Type-S intake mani on j30? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1

Type-S intake mani on j30?

Would an intake manifold from a CL-TL type S work on the Accord j30 engines? From what I've seen, the J32 makes peak torque all the way from 3000-5000 rpms, and IIRC it utilizes a "butterfly" in the intake runners to increase the midrange torque, just like the Integra GSR did. If they did fit(I'm sure one of you J32/J35 swap guys would know if it will) would it be a worthwhile endeavor to increase the midrange torque of the somewhat high strung(peak torque at 5000 rpms, which probably climbs into higher rpms with intake and exhaust mods) j30 engine?
Accord6-6wanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #2
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord6-6wanter View Post
Would an intake manifold from a CL-TL type S work on the Accord j30 engines? From what I've seen, the J32 makes peak torque all the way from 3000-5000 rpms, and IIRC it utilizes a "butterfly" in the intake runners to increase the midrange torque, just like the Integra GSR did. If they did fit(I'm sure one of you J32/J35 swap guys would know if it will) would it be a worthwhile endeavor to increase the midrange torque of the somewhat high strung(peak torque at 5000 rpms, which probably climbs into higher rpms with intake and exhaust mods) j30 engine?
The 7th gen 6 speeds have the same intake manifold with the butterfly as the 04+ TL. I'm assuming you have an auto since you're asking this, in which case you would have to swap the ecu or whatever electronics control the butterfly since the auto Accords don't have the butterfly stock. IMO, if you're auto, it's not worth it, if your manual, you already have it.

I have an 04 TL engine in my auto Accord and had to swap the intake manifold from my J30 to the J32 because the butterfly would have been useless anyway. But, if you are going through with the swap, I have a pristine 04 TL intake manifold with the butterfly I can sell to you
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #3

Well since they use the same mani, this thread can be locked lol. One more thing learned today.

Is the butterfly opening what causes the "sonorous" sound at a certain rpm, like I once read in a magazine review of the Accord v6 6 speed? I remember they said this noise only happens on the 6 speeds and not automatics, but they didn't mention the butterflies.

No, as my title alludes to, I don't own an Accord yet but I will have one this summer, I'm already more than halfway to my savings goal. However, if I find a great deal on a CL-S when the time comes, I might go that route. I will keep my options open.

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #4
V6P Groupbuy Approved

How much do you want for the intake manifold? Maybe I can build some type of controller for the motor.
Richie V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #5
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Easy enough Richie, just grab so type of tach, maybe the TTL signal for one of the ignition coils and then use a H-Bridge motor circuit, there is a mag switch in the motor to tell when it is fully closed.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord6-6wanter View Post
Well since they use the same mani, this thread can be locked lol. One more thing learned today.

Is the butterfly opening what causes the "sonorous" sound at a certain rpm, like I once read in a magazine review of the Accord v6 6 speed? I remember they said this noise only happens on the 6 speeds and not automatics, but they didn't mention the butterflies.

No, as my title alludes to, I don't own an Accord yet but I will have one this summer, I'm already more than halfway to my savings goal. However, if I find a great deal on a CL-S when the time comes, I might go that route. I will keep my options open.
The intake opens at 4000RPM, VTEC is at 4800RPM.

Make sure to test drive many other cars, there are many great cars in the price range. You're well within the amount of money for a good down payment...if you get a good interest rate you'll only end up paying $60-80/mo in interest.

As far as the CL-S, I love the LSD and the motor, but I hate the 6th gen Accord interior.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VTECCoupe View Post

Make sure to test drive many other cars, there are many great cars in the price range. You're well within the amount of money for a good down payment...if you get a good interest rate you'll only end up paying $60-80/mo in interest.

As far as the CL-S, I love the LSD and the motor, but I hate the 6th gen Accord interior.
If there was one thing about my previous 03 CL-S I would trade off for my 7th Gen AV6 it was the interior. Incredibly comfy seats, silver faced gauges, nicer leather than the Accord and memory seats. How exactly is it anything like a 6th Gen Accord?
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #8
V6P Groupbuy Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
Easy enough Richie, just grab so type of tach, maybe the TTL signal for one of the ignition coils and then use a H-Bridge motor circuit, there is a mag switch in the motor to tell when it is fully closed.
sounds fun!
Richie V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #9
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
If there was one thing about my previous 03 CL-S I would trade off for my 7th Gen AV6 it was the interior. Incredibly comfy seats, silver faced gauges, nicer leather than the Accord and memory seats. How exactly is it anything like a 6th Gen Accord?

It's way nicer and definitely more attractive than the interior of the 6th gen Accord. And it's far less 'plasticky' than the 7G and 8G Accord interiors. I wish my Accord had the CL-S' interior
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VTECCoupe View Post

Yeah one thing I noticed is all the awesome cars in this price range. It seems like in 02-03 the current version of the "pony wars" made the automakers really step up, and a lot of cars were greatly improved in many ways. I originally looked into the Altima 3.5 SE, s2000 and in fact when I intially started saving, I intended to buy an RSX-S. But when I looked at what all was out there, and searched to see what I could find in the 15k ballpark, the omnipotent Accord/CL-S really impressed me. The credit union I bank with has good interest rates, offering 6% apr for 2002+ model cars.
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
It's the little things that get to me. The window switches, wiper/lighting stalks, steering wheel, lots of secondary controls were the exact parts bin same. Plus it had the same general feel as the 6th gen. Oh and that horrid colored interior lighting. After 245k miles in the 6th gen I got a little sick of how they felt. The CL-S is a nice car but it was pretty obviously a dressed up Accord. I didn't want something that reminded me of what I was getting rid of

Yes interior quality was higher on the 6th gen Accord/2nd gen CL than it is on the 7th gen Accord, but I'll trade a soft touch dash for the better lighting, electroluminscent gauges, sliding armrest, better seats (for my frame), etc.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to grant8311 Send a message via MSN to grant8311
Sorry to bring this back up, but would it be possible to use a CL Type-S ecu on the accord? The 2nd gen CL/TL's did have the dual stage intake manifold in paired w/an auto.

About the interior: I'll have to agree especially being an owner of a CL Type-S. The interior is nice..and certain areas seem more durable. but the design still outdated to me. The perforated Certain controls are a bit awkard, but significant amount more features than the Accord.

th gen accord interiors are not that bad. They've improved on seating postion and the seats themselves vastly. I don't feel so high up in the cabin as I do with the CL. Placement of controls are also much improved. They also use them in accords else where (even the TSX), its main comparison is would be the new TL.

There's plus and minus's of both. One thing that sold me on the CL is the solid transmission (6 speed btw) compared to the other v6 hondas/acuras. The LSD helps a lot, and I don't have the transmission issues like the av6 6 speeds have.

As far as horsepower.. hauling an extra 400lbs with an extra 20hp isnt going to make the CL that much faster
grant8311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #13
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

2nd gen TL/CL/CL-S sensors are very different from the 7th gen AV6, so no, you could not get the older ECU to run a 7th gen.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in