Borla exhaust install done, if you used search, then read this. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Rebirth

Exclamation Borla exhaust install done, if you used search, then read this.

UPDATED: In an effort to keep most of the information in the original post, I am going to answer the questions posted at the end of the post.

I spent a lot of time searching the forums for what others ran into with the Borla exhaust system and the difficulty level and so forth. I found a bunch of great information and wanted to post up a quick reference guide for future members that might be looking for one resource for all things relating to this exhaust system.

First, prices vary. You should expect to pay in the mid $600 range for the exhaust.

http://www.ajusa.com is the lowest price I was able to find at $636 shipped.

The box comes with all the piping, mufflers and clamps. Plus easy to read directions. The exhaust system DOES NOT need to be welded. It bolts and clamps right up.

The difficulty level of doing this install is very low. Any beginner, with basic hand tools, some Liquid Wrench or WD-40 and possibly air tools can do the entire removal and install in under an hour.

The most difficult part of the entire install process is removing the three bolts that secure the stock exhaust to the catalytic converter. Just spray them with some lubricating spray, let it soak in for about 15 minutes or so and then either use a breaker bar or an air gun with a 9/16 socket to remove the three bolts.

It is easier if you have someone to help you, but this install can be totally done by yourself. I did the entire install with no assistance. You jack the car up, secure it with jack stands (I recommend the stock jack points) and ensure the car is stable before getting underneath. If you have 4 jack stands, that would be best, plus either another set of jack stands to help with the exhaust system removal or anything that can secure the rear of the exhaust long enough until you remove it. The OEM exhaust setup is much heavier then the Borla, but totally capable of being lifted by one person.

Basically follow the directions that Borla gives you. The installation is easy. Just loosely bolt up the pieces using the original bolts and the clamps that Borla provides. Slowly adjust the exhaust so your tips align and then tighten things up. There really is not much to it.

I would highly recommend following Borla's recommend torque setting of 32-35 ft/lbs on the clamps. I used the same for the stock manifold bolts too.

Here is some answers to many popular questions about this exhaust. YMMV and my install was done on an 04 Auto V6.

1.) Yes, the Borla is probably the quietest of the after market exhaust systems on the market. If you are looking for a loud exhaust, this is not for you. If you are looking for an exhaust that will provide a little bit of a performance gain, plus minimal noise increasing, then this would be a great option.

2.) The sound that does come out is deep, does not drone and is barely noticeable under 2k and above 4k RPM.

3. The exhaust tips sit pretty flush with a stock bumper, however if you have the OEM kit, expect it to sit recessed. It is still nicer then the stock OEM tips, but if you are looking for a real aggressive looking exhaust, then again I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Final Thoughts. If you are looking for an after market exhaust system that will give you a nice deep tone (even better if you couple with a AEM V2) and looks almost stock with a few extra HP, then you should definitely go with this exhaust. There are several sound clips and video clips of this exhaust in action. They range from MT to Auto and from with resonators and without. You really are not going to be able to judge until you get it. I am quite pleased with the sound it makes and with the design.

UPDATED:
- It does not drone at all. The sound is a nice deep tone. It sounds great. No headaches.
- Performance differences I don't think I can say I would really notice so far, but it has only been one day. As I am now just starting to add some performance mods. Always remember that performance is going to be the sum of all parts and not necessarily one item. This was the first performance mod added, but I have several more coming in the next few days, so I would imagine it will help once all installed.
- Pictures are coming. It was not a very clear day outside and seeing as I am getting an AEM V2 and new wheels in the upcoming weeks (waiting on delivery) I will post up some complete pictures when done and revive the thread. Probably in two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VTECCoupe View Post
Looks like you need to get it extended, which answers my other question.
Actually, I like the way I set it up, where it sits under the lip some. Give it that factory look, yet you surprise some people by the nice deep sound. Remember, without the OEM lip, it would sit close to flush with the rear bumper. One thing you can definitely do is adjust where the center dual pipe comes out of the center resonator, to sit outward slightly further and then clamp tight. This way it would adjust the entire exhaust outward even further, without having to add extenders. Also, I need to adjust the right side muffler to be better centered. I will do this on Sunday and take better pictures. Luckily, you can easily make this adjustment as the clamps they provide you with are easy to adjust.

Last edited by skizot; December 28th, 2008 at 08:13 AM..
skizot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Awesome write up man! Any pics/videos? I'm still contemplating which exhaust to get. Does it drone at all while in 6th gear/light throttle? One thing I want to avoid at all costs is exhaust drone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Thanks for the write-up. I plan on getting the Borla soon - I like the looks of it, the price is reasonable, and if you want a "louder" sound you can always cut out the pre-muffler and resonator and give you a deeper rumble from what i've read. Glad you're enjoying it...
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 7th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #4

I just got a good deal on one but I haven't intalled it because I'm waiting for Richies J-pipe and test pipe ..Hopefully, I will get them soon ...
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Very informative write up. If I ended up going with a brand name catback I would've gone with the Borla. Every Boral system I've ever heard sounds great. Post some pictures of the installed exhaust if you get a chance.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #6

Great write up, will remember this in the future
Accord6-6wanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #7

Have you noticed any differences in performance?
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #8

i will be installing in in my 04 v6 coupe AT also!
any hp gain? acceleration?
yunip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Rebirth

Added pictures to original post.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe

99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VTECCoupe View Post
Actually, I like the way I set it up, where it sits under the lip some. Give it that factory look, yet you surprise some people by the nice deep sound. Remember, without the OEM lip, it would sit close to flush with the rear bumper. One thing you can definitely do is adjust where the center dual pipe comes out of the center resonator, to sit outward slightly further and then clamp tight. This way it would adjust the entire exhaust outward even further, without having to add extenders. Also, I need to adjust the right side muffler to be better centered. I will do this on Sunday and take better pictures. Luckily, you can easily make this adjustment as the clamps they provide you with are easy to adjust.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #12

round $630 ish shiped and magnaflow around $494 shiped which would you guys go with I have an 05 V6 sedan auto with intake and j-pipe.
worldon1finger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #13
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
nice write up!
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #14
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
excellent write up!!! all write up's should be this good!!
thanks for taking the time in doing this

Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in