Wat would you do ? *moddin my 05AV6MT6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Wat would you do ? *moddin my 05AV6MT6

Okay so I have a little problem deciding what should I do whit my $$$ to mod my car...

I have 500$ in my hand and gonna have another 250$ on the next pay check so 750$ I'm also not shure if I want to keep my stock rims (17" that comes whit the 6mt version)
I want to drop my car a bit, install cold air, tint, maybee brakes update but they are new so ill wait a bit for that... I also need new tires

Here are my option

OPTION ARE UPDATED ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

I need input on how long Eibach pro spring installed on stock struts will last
I need input on ebay cold air

What would you do !

You can also add your own sugestion to the list

Last edited by weezo; March 19th, 2008 at 08:50 AM..
weezo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #2

tough list you have there..im debating as to what to do on my car as well.
looking at your options, i guess it depends how bad you want either the rims or the drop. as far as CAI, if there is no diff in designs and performance for injen and ebay, i would go ebay with k&n filter to save some money.
dont buy the tires since your planning on getting wheels anyways and would waste money buying tires and just sitting on the side when you get the new wheels.
i think option #2 seems best.
any thought on other performance besides CAI?
H22 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #3

well just looking at your avatar whit the same car as me and seeing this truck suspention on it whit a 4" gap (my car is like that too) make me want de suspention more then the wheels that for sho but I don't really want to spend 700$ on a suspension kit so that why im looking for used hfp of new tein spring...

i will buy the tires only when ill know wat to do whit the wheels first

Old March 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #4

400 for a hfp kit with 50k miles on it is a lot to ask. I got mine brand new a few months ago for 500 something. I would just get a set of h-techs on stock shocks for less than half of that and probably get more life out of the suspension while having a better drop although a slightly less comfortable ride. Bottom line, talk the guy down from 400 (way down, at least close to half), or pass on it.

I would probably go more with option two if I had to stay as close to those three options as possible, but instead of spending the 80 bucks on the ebay cai (which I wouldn't do anyway, and I especially wouldn't use the filter they send with it), I'd put off the purchase of the intake and spend that money on upgrading your sway bars (either both, or just the rear one). This is by far the best bang for the buck upgrade I have done to my car to date. Can't go wrong for less 50 bucks in parts for each end. Then later when you can afford it, get a decent CAI. I have the K&N typhoon and I really like it. You can configure it as a CAI or SRI, so you have some flexibility.

These cars can be fun, but they really don't respond that well to bolt-ons compared to a lot of other cars in terms of making more power, even though a lot of people here will swear otherwise (reaction: "must...defend...car"). There are much better ways to spend your money. If it were me I would tint it, drop it, and upsize swaybars first. I mean a CAI sounds nice, but the amount of power it adds is really negligible (10-15hp, if that). Other than those three things everything else is secondary as long as your tires aren't completely borked. I only got about 14k out of my mxm4's before they started to really suck bad (and I mean bad), so that is a factor. But I would personally rather have tires that are on the verge but a stronger suspension than an unstable suspension and good tires. That's just my opinion.
phanke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezo View Post
well just looking at your avatar whit the same car as me and seeing this truck suspention on it whit a 4" gap (my car is like that too) make me want de suspention more then the wheels that for sho but I don't really want to spend 700$ on a suspension kit so that why im looking for used hfp of new tein spring...

i will buy the tires only when ill know wat to do whit the wheels first
haha i hate our truck suspension!! im prob gonna get either s-tech's or h-tech's soon. im more convinced for h-tech's though since i want a comfortable ride (unless someone can convince me that s-tech's are just as smooth)
H22 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Quote:
Option #1 :

buy a HFP suspension kit for 400$ used (80k km or 50k miles on them. not shure how long they are gonna last)
buy a cold air for 150$ used (injen)
a tint right now 200$
then save another 2 weeks to buy the tires and I keep my stock rims for this summer
Buying a used suspension with 50k miles is pretty stupid when you can spend $200 more and get a brand hew HFP kity or $300 more and get a much better suspension than HFP.

Quote:
Option #2
Sell my rims for 500$ + 750$ so 1250$
buy some tein lowering spring for 175$ brand new on stock chock (not shure how long this is gonna last)
buy a ebay cold air for 80$
and keep the 1000$ to buy enkei evo 5 18" plus save another 500$ to buy tires
tint after averything else is done
Good idea, drive around with no wheels.

Don't lower on factory struts How many times has this been discussed.

