09:44 AM

I've jacked my car numerous times this way with NO problems.
The hook goes into the jack cradle. I've had NO flex in the spare tire floor pan.

FYI, all hitches use a mount bolt thru this hook. If it can take the stress of towing, it can handle the small jacking load.
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, the time I did try it, the spare tire well seemed to be flexing up on me as I was jacking, so I decided I must have been doing something wrong, and gave up on it. I'll try it again soon and see what happens. Maybe I was just being too paranoid.
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #21

My ghetto jack doesn't even have enough lift to touch the rear towing hook! I have to do one side at a time!
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #22

Put the jack on a 2 x 8, or two of them....... to raise it up some.

Or get a real floor jack.
Old August 14th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #23

Wow that information telling you to jack up the rear of the car using the bottom of the trunk is just wrong. The tow hook is strong enough for something to pull backwards on it (ie a backwards force) but pushing up on it is just not right. Imagine the trunk being a cardboard box if you will, you can pull backwards on the bottom of the box, but you shouldn't just push up, it'll will definitely start bending.

The safest way to jack up the entire jack is to look for the part of the unibody that is right next to the rear sway bar. Get a 2x4 piece of wood that is just as long as that part of the unibody and use a jack that has a removeable cradle with a flat square face underneath. I'm using a 3ton huge jack from costco works great. You need the wood because that thing will bend if you just jack right on it. I know from experience.

For the front, there's actually an arrow in the dust guard that points to the front location.

Jack stands always go on the stock scissor jack locations. Do NOT put the car on 4 jack stands if you are going to work underneath it. Either support the front OR the back with jack stands. Choke the wheels that are still on the ground.

If you're trying to rotate the tires, the easiest way is to life up one side (driver's or passenger's) of the car from the front stock scissor jack point with a jack that has a big flat jack face. Then switch front and back tires. No need for jackstands you're not getting under the car.
superpilun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpilun
Wow that information telling you to jack up the rear of the car using the bottom of the trunk is just wrong.
Well, per post #3 (which looks like a service manual page), that is the way Honda itself recommends. Seems strange!?
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM   #25

I've used the rear hook on all 3 of my Honda's, but only with a hydraulic floor jack, not the tire jack the car came with. Never had a problem and all 3 manuals stated that was the way to do it. Even the service manual states it as well. Use the rear hook to jack and then place your supports where the tire jack is supposed to go. Done.

J
Jinx32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6Guy
Well, per post #3 (which looks like a service manual page), that is the way Honda itself recommends.

As long as you follow the proper procedures, using the rear tow hook is just as safe for the car as any of the other jack points.

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #27
Ken

Quote:
Wow that information telling you to jack up the rear of the car using the bottom of the trunk is just wrong. The tow hook is strong enough for something to pull backwards on it (ie a backwards force) but pushing up on it is just not right. Imagine the trunk being a cardboard box if you will, you can pull backwards on the bottom of the box, but you shouldn't just push up, it'll will definitely start bending.
The rear tow hook IS the recommended rear jack point by Honda. It is the same on the Civics.

Quote:
The safest way to jack up the entire jack is to look for the part of the unibody that is right next to the rear sway bar... You need the wood because that thing will bend if you just jack right on it. I know from experience.
If that area you're recommending to lift bends, it should tell you that you're jacking the wrong point of the underbody from the start. You dont need any wood to use the rear tow hook as the jacking point since that area is heavily reinforced and load-dispersion is built into that area.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM   #28

My rear two hook got bent in quite a bit from an accident. I wonder if I should still use it to jack up the rea ...
okayfine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #29
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

My friend always used the front subframe of his old '89 Prelude as the jacking point. It would make me cringe every time he jacked up his car that way. He tried to jack up my old Accord that way one time to change the oil and I said "Hell no!" I just don't think the front subframe was designed to handle that kind of stress.

I never thought of using the rear tow hook before though. It's too bad I didn't know about that when I had my old Accord. I always wanted to remove the mufflers on that car just for ****s and giggles (and I never got to, darn it), and jacking at that point would've made it easier to get to the bolts.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #30
mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpilun View Post

The safest way to jack up the entire jack is to look for the part of the unibody that is right next to the rear sway bar. Get a 2x4 piece of wood that is just as long as that part of the unibody and use a jack that has a removeable cradle with a flat square face underneath. I'm using a 3ton huge jack from costco works great. You need the wood because that thing will bend if you just jack right on it. I know from experience.

For the front, there's actually an arrow in the dust guard that points to the front location.

Jack stands always go on the stock scissor jack locations. Do NOT put the car on 4 jack stands if you are going to work underneath it. Either support the front OR the back with jack stands. Choke the wheels that are still on the ground.

If you're trying to rotate the tires, the easiest way is to life up one side (driver's or passenger's) of the car from the front stock scissor jack point with a jack that has a big flat jack face. Then switch front and back tires. No need for jackstands you're not getting under the car.
Is there a safety reason why you don't want suspend the whole car on 4 jackstands?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in