Turn on foglights without headlights - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,143
Turn on foglights without headlights

here are the instructions.
these instructions are Do-It-Yourself! they may or may not woid your warranty! they may or may not **** up your car! you assume all risks if you try this mod! questions are welcome, complaints are not! thanks

In the 7th Gen fog switch there are 5 wires:
Red/Blk - Hot with Parks & Heads on / In for illumination
Red - Out for illumination control
Blue - Hot with Heads on only / In for switch
Green - Out from switch to Relay #2
Black - Ground wire
**only the Red/Blk & Blue wires are actually hot**

1) You don't need to remove the dash or anything! Simply use a small hook tool, & pull the outer trim on the 3 switch panel. the panel & all 3 switches with pop out together.
2) Unplug the 3 switches from their wiring harnesses. Put switches aside in a safe place.
3) Peel back black electrical tape / wiring cover to allow yourself more slack to work with. You can use scissors or a razor but be careful not to cut any wires!
4) Cut the blue wire, leaving at least 3 inches of slack on the plug end. Strip a small section of the plug end. Cover the firewall end with a small piece of electrical tape.
5) Splice into the Red/Black wire, but do not cut it!!!
6) Connect the plug end of the Blue wire to the spliced Red/Black wire. You can do this with butt connectors, soldering, or simply threading the wires together & capping them. It a personal preference, so do what you're comfortable with.
7) Double check all connections. Plug fog switch back in only & test! do not put back into dash.
8) If successful, wrap all connections in electrical tape. Plug all switches back in. Mount panel back into dash with slight pressure
9) Enjoy!!!
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #2
DOO
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 480
i just did this "mod". takes 5 minutes. thanks!
DOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 210
the easier way to do that is this 1 relay...86 to ignition 85 to switch 30 to foglights and 87 to 12 volts...so as long as the car is on then u can turn on the foglights and the parking lights dont have to be on... and its better then jus running it to the switch so u wont have a battery drain of anything more that 47 milliamps which will kill ure battery
Sticmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:24 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 210
if u want it to work with the car off then jus run the 86 to +12vdc so now u can turn em on all the time
Sticmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwiches
here are the instructions.
these instructions are Do-It-Yourself! they may or may not woid your warranty! they may or may not **** up your car! you assume all risks if you try this mod! questions are welcome, complaints are not! thanks

In the 7th Gen fog switch there are 5 wires:
Red/Blk - Hot with Parks & Heads on / In for illumination
Red - Out for illumination control
Blue - Hot with Heads on only / In for switch
Green - Out from switch to Relay #2
Black - Ground wire
**only the Red/Blk & Blue wires are actually hot**

1) You don't need to remove the dash or anything! Simply use a small hook tool, & pull the outer trim on the 3 switch panel. the panel & all 3 switches with pop out together.
2) Unplug the 3 switches from their wiring harnesses. Put switches aside in a safe place.
3) Peel back black electrical tape / wiring cover to allow yourself more slack to work with. You can use scissors or a razor but be careful not to cut any wires!
4) Cut the blue wire, leaving at least 3 inches of slack on the plug end. Strip a small section of the plug end. Cover the firewall end with a small piece of electrical tape.
5) Splice into the Red/Black wire, but do not cut it!!!
6) Connect the plug end of the Blue wire to the spliced Red/Black wire. You can do this with butt connectors, soldering, or simply threading the wires together & capping them. It a personal preference, so do what you're comfortable with.
7) Double check all connections. Plug fog switch back in only & test! do not put back into dash.
8) If successful, wrap all connections in electrical tape. Plug all switches back in. Mount panel back into dash with slight pressure
9) Enjoy!!!

Hello, I'm having a hard time doing this on my 06. The 06 has 3 wires that are black/red. I have tried doing this with a couple of them and just can't get it to work.
moveingfaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Hondaphile
 
anderson930's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 545
CORRECTION FOR PPL WITH 04 ACCORD COUPES:

i just did this mod on my 04 coupe 6mt, i dont know what the difference is, if this write up was for the sedan or a diff year or what but its not the blue spliced into the red w/black stripe. What that did was make the headlights go on with the parking lights. what i ended up doing was bypassing the switch completely by splicing the green wire into the solid red wire. so now the fog lights come on both with parking lights only and with headlights.

so all in all, i got what i was looking for out of this thread, so good write up! unfortunately, having to splice the green wire bypassed the fog light switch, so now the switch is completely useless. oh well

oh, and now when i lock or unlock the car, the fog lights blink with the parking lights- looks f**kin sick!
anderson930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Registered User
 
DaRegulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson930
CORRECTION FOR PPL WITH 04 ACCORD COUPES:

i just did this mod on my 04 coupe 6mt, i dont know what the difference is, if this write up was for the sedan or a diff year or what but its not the blue spliced into the red w/black stripe. What that did was make the headlights go on with the parking lights. what i ended up doing was bypassing the switch completely by splicing the green wire into the solid red wire. so now the fog lights come on both with parking lights only and with headlights.

so all in all, i got what i was looking for out of this thread, so good write up! unfortunately, having to splice the green wire bypassed the fog light switch, so now the switch is completely useless. oh well

oh, and now when i lock or unlock the car, the fog lights blink with the parking lights- looks f**kin sick!
That would look tight... I have the halos and I think those look phat when my alarm is armed/disarmed...