Quote:
Option #3
keep suspention
keep my wheel
buy tire right now 600$
buy ebay cold air 80$
get the tint done 200$
stop saving money! money is made to be spent

wait till I got a super deal on suspention

I need input on how long HFP suspention kit will last
I need input on how long spring plus stock chocks whit 100k km on it will last
I need input on ebay cold air

What would you do !

Jesus, ebay cold air...

I have an option.

Option #4

Save enough money to buy QUALITY parts that are NEW instead of spending what little money you apparently have on crap.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #7

^ If you have the intentions of gettin aftermarket struts or coilovers but dont have all the money to dump on them at once what's wrong with lowering on factory struts. I did it for six months on S-techs and then got Basics. Also an intake is an intake unless you're dealing with MAF. Other than that it's just air and you could also save some money by gettin someone to mock you up a custom one.

Personally i don't go the cheap route but I dont fault anybody who's short on cash but still wants to mod their ride. There are certain things on our cars that you dont necessarily need to buy the brand name in order to get a decent part.
Abailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
get new HFP, intake, tint http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fujit...spagenameZWDVW
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VTECCoupe View Post
Don't lower on factory struts How many times has this been discussed.

Jesus, ebay cold air...

I have an option.

Option #4

Save enough money to buy QUALITY parts that are NEW instead of spending what little money you apparently have on crap.
First off, it's been discussed A LOT, but apparently you missed the majority of the conversations. The general consensus as far as I can tell is that it is better to lower on aftermarket shocks, BUT with springs like H-techs and pro-kits you can lower your car and run stock struts for quite some time without your shocks going. There are a lot of people who have done this, and continued to do this with good results. Lowering on s-techs or something like that, however, WILL blow your shocks in a hurry and become bouncy which is why people generally discourage against lowering that far on stock shocks. I ran h-techs on stock shocks for a couple months. They are designed around the stock shocks, and the stock shocks handle them just fine. No bounce at all.

Secondly, stop being an ass and insulting him for no reason. Why buy all new parts? Some people can't afford all new parts, and others realize that new doesn't always mean significantly better. A lot of times you can get a lot more bang for your buck by going used. Some used stuff is in near-perfect condition anyway. I bought my fogs used, and I would buy a number of other things used. Not because I can't afford it new, but because if you can spend less money and get the same thing, why spend more?

I bet you get your car serviced at the dealership.
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #10

i have nuespeed springs on stock shocks now for 5 yrs lol
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Envious of J35's

Tein s-techs, find em with free shipping and buy some KYB Gr-2s for cheap or as cheap as you can when factoring in the shipping. If you can get em both shipped for free somewhere, do that.

struts:
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index....cted_year=2004
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...04%20Honda

springs:
http://www.prostreetonline.com/a/hon...ng-springs.asp

Intake:
http://www.racinglab.com/fujita-cai-ma-1006-1.html

170+396+223=$789

Get tint later, Save for rims and tires or find a store thats giving 0% interest for 12 months on purchases made with their credit card, apply for card and scoop some wheels and pay monthly on 'em with no interest. But make sure you pay enough monthly to have them paid off before the 12 months is up.. Otherwise you get hit with all the interest..
AcCoCuOpReD-04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
i have nuespeed springs on stock shocks now for 5 yrs lol
damn, haha, time for some new shocks huh.
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #13
BLK HWAK

i would go #1, but no tint (yet) , and will get either sway/strut..

Sell your rims to me !

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...d.php?t=119522
minhokim86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #14

Im gonna review my option and post it this afternoon
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #15
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Im gonna review my option and post it this afternoon

i have a set of eibach pro-kits already mounted on stock shocks and struts. still in good condition. i'll sell it to you for 150 +shipping. Than you can pull your stock ones out and directly put these ones in. and if these shocks go bad, you can switch them out with your stock shocks. they will lower your car about 1.5" in front and 1.7-1.8 in rear and will take away that offroad look. Save you some money here bro and you can install it yourself since you don't need to compress any springs etc. Direct plug and play. Just need a 17" socket/wrench, a 14" deep socket/wrench. 12" deep socket or wrench, and a 19" deep for your lugnuts.

PM me.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #16

i have an ebay intake laying around..u can have it for real cheap if u wanna try it out urself..P/M me..
V6MT26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
i have a set of eibach pro-kits already mounted on stock shocks and struts. still in good condition. i'll sell it to you for 150 +shipping. Than you can pull your stock ones out and directly put these ones in. and if these shocks go bad, you can switch them out with your stock shocks. they will lower your car about 1.5" in front and 1.7-1.8 in rear and will take away that offroad look. Save you some money here bro and you can install it yourself since you don't need to compress any springs etc. Direct plug and play. Just need a 17" socket/wrench, a 14" deep socket/wrench. 12" deep socket or wrench, and a 19" deep for your lugnuts.

