My Frankenstein Exhaust Creation - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

My Frankenstein Exhaust Creation

After installing Richie's j-pipe and test pipe with my stock exhaust, I just wasn't happy with how quiet the exhaust was still. I decided to start looking for an alternative to the usual bolt on cat back options since A) They're expensive and B) I usually like to try something different and unique.

Stock Exhaust before Frankenstein Exhaust

A few weeks ago I picked up some Acura CL Type-S mufflers off of the Classifieds, so the original plan was to I have a muffler shop cut the stock mufflers off, replace with the CL-S muffs and maybe delete the stock resonator or have them custom bend up some tubing for me to the CL-S mufflers, which could get expensive so it was the 2nd option if the 1st option wasn't to my liking. As luck would have it I came across an ad on Craigslist for a modded 05 Accord 6spd looking to swap a custom exhaust for a stock exhaust for free. The mid-pipe section is 2.5", no resonator, and goes down to 2.25" at the y-split to the canister mufflers. I'm pretty sure they're just some of those huge grapefruit shooter crappy eBay mufflers. And let me tell you, with the j-pipe and test pipe on it's freaking LOUD!!! I listened to it on his AV6mt before agreeing to the swap and honestly it sounded pretty good, wasn't too loud and had a decent tone to it, but on mine with Richie's stuff it's really obnoxious and drones like mad. I've been driving like an old man shifting at 1.5k RPM because I'm pretty embarassed to drive around with it on, but I really only got it for the piping anyway so it'll be changing soon. I'm planning on spraying the piping with some hi-temp silver or flat black to cover up the surface rust on the welds and just to make it purrdy. Here the monstrosity:

And today hopefully I'll find a shop to put these on:

I think once the CL-S mufflers are on it'll quiet the exhaust down to the level I'm looking for but still be a much better flowing system than stock while maintaining a relatively stock look with the OEM CL-S mufflers. If it's still too loud after the CL-S muffs I might have to go back and have a resonator installed in the mid-pipe section. So what do you guys think? Think it'll sound good? I really want my car to sound like a G35! <-- Kidding. I hope it works out and I can shoot a picture and video of the exhaust with in the next few days. I just figured I'd share my creation with you guys. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #2
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
why didnt you just get some custom piping and put on some mufflers? those cans do look big... lol
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
The End.

Send a message via AIM to IcyAccord
Ew. It looks so out of place.

IcyAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
i think the magnaflows have one of the cleanest looks and gives u performance
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
haha, I got some CLS mufflers just waiting too

Right now im running two Civic Si mufflers, pretty interesting setup, just need to get a glasspack to remove some of the rasp that it sometimes has.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfotoman View Post
why didnt you just get some custom piping and put on some mufflers? those cans do look big... lol
The piping was free since it was an even swap for my stock exhaust, so it was mainly a cost saving thing. I know the canister mufflers suck, like I said, I didn't care about them since I had the CL-S mufflers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m View Post
haha, I got some CLS mufflers just waiting too

Right now im running two Civic Si mufflers, pretty interesting setup, just need to get a glasspack to remove some of the rasp that it sometimes has.
Nice, you're looking to do the same thing. I thought you have a 6th gen, no? I know there's a few 6th gens with them but I haven't seen any 7th gens yet.

Well, I just went to the local Midas and had them do it. Let me tell you they sound fantastic! I went without a resonator. They had to hack off the piping from the y-split since they didn't line up with the CL-S piping but what ever, it works. The only issue I have is they aren't exactly centered in my exhaust cut outs. I'm going to have to figure out a way to fix that myself because it didn't seem like they could get it lined up perfect and I'm anal about that kind of thing. I think maybe once I get it off I can mess with the hangers and get them a little more centered.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #7
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

first off, those mufflers need to go PRONTO! lol . other than that, for being custom piping with crush bends, it doesnt look half bad from behind. trust me, ive seen some really unsightly custom work done from the Y to the mufflers. just clean them up, lightly sand them and paint them with some really high temp ceramic paint, in the color of your choice.

