Ignition Coil Packs - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #1
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
Ignition Coil Packs

Has anyone upgraded their ignition coils on their J30? I checked out Okada but they only have products for the 4 cyl. I want to change out plugs and upgrade the coil packs at the same time. Thanks in advance!
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

I have been trying to lay hands on a K coil for a while now so that I can check the differences to see if they can be used on the J with no luck......
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #3
✔ Verified Member

It sucks, I checked out all the "usuals" MSD, ACCEL....all to no luck!

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Well, the other thing to keep in mind is that these coils each have the ignitors built into the coil, so it is not like you can just grab 6 coils and use wires to the plugs eaither.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
I have been trying to lay hands on a K coil for a while now so that I can check the differences to see if they can be used on the J with no luck......

Gas, money and time is preventing me from helping you out on this one for the moment. This week that may change but I dont want to get my or your hopes up
Abailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #6
✔ Verified Member

Quote:
Well, the other thing to keep in mind is that these coils each have the ignitors built into the coil, so it is not like you can just grab 6 coils and use wires to the plugs eaither.
Might be a cost issue or something. I would have figured atleast one company out there has to have an upgrade over the stock components. As they all say "more spark, more power" but who knows. Maybe stock is the best for now?
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
SC J32A3 Accord

Anyone look at the newer J engine ignition coils? I did a quick search found that the newer 2008 MDX, Accord, Ridgeline, etc ignition coils have different part numbers than ours. Ofcourse fitment might be an issue. The RL and TL/TLS are the same as ours. I wonder if the RDX coils give a stronger spark for the turbo 4 cylinder.
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #8
V6P Groupbuy Approved

I have thought about using 6 universal coils and a wire performance wire set from the early 6th gen. The driver circuit shouldn't be too hard to build. It's just that coils cost about $50 bucks each and wire set would be pricey as well. I doubt many people would have the money for this type of setup.
Richie V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #9
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie V6 View Post
I have thought about using 6 universal coils and a wire performance wire set from the early 6th gen. The driver circuit shouldn't be too hard to build. It's just that coils cost about $50 bucks each and wire set would be pricey as well. I doubt many people would have the money for this type of setup.
I think that would depend on what benefits we receive. I'm interested and I'm sure the other supercharged and 3.5L guys would be interested as well.
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #10
V6P Groupbuy Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleekAV6 View Post
I think that would depend on what benefits we receive. I'm interested and I'm sure the other supercharged and 3.5L guys would be interested as well.
I am game for trying if there is interest. I have drawn up some sketches for a stainless coil holder bracket. What are some symptoms of a inadequate ignition system? Has anyone really pushed the boost level that far to need this?
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #11
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
I am game for trying if there is interest. I have drawn up some sketches for a stainless coil holder bracket. What are some symptoms of a inadequate ignition system? Has anyone really pushed the boost level that far to need this?
Here's my take, and it could very well be just be me and my tuning, NVA-AV6 can chime in since he'll know better. But on my car, J32A3 SC +410cc injectors with stock fuel pump and crushed FPR, I get pinging in the mid rpm range (3k-4.5k) on hard acceleration, past 4k to redline is usually fine. I've tried richening my fuel and retard the timing in those rpm ranges to the point my A/F goes =< 10:1 but that seems to only flood my engine and make the car bog, the pinging is less noticeable, but is still there. What does this have to do with the ignition system? My thinking is that I'm not getting enough spark, either my spark plugs need to be changed which I doubt because I had this problem when I first replaced the engine and installed new 2 step colder spark plugs; or because the spark provided by the ignition coils isn't sufficient to ignite all the fuel before it pre-detonates from the initial surge of fuel and compression from the SC. I know, more fuel is supposed to cool the cylinders and prevent pre-detonation, but that's not happening right now. Besides, stronger ignition means less timing retard and more power right?

My only concern is that someone will build an "aftermarket" ignition system that's more form than function. I really don't care if the holder's stainless steel, wires are gold plated, etc, if it doesn't give a performance benefit, it's not going under my hood.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #12
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Well, I finally got to look at a K ignition coil tonight, thanks Derick, the connection is the same, but the mounting bolt is in a different location and it is 5/8" longer than the J coils. Now what can be done is a adaptor can be made from aluminum to allow the K coils to be installed with no clearence issues I could find. If there is enough interest in being able to use Okada K coils with the Js I would be willing to work out the design of the adaptor and then perhaps Richie with his asain contacts can get them produced.