PM me.
pm sent! do you have pics of them installed on the car...
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6MT26 View Post
i have an ebay intake laying around..u can have it for real cheap if u wanna try it out urself..P/M me..
pm sent
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #19

Here are my new option:
Ill keep my stock rims and wait till there is no snow (1 month) to buy new tires... If I find a TL-S set of wheel later, Ill keep my tire since they are both 17"

CAI is going there for shure (more for the sound VTAK FTW ! than for the hp gain)

Problem is now the suspention

I just got the offer of the guy 3 post on top of this one that seems to be good... anyway I think ill put back my stock suspention next winter cuz I have the HFP lip kit and it is pretty low already

Quote:
eibach pro-kits already mounted on stock shocks and struts. still in good condition. i'll sell it to you for 150 +shipping.
Do you think this could be good since i will only use them 7 month / year ? and may upgrate to tein basics or similar next year when I will have more money. I also consider doing the TL rear and front sway bar since it's just 100$ and seems to improve the handling of the car...

For the CAI I think Ill buy the ebay one whit a good filter like K&N or AEM since it's just a peice of pipe and I don't realy care if I have 10more hp whit AEM for 300$ or 8 more HP whit the Ebay one i'm buying it more for the sound than for the power...

Tint will be done in 3 weeks

so now I have Suspention = 150$ + 100$ = 250$
CAI = 80 +-
Tint 160$
Some money left to buy my tires in one month and to do the aligment after the suspention work..

Wat do you think of this setup ?

I know I have to pay to play when it come to car modding but certain thing like a AEM cold air brand new is like 350$ and I think its too ****ing expansive for what it give in return...

I know I should buy a new suspention but buying spring to put on my stock struts seems not to buy a good idea, but buying springs whit someone else stock strut seems like a better idea since I still got my stock one if something gone bad... I can also seel the lowering spring to someone else if I decide to buy Tein Basics later
I don't want to buy cheap thing but I don't see why I souldn't buy used thing if they still works good and will not cause more problem to the car
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #20
Bobby Lane Racing

Old March 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #21

nice car !!! I got exactly the same car as you and that drop is just enough for me... How many miles do you think they arew gonna last
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #22
Bobby Lane Racing

i have under 10k, on the springs. about 30 on the shock and struts. they should be fine after 7 months when you plan no getting teins. you should beable to sell the springs for 100 bucks easily.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #23

ok well for that price ill think Ill take them give me the price for the shipping... this is a way better deal than the HFP susp setup for 400$
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #24

since we're talking about all these diff mods here, i was wondering has anyone ever tried that weapon R dragon intake. lol
Clipsz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #25

I don't think so
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanke View Post
First off, it's been discussed A LOT, but apparently you missed the majority of the conversations. The general consensus as far as I can tell is that it is better to lower on aftermarket shocks, BUT with springs like H-techs and pro-kits you can lower your car and run stock struts for quite some time without your shocks going. There are a lot of people who have done this, and continued to do this with good results. Lowering on s-techs or something like that, however, WILL blow your shocks in a hurry and become bouncy which is why people generally discourage against lowering that far on stock shocks. I ran h-techs on stock shocks for a couple months. They are designed around the stock shocks, and the stock shocks handle them just fine. No bounce at all.

Secondly, stop being an ass and insulting him for no reason. Why buy all new parts? Some people can't afford all new parts, and others realize that new doesn't always mean significantly better. A lot of times you can get a lot more bang for your buck by going used. Some used stuff is in near-perfect condition anyway. I bought my fogs used, and I would buy a number of other things used. Not because I can't afford it new, but because if you can spend less money and get the same thing, why spend more?

I bet you get your car serviced at the dealership.
I haven't paid a dealership a dime in about five years. I've done about 5 timing belts on the J-series

You will blow your factory struts and you will have unsafe damping because the factory struts are not valved for being lowered.

Used struts are very, very different than used fogs.

If he's that bad off and he needs to save $200 by buying struts with 50k miles on them, he probably can't afford his car in the first place I buy plenty of parts used. Used struts? Hell no.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanke View Post
damn, haha, time for some new shocks huh.
i have a set of kyb gr-2 sitting... they are on stand-by
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM   #28

TL-S wheels are 18" I believe. The standard TL wheels are 17", but an inch wider than the accord 17" wheels. If you get tires with the intention of switching them over to the 17" TL wheels, get them wide so that you can mount them on the TL wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in