Results of airbox resonator removal - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #1
girl on cell in SUV =

Results of airbox resonator removal

Today, I removed the stock airbox resonator parts & I'm happy with the results. Being a little older now, I like a quiet car, but still want a little intimidation factor if needed. Also, I did not want any worries of sucking in water or other crap.
Everything sounds 99% same as stock until after 3000+ rpm. As rpm's go higher & vtec kicks in, the engine roars to life - definitely draws attention from others but just let off the throttle & you can sneak off quietly

(I know this is low buck, but it works fine for my needs. Considering I plan on keeping this car 200,000+ miles, I'm not going hardcore on mods.)

I was able to get everything out by turning the wheels to the left & only removing the fenderwell liner instead of the whole front end. All bolts are 10mm.

Last edited by turbines; February 20th, 2004 at 09:59 AM..
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #2
J30A4

does it sound any deeper like at low rmps? i wanna take out the resonator and make an ice box usiing the OEM Intake box.. i was thinkin of getting 3in pipeing to replace the plastic one.. or maybe just fit it throu it.. i ordered a k&n to replace the stock one.. can't wait to start my tweeking!! i'll ckeap u guys posted
raymas8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #3
Neurotic Member

Did you notice any performance gains ? Did it effect your lower rpm torque ? You're sucking in cooler air, so It should had done something

Sometimes altering the factory flow can change the way engine performs.. usually making it slower in the 1/4 :/
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 11th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #4
girl on cell in SUV =

As far as performance gains, I'm not really sure. I don't abuse/race my cars like I did a couple years ago But I did get on it a couple times & it seems like it pulls a little better.

As far as low end, I still have the somewhat restrictive aibox & stock filter. A true CAI like Injen or AEM will provide the best flow rates & best power gains on the high end, but at the risk of sucking more crap into your engine (just my opinion from past experiences in both auto & aviation). I'm going for longevity, so only stock filters for me.

My main goal was to try & pick up some MPG. This is my daily driver for work, 100 miles round trip averaging 65+ mph.

I've been getting a consistant 27.xx mpg since new. I'll know in a week or 2 if it had any effect on gas mileage.
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #5
J30A4

so i took out my resonator today, def need a k&N thou.. btw turbines is that resonator for the auto v6.. coz mine on the 6spd looks notthing like that
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #6
girl on cell in SUV =

Ya, mine is the auto - 6 spd's got just a "J" like tube attached
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #7
Who's yo daddy?

Talking Dead thread resurection

Quote:
Originally posted by raymas8
so i took out my resonator today, def need a k&N thou.. btw turbines is that resonator for the auto v6.. coz mine on the 6spd looks notthing like that
Ha.... figures. Raymas8 takes his 6MT intake "J" pipe off, that's what I just ordered! Sum biatch. Oh well, I'll post up results of the new OE CAI after it's installed....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cibalom Send a message via Yahoo to cibalom
Good job.
cibalom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to mishima8
Stupid question (yes they do exist)

Do you seal the hole or not? I would think not, but just confirming.

J

"sweetness is in the speed"
mishima8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #10
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cibalom Send a message via Yahoo to cibalom
No.
cibalom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to mishima8
Quote:
Originally posted by cibalom
No.
Ranks Rorge!

"sweetness is in the speed"
mishima8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #12

wow, way to bring this thread back from the long, long dead
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #13
Who's yo daddy?

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Captal
Sorry, just thought I'd spark some feedback from those who have done this on the 5AT cars. I'm not looking for huge gains, but a little "growl" and a pony or two would be nice as well.

Sometimes old thread revival sheds new light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #14

Has anybody looked at the resonator on the 04 tl? It looks like it has a cold air pickup at the front corner of the resonator pointing down. If so, how does it work, where does it pickup the cold air from, is that a sensor or electrical connector in the picture at the rear botton of the pickup? Would this setup be any good for those that want a quiet intake under normal driving but cold air and noise at full throttle, would it help power? It does flow enough air to let the j32 make 270+hp. Would it fit our cars, coupe & sedan. Would a sedan be better off with the 6mt intake instead of the resonator for a quiet intake?

Tim
never stock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #15
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by never stock
Has anybody looked at the resonator on the 04 tl? It looks like it has a cold air pickup at the front corner of the resonator pointing down. If so, how does it work, where does it pickup the cold air from, is that a sensor or electrical connector in the picture at the rear botton of the pickup? Would this setup be any good for those that want a quiet intake under normal driving but cold air and noise at full throttle, would it help power? It does flow enough air to let the j32 make 270+hp. Would it fit our cars, coupe & sedan. Would a sedan be better off with the 6mt intake instead of the resonator for a quiet intake?

Tim
Tim,

I never even thought to look into the TL intake system. I'll have to gander at that later today. As for the Accord 6MT cold air set-up on a 5AT sedan, I'll let everyone know shortly. My parts should be here early next week.

Hopefully it won't sound like an aftermarket CAI (which I doubt it will.) I don't want that much intake noise.

Old February 20th, 2004, 05:38 AM   #16

I would be interested in your findings, too, MackDaddy. I always like to make my mods invisible.
Thaddeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #17
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Thaddeus
I would be interested in your findings, too, MackDaddy. I always like to make my mods invisible.
Great minds think alike.

I'll make sure to post up results next week. Stay tuned!

