A cold air intake Question ? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM   #1

A cold air intake Question ?

Can someone tell me the diffrence between name brand cold air intakes VS no name like the one's you find on E-bay for 60/100 dollars complete.
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM   #2

i dont think are any differences between them all.I orderd an ebay cai sat. itll get here on mon.the only diff can be the filter, and price.i ordered the bomz racing cai.what else can be different a tube is a tube.
njhustler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM   #3
central Cali accords

Send a message via AIM to mista jc
quality, fitment, customer service, reliability, etc.
mista jc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM   #4
MexAccord Team

Send a message via MSN to patofdzb
most of the time it's just a crappy filter, b/c i mean its just a tube.
yet some times it could also be fitment.
patofdzb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
its just really cheap stuff - sometimes its incomplete, alot of the time its fitament and quality
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #6

I was thinking of buying the V2 but thats about 300.00 but if they all do the same thing i guess i'll try to get something less xpensive.Thanks
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #7
User not found

Well the name brand products usually have some R&D behind it, with tests to back up their claim (their product is "always" better than competitors during tests ).
The product probably has the same effect on the cars air input and you could probably build one yourself for fraction of the cost. The main problem would be the pipe, try to get something that can take the high temperature and rust resistant parts. Just remember that if something goes wrong and you get dirt or some melted plastic, the engine might not like it much.
Pyrocite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Bobby Lane Racing

just change the filter, and the hose coupling, and clamps and you will be fine.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #9

ebay is not all that bad..it depends on which seller you buy it from..but the quality of the pipe is pretty good..just replace the cheapO filter and you'll be good..
V6MT26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #10

So njhustler, this is what you are going to put under your hood?
Sorry, but I still think the V2 is better. Is it worth hundreds more? Maybe, maybe not, but dual chamber is better than single.
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Breed View Post
So njhustler, this is what you are going to put under your hood?
Sorry, but I still think the V2 is better. Is it worth hundreds more? Maybe, maybe not, but dual chamber is better than single.
explain why dual chamber is better than single besides the fact that it looks cool, and has AEM v2 written all over it.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
explain why dual chamber is better than single besides the fact that it looks cool, and has AEM v2 written all over it.
Multiple frequency sound waves yo!
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #13

These companies R&D must not be that great. Cuz I havent seen a 15-20hp gain from an intake yet! Like nighthawk said, change out the filter, hose coupling, and clamps and you'll get the same results.
Abailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Bobby Lane Racing

you won't see that significant of a gain in the 10-30 HP range unless you have a monster of an engine that has been so restricted by the stock air box, for example if you throw an intake on a HEMI or SRT8.. you'll see some monstrous gains.
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #15

Yeah we had a GTO at my dealership that had an intake and had a gain of 19hp. But these kind of cars are the exception to the rule that I didnt feel were worth mentioning for the sake of the engines we're working with.
Abailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Yes. I've seen cars with ebay CAI's dyno at less WHP than stock because they don't stack pressure waves nearly as well.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
If it works like its suppose to, when the air in one chamber is moving faster than the other, it creates a vacuum which helps draw in more air. This is how the Weapon-R Secret weapon intake is suppose to work. When I called AEM and asked them about their V2 vs. Weapon-R's Weapon, they got real quite and just said their V2 works on a different design. Ok? Two chambers is two chambers, what else could they be doing?
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #18
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
K&N claims 12HP gain with their CAI, i think its BS. too much HP gain for our cars, since V2 was claiming like 6HP or so
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #19
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
If it works like its suppose to, when the air in one chamber is moving faster than the other, it creates a vacuum which helps draw in more air. This is how the Weapon-R Secret weapon intake is suppose to work. When I called AEM and asked them about their V2 vs. Weapon-R's Weapon, they got real quite and just said their V2 works on a different design. Ok? Two chambers is two chambers, what else could they be doing?
Actually having owned both inakes I can honestly say the AEM is made much much better than the Weapon-R and also the design is pretty different; yes same idea but much different application. The Weapon-R outside tube is the same diameter as a normal 3" intake, it just has a shorter smaller inside tube that's (gasp!) rivited on and is on the throttle body side of the intake. The V2 outside tube is like 4+" and tappers to 3" to create more of a chamber and the interior smaller tube is welded in and is located in the middle of the tubing in between the air filter side and the throttle body side. After buying a Secret Weapon intake once I'd never ever do it again. AEM FTW!
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Actually having owned both inakes I can honestly say the AEM is made much much better than the Weapon-R and also the design is pretty different; yes same idea but much different application. The Weapon-R outside tube is the same diameter as a normal 3" intake, it just has a shorter smaller inside tube that's (gasp!) rivited on and is on the throttle body side of the intake. The V2 outside tube is like 4+" and tappers to 3" to create more of a chamber and the interior smaller tube is welded in and is located in the middle of the tubing in between the air filter side and the throttle body side. After buying a Secret Weapon intake once I'd never ever do it again. AEM FTW!
Cool, nothing like a good comparo! Wasn't it you who said the Weapon-R intake "looked like it was built in a High-School shop class"? Lolz.
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #21
08 Altima Hybrid....

I think something to pay attention to is the coupler between the throttle body and tube.
I wanted to make sure that this area is where it funneled into the smaller diameter. A good design is to have one side of the coupler the size of the throttle body and the other side larger to maximize air flow from a larger dia. tube.
Common sense told me if there is going to be a bottle neck make sure it is the throttle body itself and not the tube.
So when I see CAI with straight couplers from the body to the tube I think "Cheap....bad design."
6spNaviRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #22
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Cool, nothing like a good comparo! Wasn't it you who said the Weapon-R intake "looked like it was built in a High-School shop class"? Lolz.
Yep, that was me! LOL! It's true. Shizzit was rivited together and the little rivit ball was rattling around in it. I was definitely disappointed in the quality, not to mention it hummed like a UFO when I finally got it on. Oh, and the instructions are photocopies of photocopies.
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Yep, that was me! LOL! It's true. Shizzit was rivited together and the little rivit ball was rattling around in it. I was definitely disappointed in the quality, not to mention it hummed like a UFO when I finally got it on. Oh, and the instructions are photocopies of photocopies.
Wow, I think I'm taking that POS off my Ebay watch list
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #24
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Wow, I think I'm taking that POS off my Ebay watch list
Here's a picture. There's the inside tube riveted on top and bottom. The rubber tubes were those really cheap flimsy thin soft kind and like I mentioned before the instructions were the worst I've ever seen with any product. Universal mounting bracket FTL. Makes me wonder how they stay in business.

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #25
From J30A to 4g63

Send a message via AIM to 0Tolerance Send a message via MSN to 0Tolerance Send a message via Yahoo to 0Tolerance Send a message via Skype™ to 0Tolerance
Those intakes just 'look' nice but they perform like pure crap. They run terrible on FI cars also. Tried this out once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
0Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #26
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I'd stay with name brands because of R&D, quality, better filters, etc. If you're going to modify the intake system, highly recommend the V2. Why, because I have it and it was money well spent. Love driving my car on cold nights/days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #27

I like K&N because all ready cut for bipass valve
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in