dont even bother messing with the hangers, cause that wont work. looks like they welded them in cockeyed. have them weld some new hangers on the cl-s muffs (unless their oem hangers will fit the 7th gen, which i doubt) then, istall them, making sure their even on both sides and centered in the cutouts. then, they can adjust what ever needs to be done, before welding them in.

oh, and you might as well install a small resonator too. the cl-s mufflers will quiet your tone down a bit, but it will still have that "ring a ding ding" raspy sound you here on alot of civics.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post
first off, those mufflers need to go PRONTO! lol . other than that, for being custom piping with crush bends, it doesnt look half bad from behind. trust me, ive seen some really unsightly custom work done from the Y to the mufflers. just clean them up, lightly sand them and paint them with some really high temp ceramic paint, in the color of your choice.

dont even bother messing with the hangers, cause that wont work. looks like they welded them in cockeyed. have them weld some new hangers on the cl-s muffs (unless their oem hangers will fit the 7th gen, which i doubt) then, istall them, making sure their even on both sides and centered in the cutouts. then, they can adjust what ever needs to be done, before welding them in.

oh, and you might as well install a small resonator too. the cl-s mufflers will quiet your tone down a bit, but it will still have that "ring a ding ding" raspy sound you here on alot of civics.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing Sean. Mike with the 3.2CLS that Siggy got his flywheel from said he has straight piping on his CLS mufflers with headers and it sounds sort of liek a stock NSX, not sure if thats a good thing though
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Ha ha, too late guys, you must have missed me saying I already had the CL-S mufflers installed this afternoon. I just haven't snapped a picture of them yet. Those canisters were pretty off too though.

The CL-S mufflers had the hangers in the same location, I just think that the muffler itself is either slightly longer or wider than the AV6 muffs, so when I asked him to center them more he said something about not having enough room. The looked more centered when the car was on the lift vs. when it was on the ground. I'll shoot a picture when I'm out of work. I'm totally happy with the sound without a resonator though. Sounds very clean, not raspy at all, and it's just slightly audible in the cabin, not even 1/10th of what those canisters were, no drone at all. I'll try to get a video clip of the sound, too.
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Ha ha, too late guys, you must have missed me saying I already had the CL-S mufflers installed this afternoon. I just haven't snapped a picture of them yet. Those canisters were pretty off too though.

The CL-S mufflers had the hangers in the same location, I just think that the muffler itself is either slightly longer or wider than the AV6 muffs, so when I asked him to center them more he said something about not having enough room. The looked more centered when the car was on the lift vs. when it was on the ground. I'll shoot a picture when I'm out of work. I'm totally happy with the sound without a resonator though. Sounds very clean, not raspy at all, and it's just slightly audible in the cabin, not even 1/10th of what those canisters were, no drone at all. I'll try to get a video clip of the sound, too.
haha, nah I noticed, just thought our coments were still relevant to those who haven't done this yet
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
haha, nah I noticed, just thought our coments were still relevant to those who haven't done this yet
Oh, I see, LOL I gotcha. So what are you saying, other people are going to want to do this now all the sudden???
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Okay, got some video clips. I know the second one is dark so you can't see the set up but it's dark when I get home from the gym. I want to get the piping painted first and try to straighten out the muffs before I show it off too much anyway. Hopefully I'll have that done by this weekend. Let me know what you guys think about the sound. I'm just curious what you guys think but honestly I freaking love it and feel like I have a totally new car. I had my radio off the whole way from the gym. It sounds muscular but it's not loud at all and like I said no drone in the cabin and just enough volume to really appreciate it. It's exactly to the tee what I was hoping for and wouldn't change a thing about the tone/volume of it. And no I don't think it makes it sound just like a G35... it sounds much much better! And don't make fun of my plate I'm sensitive.