Old February 20th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #18

so, im confused. i have a 6mt...so my air box is already similar to what your end result is once you mod it? so i cant mod my 6mt air box? i did i search but only got more confused..Thanx
silver6spd03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #19
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by silver6spd03
so, im confused. i have a 6mt...so my air box is already similar to what your end result is once you mod it? so i cant mod my 6mt air box? i did i search but only got more confused..Thanx
You've got what I ordered. The 6MT cars have no resonator assembly, just a "J" tube in the inner fenderwell. This basically acts like a CAI (Cold Air Induction.)

The only thing you could possibly do is buy a true aftermarket CAI system. That's up to you.....

How's the sound of the 6MT factory intake system? Just curious....

Thanks!

Old February 20th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #20

over all pretty mild. a little throaty in the mid rpms. it growls nice above 3800....but im used to it now, i was hoping i could improve its sound. thanx for your reply
silver6spd03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #21

I just remove my resonator, i will test it in a few moments, but i was thinking of making an extention to let more air come in!!!
v6 intruder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #22
girl on cell in SUV =

Quote:
No doubt - But at least people are searching before posting.

I don't think the 04 TL resonator will do anything - its basically a smaller version of our auto's & still sucks air by the radiator.

Without my auto resonator I was getting way too much dust on my filter. My filter was solid white due to the salty roads - not good.

I ended up putting the 6spd tube on because it is a true CAI - the inlet is in the fender up behind the yellow reflector in the headlight. All cold air & limited dust entry. FYI, if you plan on doing this you need a different fender bracket.

I also did 2 other mods to the stock airbox - basically a DIY Comptech box (sorry no pics)...
I took a dremel tool & cut down the baffle in the airbox bottom so the full filter area is used. Take off your airbox lid & you'll see what I mean.
Next, I removed the metal bar from the airbox lid. That bar is in the middle of the airstream entering the t/b. Just pop off the 2 circle deals outside the lid & there are phillips head screws. Remove these to take the bar out. To fill the holes, leave the inserts in the box & use countersink head screws, washers & nuts. The screw head goes in the box with the washer & nut outside.

It's still quiet at idle & cruise, but louder than before when you get on it. I have no dyno proof, but I'd say there is a definite improvement. From a hard dry pavement launch & traction control on, my auto breaks the tires loose when shifting to 2nd, & gives the traction light when going to 3rd. I still have the stock light 205/60 16's, but still not bad for an auto

I'm still thinking of moving the IAT sensor to the airbox lid like the V2 does. Eventually I'll get to it.

JetCat&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
BVM&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by turbines; February 20th, 2004 at 09:18 AM..
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #23
Who's yo daddy?

Turbines -

Great reply. Thanks much for sharing.

As for the different fender bracket.... I ordered everything in the pictorial parts view except for 5, 9, and 16. (9 is the rubber connection to the airbox, same p.n. as what I've got now.)

Are you saying I need another bracket to make this work?

TIA - Jim

Old February 20th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #24
girl on cell in SUV =

You can permanently remove #5 & #16 pins. It's just there to cover the autos's tube inlet. I have no idea why it's even on the 6spd's?

Now look under "Front Fenders" - Auto's have a fender bracket #3 that is in the way of the 6spd intake tube. For the 6spd intake tube you need bracket #6.
Just remove #3 & replace it with #6. You can access it by pulling the fender liner back.

Last edited by turbines; February 20th, 2004 at 10:06 AM..
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #25
Who's yo daddy?

Turbines -

Thanks much. I was able to add 1091052 "stay assembly" to my existing order (had not shipped yet.)

I realize the 5AT inlet cover will become useless. I've haven't a clue why they list in the 6MT parts list.

Thanks again,
Jim

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #26

Turbines:

My head is spinning... I have the same exact conditions as yourself. I want a little more noise after the 3k on my auto. I use this car for my commute to work at about 80 mls a day. Gee, it would really be great if "someone" could make a guide for this mod. *hint hint* Any chances? I am getting confused from the last thread to this one. Thanks for following it up though with this new one. I am going to go back to the old one and do a refresher. Thanks.
BeepBeepZipTang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:27 AM   #27

Wow i remove the resonator and it was heavy!!! the resonator + the stock box for the filter weights 11 pounds

Quote:
Without my auto resonator I was getting way too much dust on my filter
You have a point there!!! i will tried, it if i get to much dust, i will close it with something, but i think i will not put back de resonator it weight to much and it dount let air come in!!!
v6 intruder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2004, 06:23 PM   #28
J30A4

i should really check to see if my filter has accumulated dust after removing the resonator.. but i haven't driven her since november... damn fargo weather.. god i hope comptech makes a airbox soon coz thats gunna be altimate!
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #29
Who's yo daddy?

It's in. I'll post up the details later, but this is not plug-n-play for the sedan owners (go figure.) The fenders on sedan / coupe have a different part number, and that's where the problem lies. The fender "stay assembly" turbines said I needed would not fit. I'll have to cut and modify it, as I want to use the whole 6-spd intake assembly (not able to use #4 or #10 pieces right now.) Other than that, it does fit in there like it should.

Like I said, soon as I get the stay assembly tweeked the way I need it, I'll be sure and give details in this thread.

No butt dyno impression yet. I'm giving the ECU some time to adjust, and will post thoughts on performance in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Mackdaddy; February 29th, 2004 at 07:33 AM..
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #30
7th Gen ACcord

just wondering can the I4 resonator be taken out thru the wheelwell??
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in