Also- SleekAV6, I would look at eaither removing or finding a low temp thermostat to try to alieviate the excessive cylinder temps. Do you have a EGT hooked up?
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #13
AccordingToSean

Send a message via AIM to AccordingToSean
Am having trouble understanding what this thing really is?????
AccordingToSean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #14
V6P Groupbuy Approved

Quote:
Here's my take, and it could very well be just be me and my tuning, NVA-AV6 can chime in since he'll know better. But on my car, J32A3 SC +410cc injectors with stock fuel pump and crushed FPR, I get pinging in the mid rpm range (3k-4.5k) on hard acceleration, past 4k to redline is usually fine. I've tried richening my fuel and retard the timing in those rpm ranges to the point my A/F goes =< 10:1 but that seems to only flood my engine and make the car bog, the pinging is less noticeable, but is still there. What does this have to do with the ignition system? My thinking is that I'm not getting enough spark, either my spark plugs need to be changed which I doubt because I had this problem when I first replaced the engine and installed new 2 step colder spark plugs; or because the spark provided by the ignition coils isn't sufficient to ignite all the fuel before it pre-detonates from the initial surge of fuel and compression from the SC. I know, more fuel is supposed to cool the cylinders and prevent pre-detonation, but that's not happening right now. Besides, stronger ignition means less timing retard and more power right?

My only concern is that someone will build an "aftermarket" ignition system that's more form than function. I really don't care if the holder's stainless steel, wires are gold plated, etc, if it doesn't give a performance benefit, it's not going under my hood.
I just mentioned the bracket since we will need a place to mount 6 coils. With electronics you can't just have stuff hanging around. If there is serious interest I'll make a investment into this project.

Heres what I was thinking.

Quote:
Well, I finally got to look at a K ignition coil tonight, thanks Derick, the connection is the same, but the mounting bolt is in a different location and it is 5/8" longer than the J coils. Now what can be done is a adaptor can be made from aluminum to allow the K coils to be installed with no clearence issues I could find. If there is enough interest in being able to use Okada K coils with the Js I would be willing to work out the design of the adaptor and then perhaps Richie with his asain contacts can get them produced.

Also- SleekAV6, I would look at eaither removing or finding a low temp thermostat to try to alieviate the excessive cylinder temps. Do you have a EGT hooked up?
I was just on the Okada site and I have a hard time accepting their products. Their coils look like modified OEM coils with some type of boost circuit or maybe just a sticker. If they are boosting the voltage to the primary of the ignition coil this would reduce the life of the coil dramatically. It might be worth a try but at about $1000 a set they are pretty pricey.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #15
JDM FTW!!!11one!

Quote:
i had my #3 coil crap out on me. i may still have it laying around. if i find it, i can ship it over and you can tinker with it.
JBLAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #16
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Thanks, cool.
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #17
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
no EGT, just a wideband A/F guage. My engine temp is pretty normal, under halfway on the stock coolant guage. Also, the pinging only occurs during midrange and goes away topend which I would think should be reverse if the cylinder temps are higher than normal no?
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #18
✔ Verified Member

Quote:

Why doesn't Okada just make a coil for the J's? I think their would be enough interest in the parts for Okada to produce them....
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #19
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
no EGT, just a wideband A/F guage. My engine temp is pretty normal, under halfway on the stock coolant guage. Also, the pinging only occurs during midrange and goes away topend which I would think should be reverse if the cylinder temps are higher than normal no?
It could be a hole in the map, do you have a log?
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #20
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by otsb708 View Post
Why doesn't Okada just make a coil for the J's? I think their would be enough interest in the parts for Okada to produce them....
They would probably be looking for 10K in projected unit sales before considering making them, and yet again, the Ks in the Civics, RSX get the goodies while we are left to make up our own stuff.
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #21
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
I just mentioned the bracket since we will need a place to mount 6 coils. With electronics you can't just have stuff hanging around. If there is serious interest I'll make a investment into this project.

Heres what I was thinking.

I was just on the Okada site and I have a hard time accepting their products. Their coils look like modified OEM coils with some type of boost circuit or maybe just a sticker. If they are boosting the voltage to the primary of the ignition coil this would reduce the life of the coil dramatically. It might be worth a try but at about $1000 a set they are pretty pricey.
All you need are some MOSFET drivers for the coils, the stock design is a constant 12V to the coil and is switched with a 5V CMOS signal. The next trick would be to also add a small PIC to detect the RPM and multi-strike.
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #22
V6P Groupbuy Approved

Quote:
All you need are some MOSFET drivers for the coils, the stock design is a constant 12V to the coil and is switched with a 5V CMOS signal. The next trick would be to also add a small PIC to detect the RPM and multi-strike.
I got some coils comings do you know if the 7th gen and 6th coil packs at the same.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #23
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
I got some coils comings do you know if the 7th gen and 6th coil packs at the same.
Yup, I have interchanged Acura, 6th, 7th gen coils with no issues.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #24
V6P Groupbuy Approved

Quote:
Yup, I have interchanged Acura, 6th, 7th gen coils with no issues.
kool ill post up some comparison vids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in