Stock Exhaust w/Richie's J-Pipe and Test Pipe
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

2.5" Mid-Pipe to 2.25" Y-Pipe to CL Type-S Mufflers w/Richie's J-Pipe and Test Pipe
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by Accordian; September 6th, 2010 at 12:17 PM..
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #13

I was actually skeptical that you were gonna get a good sound out of this setup but you proved me wrong man... sounds great! congrats
v6 6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #14

Post up pics of the CLS exhaust on the car im curious to see how the tips look on the car

As for the sound im on the fence it sounds alright at the very least but your still running your stock pre-cats correct?
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #15
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 6speed View Post
I was actually skeptical that you were gonna get a good sound out of this setup but you proved me wrong man... sounds great! congrats
Thanks! Honestly I was a little skeptical myself. I thought I'd definitely have to go back for a resonator later on but I think that would quiet it down too much. I guess having had a CL-S before this I knew how good the mufflers could sound.

Quote:
Post up pics of the CLS exhaust on the car im curious to see how the tips look on the car

As for the sound im on the fence it sounds alright at the very least but your still running your stock pre-cats correct?
Oh I definitely will snap some pictures soon. I think anyone who didn't know what the stock exhaust looks like might just think it was stock. Of course it'll look even more at home once I get them centered.

Yeah, stock precats. Of course video clips can only replicate sound so well. It sounds great in person but of course we all have different tastes.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Alright, took some shots this morning before heading into work.

The drivers side is nearly centered but still a little off. The passengers side is quite a bit off center.

Drivers side

Passengers side

Close up of drivers side
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #17
newbies here!

Do you feel any gain with your exhaust ?? I very like the sound. Do you think with TL-s muffler it can have this kind of sound too?
MickAv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #18
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

^ I definitely felt a very nice gain as soon as I put the larger piping on and the CL-S mufflers didn't seem to effect the gain too much, only made things much quieter and better sounding. I'm not sure which year TL-S mufflers you're asking about. The 2nd Gen TL-S mufflers I'm pretty sure are the same exact internal design as the CL-S mufflers, the only difference being the tips. The TL-S tips are round verses the oval tips on the CL-S. I'm sure the 3rd Gen TL-S mufflers are a completely different design though so I have no idea how they'd sound.

Last edited by Accordian; March 19th, 2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #19

That sounds great!

As far as the gains, did you notice any loss in low end with the bigger piping? And how were the gains up top?
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #20
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
looks better than those cans lol
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #21
newbies here!

thanks! great exhaust, i love that sound !
MickAv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #22
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv6 View Post
thanks! great exhaust, i love that sound !
Glad you like it. I'm loving it more and more! I can't wait to get it straightened out and painted.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #23
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

I went over my buddies place last night and had him rev it for me while I was standing outside the car and it sounded like music to my ears. Couldn't be happier with the sound. I figured I'd shoot a video of it this morning on my way to work. It's just a clip of taking off gradually giving it more throttle from a start, taking off from a distance coming toward the camera and then just a slow cruise by the camera to a stop.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by Accordian; September 6th, 2010 at 12:21 PM..
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #24
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

wow, this project came out very nice

i love the tone. did you get a chance to paint the piping yet?
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #25
Damn You All !!!

Send a message via AIM to VTEC4ME
so your license plate is QETCHUP eh?
VTEC4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #26
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

^ Hey, I said no making fun of the plate! LOL! I always get these stupid personalized plates and then regret it like a week later. Oh well.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #27
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post
wow, this project came out very nice

i love the tone. did you get a chance to paint the piping yet?
Thanks a lot. No, I didn't get a chance to paint it yet. I think I might stop by the muffler shop that put them on tonight on the way home and see if they can straighten the passenger side muffler out. If they can it would be better before painting the piping anyway just in case they have to re-weld it in place. I have Friday off from work so I'll be painting it then. I'm definitely going do to flat black instead of silver though for the stealth look.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #28
J35 6Spd

nice job man it sounds great.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #29
V6P Groupbuy Approved

I like it!
Richie V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #30

Looks like it came out great! How is your low end acceleration now compared to before the exhaust setup?
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in