which plugs to use ?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM   #1

which plugs to use ??

have a 03' accord ex...

wondering which plugs to use ???

seems like alot of people are using the DENSO IK16 IRIDIUM POWER SPARK PLUG: IK16

are those best for improved performance and gas mileage ?

thanks guys
whit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2

Either Denso or NGK iridium would work fine. NGK is what comes from the factory but Denso is pretty much the same. Just get whichever you can find the cheapest.
Abailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3

http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html

These plugs are pricey, but really are amazing. They have been studied in a few tuner mags and all were very impressed.
u2nyr27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM   #4

NGK Lazer platinum.
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2nyr27 View Post

These plugs are pricey, but really are amazing. They have been studied in a few tuner mags and all were very impressed.
These are great especially if you pair them with Okada ignition coils. Only downside is to get the coils and the pulse plugs will run you close to $900.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Just put in some Denso IK22's and they are way better then the 30K NGK platinum plugs that I had in before.

coils are an interesting idea though.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM   #7
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaqui74 View Post
NGK Lazer platinum.
Stock is Iridium, why down grade to platnum???

I have seen both Deno and Iridium come out from the factory, guess which ever is cheaper at the time Honda ordered them.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM   #8
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Anyone have a old K ignition coil? I want to see how different they are from the J coils and weather or not the Okada K coils could be used on Js.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM   #9

Paul you can check out ours next time we come through. BTW I've put off the install of the bracket for the Tq damper for now cuz I have something else I wanted to get you put in for me too.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Pilot & Accord

Quote:

Yes, I read about them, interesting technology. No word about how long they last though... and of course (just like anything else that is just too good) not available in Canada, eek. (edit: actually, they are, ooops)

Last edited by TonyWare; June 1st, 2008 at 03:49 PM..
TonyWare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM   #11
SSM_AV6-6

I've liked the Denso Iridiums I have used in various Hondas.
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM   #12

The pulstars have been averaging AROUND 10 whp. Yes, just with the plugs. And these tests have been on a variety of cars, the most talked about a 350z with only 1500 miles on it and just an intake/exhaust. That one showed a 10whp gain after 3 pulls. Just for the record these tests didnt come from the pulstar website, they came from skeptical tuner mags. And dont anyone pull the dyno card on me, if you dont believe it dont buy em. Im not paying for a dyno just to test out spark plugs!
u2nyr27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:50 PM   #13

IMO, the best plugs are OEM or whatever is stated in the manual.
Battery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #14

I was going to buy a set of those Pulstars for my DD (only need 4 of them for that car), but I'm not sure what would happen with the MSD ignition amplifier I have in there?!
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #15

Has anyone actually put these Pulstar plugs in their Accord? As for how long they are suppose to last it says on their website that they should last 50,000 miles
V6AccordEX6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #16

Put some in my WRX... and after about 1000 something miles I noticed something was odd with the firing on acceleration, and on the way home to check the car I got a check engine light. I thought it could be several things. After about four hours checking around I decided the only thing that it could have really changed was the plugs. So I ran up got some NGK's and plugged them in. And if anyone had worked on those 2.0 WRX's it's not easy to get to the right two! And it hasn't misfired once, or had the same problem again... And, I can't take credit for finding the error in my ways... I have to credit my girlfriend for mentioning it. So take it for what it's worth.
J30_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #17
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
^^ Turbocharged vehicle maybe responded differently.
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #18
Honda Rookie

$25/plug?!?!?!? Damn thats expensive. But if the power gain is there, then its well worth it.

But 10 Wheel Horsepower (what is that, like, 15 at the crank?) Thats a lot of power.... is that realistic?
pbook4g5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #19
JDM FTW!!!11one!

Quote:
The pulstars have been averaging AROUND 10 whp. Yes, just with the plugs. And these tests have been on a variety of cars, the most talked about a 350z with only 1500 miles on it and just an intake/exhaust. That one showed a 10whp gain after 3 pulls. Just for the record these tests didnt come from the pulstar website, they came from skeptical tuner mags. And dont anyone pull the dyno card on me, if you dont believe it dont buy em. Im not paying for a dyno just to test out spark plugs!
i read an article where these plugs were dyno'd in the real world and there were no power gains whatsoever. i dont buy into those plugs at all. if they really did work, why wouldnt honda sell them in their cars to begin with?

stick with OEM.
JBLAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Pilot & Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLAccord View Post
i read an article where these plugs were dyno'd in the real world and there were no power gains whatsoever. i dont buy into those plugs at all. if they really did work, why wouldnt honda sell them in their cars to begin with?

stick with OEM.
I can attest to this. I have them for about 2 months now, no difference what so ever. Maybe in the first 400-500 miles it did make a difference but not anymore. Sorry, but our on-board computer plays some funny games and compensates. At least this is my theory. Maybe it delivers less voltage to the plugs because it detects the huge flame? I don't know. However what I do know is that the power module on our cars has proven to be very restrictive in what we can and can not do to alter the fuel map. Maybe the 350Z power module computer doesn't restrict the engine so much.
TonyWare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #21
Currently Lifted :(

Send a message via AIM to AV6_Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWare View Post
I can attest to this. I have them for about 2 months now, no difference what so ever. Maybe in the first 400-500 miles it did make a difference but not anymore. Sorry, but our on-board computer plays some funny games and compensates. At least this is my theory. Maybe it delivers less voltage to the plugs because it detects the huge flame? I don't know. However what I do know is that the power module on our cars has proven to be very restrictive in what we can and can not do to alter the fuel map. Maybe the 350Z power module computer doesn't restrict the engine so much.
I actually know someone that put these plugs in and he says that there is a night and day difference, and he's had them for 8months now.
AV6_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #22
Sully

I have had Mine for 8000 miles now and i swear by them. i have wondered if my computer has adjusted to the plugs (after reading this thread) and is not sending the same amount of juice to the new plugs, but when i drive my friends accord (same injen intake as mine but he has the borla exhaust now and i have the magnaflow) His just doesnt have the same kick as mine. the only difference really are the Pulsestar plugs. Not a scientific a study i know, but something to think about.

Hmm... might have to exhange plugs in our cars and see what happens.. Might be interesting...

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
QBallSull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:19 AM   #23

What plug wires ?
Battery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:57 PM   #24
TrakCord

i tried the pulstars twice and they failed on me..misfired like crazy after a while idk i think if u run too lean u kill the plugs...i may try them in the future if i am able to tune
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in