Intake theory! READ - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Banned

Intake theory! READ

okay guys. well first off i own a 2005 v6 6speed accord coupe.

one day i decided to take out the stock air box and just put a cone filter on the the stock rubber piping. and i drove around like that for a while, and then, i wanted to take it to the dealer ship for maintenance and i didnt want them to see that i have a filter, so i decided to put the stock intake back on, and to me it feels a lot quicker with the stock intake and filter.

does anybody aggree/disagree with this?
6speed05accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #2
03 AV6 Coupe

It takes a little while for your ECU to adjust to the increase in airflow from the new filter or intake. So you might not have had it on long enough to tell a difference. My CAI made a noticable difference for me in performance. It not only responds quicker but is faster throughout the powerband. Take it to the track and or dyno the car before and after. That will give you a better perspective.
hondav6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav6 View Post
It takes a little while for your ECU to adjust to the increase in airflow from the new filter or intake. So you might not have had it on long enough to tell a difference. My CAI made a noticable difference for me in performance. It not only responds quicker but is faster throughout the powerband. Take it to the track and or dyno the car before and after. That will give you a better perspective.
well i had the filter on for a couple months actually. and i realized that when i was going about 25, and i gunned it in first gear with filter, it feels more sluggish. when i gunned it without the filter my tires actually were chirping a little while i was getting up there, and i did it both on same day same road.

Old July 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Everything needs to be a matched pair, design wise. They make sure they are from the factory, so it sounds like your intake setup has thrown something off. Just stick with the stock setup.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Honda Rookie

1st gear at 25? I better hold on if I do that... nothing sluggish at all. Don't know what you are talking about.
pbook4g5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Banned

[QUOTE=pbook4g5;1417562]1st gear at 25? I better hold on if I do that... nothing sluggish at all. Don't know what you are talking about.

thats not what i mean. i guess i should have said it just didnt feel as quick as with stock intake.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Honda Rookie

it feels quicker to me. But my CAI has been on for a while so I don't really want to remember the stock airbox. lol
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #8
ILUVBOX

Every car is different, you cant compare one to another. Plus who puts the stock box back in after the put a CAI LOL!
BoxKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #9
Banned

[QUOTE=BoxKing;1417778]Every car is different, you cant compare one to another. Plus who puts the stock box back in after the put a CAI LOL![/QUOTE

i never said i have a CAI i just said i put a filter on stock piping...
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Maybe that filter reduces the max volume of the intake system, directs air differently in a manner that is not efficient for the stock intake pieces. For example the 01-03 CLS panel filters are half as thick as the Accord panel filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDA NEWS
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/781/releases/629
DUAL-STAGE INDUCTION SYSTEM (CL TYPE-S)
The CL Type-S features a high-performance, dual stage induction system, which contributes substantially to the output of the 260 horsepower engine. This system uses a large, two-chamber intake plenum separated by a butterfly valve, which is opened by an electric servomotor above 3800 rpm.
When the valve is closed during low-to-mid rpm operation, a resonance charge condition exists as pressure pulsations between cylinders assist the adjoining cylinder of each bank. In doing so, the volume of air filling the cylinders increases with the resonance energy generated by using the Helmholz principle. This Helmholz principle phenomenon (the same effect that increases bass response in a tuned-port sub-woofer) results in improved cylinder charging.
When this valve opens at 3800 rpm, an inertial charge condition is generated and increased air filling continues when the manifold (plenum) volume is increased. This phenomenon uses the high flow mass to pressurize the manifold port air, producing a natural "supercharger" effect.
This increased airflow and cylinder filling is a primary contributor to the CL Type-S engine's additional power. Additional improvements were made to reduce air intake restriction and increase total air flow volume through a larger 64 mm bore throttle body, a low restriction air intake and a high flow air filter.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #11
ILUVBOX

Oh, my bad!

Can you snap a shot of your engine bay, I'm having a hard time picturing your setup. This may help get some more answers to your post.

Still scratching my head.
BoxKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #12
I <3 GSXr

Did you remove the air box thats in the engine bay? or the resonator in the fender? Because if you just took off the resonator and put an air filter there youve got two points of restriction. There is a filter in the air box as well. if you took out the box thats in the engine bay, then IDK what to tell you. SOL perhaps
FenixQns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #13
Honda Rookie

He took out the resonator / air box, left the hose on, and then attached a filter to it (like a k&n or aem). Its probably like a DIY short ram intake. Thats what I'm imagining....

EDIT*- This is all assumed from his first post, I don't really know what he has on his car.
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbook4g5 View Post
He took out the resonator / air box, left the hose on, and then attached a filter to it (like a k&n or aem). Its probably like a DIY short ram intake. Thats what I'm imagining....

EDIT*- This is all assumed from his first post, I don't really know what he has on his car.
yea thats correct... its not that hard to imagine...

i took out the stock squar filter and the air box cover, and just attatched a 3 inch cone filter onto the stock piping...
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #15

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, these are my .02 cents:

Your setup might be throwing some warmer air to your engine. The stock setup brings air from outside of the engine bay to the engine. When removing the stock air box and installing a cone air filter to the stock rubber pipe, you might get some fresh air from outside at higher speeds, but the engine is also sucking hot air from inside the engine bay, and that might be taking some of the power out.

If those two are your only options for now, I would stick with the stock setup.

Good Luck!
blackfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #16
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed05accord View Post
well i had the filter on for a couple months actually. and i realized that when i was going about 25, and i gunned it in first gear with filter, it feels more sluggish. when i gunned it without the filter my tires actually were chirping a little while i was getting up there, and i did it both on same day same road.
i have noticed that too. ever since i got the cold air intake, my car don't chirp like it used to.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #17
frumaroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprevo15 View Post
i have noticed that too. ever since i got the cold air intake, my car don't chirp like it used to.

yea i noticed the same exact thing, if i were to step on it, my car would chirp with my stock setup, after i put a shortram, it doesnt do that anymore, it just seems like it has a lil more low end but lessss top end.

im debating on putting stock airbox back and call it a day
six6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #18
TrakCord

I can relate as i am running my stock airbox. I think its a matter of preference. In my opinion the majority of your power from the cold air intake come at speeds over 70-80 mph. However because of the restriction of the stock box it feels torqueir down low. But hurts top end.
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in