Btw, has anybody tried this with an 03 Accord Sedan with the ebay foglight kit? I think I might try this, but I'm too lazy to fix things if they screw up...lol..
DaRegulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #8
CeRtiFiEd PimP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,037
i though theres a switch to turn on/off the fogs?
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Registered Hondaphile
 
anderson930's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03c0upe
i though theres a switch to turn on/off the fogs?
there is, but it only works when the headlights are on. with this mod, they also come on with the parking lights
anderson930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #10
Registered User
 
noslow100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson930
there is, but it only works when the headlights are on. with this mod, they also come on with the parking lights
Do you have the oem fog lights or the ebay/aftermarket ones? I am wondering if the wire colors are going to be the same. I just wanted my fogs to cut on with my parking lights as well. Thanks for the info.
noslow100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:55 AM   #11
Registered Hondaphile
 
anderson930's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by noslow100
Do you have the oem fog lights or the ebay/aftermarket ones? I am wondering if the wire colors are going to be the same. I just wanted my fogs to cut on with my parking lights as well. Thanks for the info.
i have the OEM ones. they wiring should be the same. good luck and let us know how it turns out
anderson930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Registered User
 
noslow100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson930
i have the OEM ones. they wiring should be the same. good luck and let us know how it turns out
I have the ebay ones so I will let you know how it goes.
noslow100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #13
Registered User
 
noslow100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 505
I had to put the blue wire to the red/black wire. I have wanted that look since I installed the fogs and now I have it. It looks sweet. The dual halos on and the yellow fogs. Thanks again guys for posting this up.
noslow100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #14
Registered User
 
DaRegulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 394
Nice...so it works? I've gotta try it one day...
DaRegulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM   #15
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
NICE!!! I just did it and took all of 4 seconds, I just used a tap in connector to the red/black wire.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM   #16
girl powah!!
 
03aV6cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,757
Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by faderrific
NICE!!! I just did it and took all of 4 seconds, I just used a tap in connector to the red/black wire.
are you still able to use the fog light on/off switch?
or is it bypassed like anderson930's?


has anyone done this using sticmann's method?
__________________
Joyce
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM   #17
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
Yeah I can still use the switch. Whenever the parking lights are on (high/low/parking light only) the switch is hot. When all the lights are off, the switch is dead. So basically you can roll around with your parking lights and fogs on, but not fogs only (which is illegal in california btw).

I replaced my parking signals with GE Nighthawk white bulbs and they look nice as hell with the fogs on.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #18
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by faderrific
Yeah I can still use the switch. Whenever the parking lights are on (high/low/parking light only) the switch is hot. When all the lights are off, the switch is dead. So basically you can roll around with your parking lights and fogs on, but not fogs only (which is illegal in california btw).

I replaced my parking signals with GE Nighthawk white bulbs and they look nice as hell with the fogs on.
where did you buy your GE bulbs and do you have any pics of how they look when on?
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #19
girl powah!!
 
03aV6cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,757
Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by faderrific
Yeah I can still use the switch. Whenever the parking lights are on (high/low/parking light only) the switch is hot. When all the lights are off, the switch is dead. So basically you can roll around with your parking lights and fogs on, but not fogs only.
that is exactly what i want...the use of the switch
but what concerns me is what sticmann said about it draining the battery. i'm not very knowledgable on electrical stuff. does the method you use hinder the battery in any way?

is it better to do this mod using a relay?

any electrical gurus out there to answer this?? i want to do this mod, but withough comprimising any other components. hopefully sumptimwong can chime in on this, and comment on what is the best way of doing this.
__________________
Joyce
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #20
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Punisher
that is exactly what i want...the use of the switch
but what concerns me is what sticmann said about it draining the battery. i'm not very knowledgable on electrical stuff. does the method you use hinder the battery in any way?
I don't see how it would drain the battery unless you left your lights on, but the lights go out after about 5-10 seconds. And when unlocking/locking the doors, but that's only for 2 seconds. I daily sit in my car for my lunch and listen to the radio w/ amp on and everything and haven't seen any problems with the car starting.

I have my multi-meter in my glovebox, I'll see what my voltage level is after sitting in there for 30 minutes and locking the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaism
where did you buy your GE bulbs and do you have any pics of how they look when on?
I got them from Wal-mart for 2.86, out the door. They are 1157.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM   #21
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
i want to do this mod can some one draw me a wire diagram of how they bypass the grey relay and hook the park lights up, thanks.
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #22
girl powah!!
 
03aV6cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,757
Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by faderrific
NICE!!! I just did it and took all of 4 seconds, I just used a tap in connector to the red/black wire.
so you used one of these

and you connected the 'blue' wire to the 'red/black' wire?
any pics?
__________________
Joyce
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #23
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
Sorry I don't have any pics here at work, but yes I used that exact connector (same color too) And it hooks up just like that.

And by the way, after unlocking the doors (foglights flashing twice) sitting my car listening to music for 30 minutes, then locking it (foglights flash once); I checked the battery and it read 12.11V. Which is HARDLY a drain. So I don't know what Sticmann is talking about.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #24
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
ok which wire on the diagram do i hook up? can some on edit this diagram to show how this mod is done?

hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #25
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
I would help you out buy my company filters out images from photobucket and imageshack.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #26
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
email sent
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #27
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
emailed back.

I took a picture to help everyone out, I can't resize it yet, so I'll post it when I get home.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #28
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
Here's that picture I promised:


Like I said, it really only takes a matter of seconds to do it.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #29
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393


i think this is what the mod looks like on the diagram, let me know if i am wrong

Last edited by hondaism; January 5th, 2007 at 06:25 AM..
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #30
Soblime
 
faderrific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 125
Yeah except the blue wire no longer goes to the relay.
faderrific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On