Here's a full copy of TSB 03-079 for the excessive starting or hard cranking problem. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #1

Here's a full copy of TSB 03-079 for the excessive starting or hard cranking problem.

Hi,
Whoever has the problem and does get the fix, please post if it worked. I can't do it until I get back to the States in January. I got this from someone named Lori who got their car fixed last week. Good luck everyone.

This is the detailed TSB, showing the dealer how to replace and check the fuel regulator. Also the specific VIN numbers for the affected vehicles.

TSB Page 1
TSB Page 2

Alex
moolman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #2

this is awesome. thx
AZNimpulse03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #3

I think I've had this problem where it just doesn't seem to start as fast as a new car with 4000 miles should. Anybody else noticed this or is it just me, because this looks like it only applies to 03's..
ELUSIVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 28th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #4

i have the same problem w/ hard starts with my 04.. and since the engines are practically identical im not surprised.

hopefully replacing the fpr will do the trick..
SmkeScrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #5

ELUSIVTEC, The car seeming to not start as fast is not the problem that the TSB and some of us have been having.

The car when you crank it, will sputter before starting or it will just not start and you have to crank it again.

The car not starting fast is most likely cause you aren't used to how the car starts compared to your previous car.

And most likely, your car should be listed in the affected VIN's if you are expriencing the cranking problems.

Alex
Old November 29th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #6
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
It says 03-04 models.

STICKIED! Great post!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #7

my vin is not listed as part of the problem BUT i am having the problem. it happens once in awhile where i can't start the car until the 3rd crank or it just cranks for about 5 secs before it fires up. i brought it into the dealer last year about this problem but they told me that they can not duplicate the problem. what do you guys think?

i just noticed that my vin is between the 2003 accord v6 2 door with m/t but my car is an auto. are they responsible for fixing it still? i called and had set up an appointment on monday. we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by FriedTofu; November 29th, 2003 at 03:23 PM..
FriedTofu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #8

Damn good post! Great job! Hopefully one day we'll amass a nice big collection of REAL TSBs like they have on Maxima.org. TSBs are so helpful when you need results from a dealer!
DaveDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #9

I went to the dealer and he said it was because I use 93 octaine and it was gummin up the injectors but I didnt belive it
Sticmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:14 AM   #10

One reason I didn't want to post the TSB is because if someone sees a TSB, the power of suggestion makes them believe they have the problem too. This makes dealers have headaches with people complaining all the time with TSBs which don't apply to them and thus doesn't encourage the bastards at Honda to make TSB's public.

Remember this problem is a often occuring event, at least once a week. Not just once or twice. The car sputters and then starts or the car just will not start until cranked again once or twice.

I've been using 87 since day one of owning the car.

The VIN numbers suggests that this problem affects at least for the Sedans, those made before January or Feb of 2003, I bet they switched the supplier around that time for the fuel regulator and fixed the problem.

Good luck all fixing any problems.

Alex

Last edited by moolman; November 30th, 2003 at 05:18 AM..
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #11

I think Honda screwed up. The TSB says it applies to: 2003 Accord V6 2-Door - From VIN 1HGCM7...3A000001 thru 1HGCM7...3A026099, and to 2003 Accord V6 2-Door with M/T - From VIN 1HGCM8...3A000001 thru 1HGCM8...3A029503, and to 2003 Accord V6 4-Door - From VIN 1HGCM6...3A000001 thru 1HGCM6...3A070490. Whew! So where does my car fall in this scheme? The VIN is 1HGCM8...3A004XXX. At first glance, my V6 2-Door is part of the recall, but my car is an automatic, not a M/T. I seem to have an automatic with a M/T VIN! I guess since I've only had this problem once, I shouldn't worry about it?
2003 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #12

2003 VTEC, you don't have the problem that is why your car doesn't fall into the VIN #'s. Your car misfiring once means you don't have it. This is a recurring problem as a mentioned numerous times. At least once a week.

