Cams Question - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #1

Cams Question

How much hp should I gain from putting in the tl-s cams? Are there any negative effects? I have a kn cold air intake, ur pulley, j-pipe, test pipe, borla exhaust.

Thanks
worldon1finger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #2
Honda Rookie

Did some research on this myself for the past week or so... mostly everyone has been saying that VTEC engagement is definitely more noticeable with the TL-S cams, but everything else is normal. I have also read that if you do not have a standalone engine management program, our stock ECU will try to take all the settings back to stock as close as possible, so any power gains or noticeable changes might be closer to normal about a month in.

But no one has posted any dynos with just the addition of the cams, so it's hard to say. The general consensus is that if your car is up in mileage and almost due for the timing belt/water pump service you might as well throw the cams in as well. But nothing definite.
pbook4g5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #3
J35 6Spd

theres a huuuuge thread about the tl-s cams with lots of info/speculation, but there are no dynos yet for the camshaft increases alone... the thread is called something like "tl-s camshaft install done..." in the 7th gen performance section.. try to avoid multiple threads on the same topic.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #4
AccordingToSean

Send a message via AIM to AccordingToSean
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbook4g5 View Post
Did some research on this myself for the past week or so... mostly everyone has been saying that VTEC engagement is definitely more noticeable with the TL-S cams, but everything else is normal. I have also read that if you do not have a standalone engine management program, our stock ECU will try to take all the settings back to stock as close as possible, so any power gains or noticeable changes might be closer to normal about a month in.
yea but the thing is even with an engine managment your stock ECU eventually goes back to normal, and u keep needing to get a tune?
AccordingToSean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #5
j35 psi 6sp

^ if you have an engine management it wont go back to stock unless sombody tampers with it..ive been running a emu for over a year and its never gave me any problems..
capnff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #6
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

^Your a 6th gen, your ECU is not as smart as the 7th gen.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbook4g5 View Post
I have also read that if you do not have a standalone engine management program, our stock ECU will try to take all the settings back to stock as close as possible, so any power gains or noticeable changes might be closer to normal about a month in.
No one has ever said that. Do it and do a dyno for everyone else.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:42 AM   #8
ILUVBOX

You would be changing the engagement of v-tech when you throw in the TL-s cams cause the actual lobe changes the ECU cant correct for that (?) it is what it is.
BoxKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM   #9

^^ I believe the VTEC engagement point is the same on the TL-s as it is on the 7th gen AV6.

Chris: I think ILoveHonda mentioned the ECU recalibrating almost back to stock in his thread. However, butt dynos are, well..butt dynos

We finally have the first generation of Accord built with some performance in mind, and we still have no aftermarket. It upsets me We finally have the option of a 6 speed, more power, more torque, AND more demand of aftermarket, and still no support.

If Hondata would come out with a "J-Pro," not only would it be useful to us 7th gens, but TL, CL, 6th gens, and 8th gens. I think there would be plenty demand for it.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM   #10
ILUVBOX

^^^Agree not to disagree with J-Pro, but i believe the difference between the two cams are the change in VTEC lobe height making engagement more aggressive compared to ours. Correct me if Im wrong.
BoxKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
^^^Agree not to disagree with J-Pro, but i believe the difference between the two cams are the change in VTEC lobe height making engagement more aggressive compared to ours. Correct me if Im wrong.
You are correct. I meant the point of VTEC activation (~4900 RPM) is the same.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
The effect of the increased lift and duration was discussed in nauseating detail in the other giant TL-S cams thread. Different opinions, a bunch of butt dynos, people saying they feel the decreased inertia of a 4lb decrease, no one really knows for sure what the effect is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
We finally have the first generation of Accord built with some performance in mind, and we still have no aftermarket. It upsets me We finally have the option of a 6 speed, more power, more torque, AND more demand of aftermarket, and still no support.
+3486365563633428234872347

I assumed the aftermarket would pick up this car but they haven't...which is really disappointing. Apparently all Honda aftermarket is destined for K series engines. Look at all the support for the VQ35 Unfortunately most AV6 6MT's are driven by guys 2-3 times my age

This is why the community has to pick it up...hopefully we start seeing more dyno's of the performance parts available. It seems like there's a ton of people just throwing mods on hoping they produce gains I don't think I'll be building my car past I/E/suspension as I'm pretty intent on saving up for a second car or else I definetely would. If I had a bare J30A4 and some of the parts I could probably sneak it on one of the dyno's at work
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in