Alex
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #13

It doesn't matter if you vin is listed or not. Mine wasn't listed. I called the dealer and got it fixed already at no cost to me. For those who have a problem with long crank...Bring it in.
tmtran44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #14

I had the fuel regulator replaced and still having that starting problem. Any idea?
goldenrsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #15

I was also told by the head mechanic that i should turn the key to "on" position until the computer is done doing its checks...1-2seconds...pain in the *ss. I got mine fixed last week...no cranking problem yet.
tmtran44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #16

I printed the TSB and brought it to the dealer- they were pretty happy I brought the TSB in with me. I'm on the phone with the dealer right now, it'll be ready in 1/2 an hour and I can bring back the lame i4 sedan they gave me to drive
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 24th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #17

funny... my 1987 accord had the same problem
rpgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #18

By the way- that did fix my problem and I haven't had any hard starts since. Now I'm just having this funny clink clink clink sound when turning sometimes.
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #19

I printed out the TSB, brought it to my dealer. They said they will look at it, but they couldn't replicate the problem (even though I had the problem the morning I brought it in), so in the end they didn't do anything

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Corrion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #20

Hey, I don't post around here that often but I wanted to check in on this one. When I took my car for the 3750 oil change (apparently they think Raleigh is severe conditions), I asked them to check the cranking, they couldn't replicate it and said there was no TSB. This was back in July or August.

I made the appt for my 7500 service and in the meantime saw this thread with the TSB. I dropped the car off yesterday and mentioned the cranking problem and that there was now a TSB. He had no idea about any cranking problem or the existence of a TSB but said he'd "try to find it". I handed him my printout and saved him the trouble. They were able to replace the parts for me yesterday.

The problem for me is testing it to see if there's any difference. The problem is so random on my car, I can't really tell. It won't happen for a month, then last Friday it happened twice in a 3 hour period. I guess only time will tell because it's starting fine since I picked it up yesterday.

My question - should this supposedly fix that two-step start process? Or do I still need to turn partway, wait for the tank to pressurize and then start the car? I've been two-step starting for so long, it's just routine.

-Stacia
LtlWoman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #21

i also have experienced this problem with my 03 auto and 04 6mt. never saw this bulletin, but i figured out on my own to do the two step start...turn the key on for the fuel pump and then crank. haven't had to many problems, but it will still do it maybe 1 out of every 50 starts. makes me feel like im driving some pos. ill have to make a pit stop at the dealer and have it taken care of. good info guys, thanks.

chris
speeedfrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #22

Thanks for the TSB , but.... do u guys think the TSB for Honda Canada the same as Amercian Honda?
like... do u guys think da TSB will work for Canadian dealership?
any idea?
navi601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #23

why wouldn't it? it's the same car with slight differences. I'm sure the Canadian version doesn't have a special fuel regulator.
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #24

An update on mine - I swear it's starting hard, cranking and sputtering MORE since I got it 'fixed'. A couple of times a week at least now, even though I do the "turn partway and wait" every time.

I'm getting frustrated. Any ideas before I haul it back to the dealer and they tell me they can't replicate it? Maybe I shouldn't have had them 'fix' it. Last time I had a car 'fixed', my Jetta stranded me on the side of the road in the middle of the night, causing me to buy the Honda. I can't afford to buy a brand new car every year...

-Stacia
LtlWoman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to NightShift
I wish they'd fix this once and for all. I don't want my new car to finally sound like a new car when its an 'old' car

AMS
OIL Dealer&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
NightShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #26

starting my car

i nvr can start my ish
nicksredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #27

Angry

got this problem "fixed" from dealer a year ago...

same problem is occurring now. car cranks hard....

you know whats funny? i had gotten my alternator replaced and im having issues with that again also...

honda's suck. and the service is even worse.
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #28
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
Any idea what they did? Try resetting your ECU.
Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:27 PM   #29

links busted
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #30

help with the tsb

anyone else have a copy of it?.. i'm leaving to go play in the big sandbox in a week
slee818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in