So I know nothing about a pulley - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Potential
So I know nothing about a pulley

I know that a lot of people on here upgrade there underdrive pully. Whats my best bet? Price? Brand? Kind of gains I will see? If you can answer any of these questions that would be great! Thanks in advance!
Potential is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #2
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Search is your best friend. The only option Available is Unorthodox Racings Lightweight Underdrive Crank Pulley, Ultra SS I believe. It runs roughly $175-200, you will need to buy a Gates belt from Napa Auto, runs like $25 bucks IIRC. I have had mine for like 2 1/2 years, the car feels faster, throttle response is better, as for actual WHP gains, maybe 3-5. But the car is smoother and responds better to throttle inputs
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05AV6 View Post
Search is your best friend. The only option Available is Unorthodox Racings Lightweight Underdrive Crank Pulley, Ultra SS I believe. It runs roughly $175-200, you will need to buy a Gates belt from Napa Auto, runs like $25 bucks IIRC. I have had mine for like 2 1/2 years, the car feels faster, throttle response is better, as for actual WHP gains, maybe 3-5. But the car is smoother and responds better to throttle inputs
Awesome! Thanks for the input. Anyone else have anything to add?

Old July 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Honda Rookie

I got mine this past Saturday and am going to install it when I get the belt, but I know it weighs 15 oz vs the 6 lbs the stock one weighs, so thats a lot of rotational mass thats now gone, which is awesome.
pbook4g5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #5
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ighlight=ralco

heres a thread on ralco pulleys. seems pretty good.
do you have a v6 or i4?
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfotoman View Post
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ighlight=ralco

heres a thread on ralco pulleys. seems pretty good.
do you have a v6 or i4?
V6 6speed.
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Street Brawler

There's actually two pulley's available from Unorthodox. The underdrive pulley and the stock diameter. If you have a pretty good sound system in your car or are planning on getting one I'd recommend the stock diameter pulley. Same if you eventually plan on supercharging it, because the underdrive pulley will actually lose you power if supercharged. If your just running the stock sound system or anything under 600 watts I believe, you can go with the underdrive pulley. Both are pretty much the same except the underdrive pulley "underdrives" the accessories (ac, power steering etc...). According to Unorthodox 80% of the power gains come from the weight reduction with the rest coming from the underdriving. Really won't be a big enough difference to feel either way.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
There's actually two pulley's available from Unorthodox. The underdrive pulley and the stock diameter. If you have a pretty good sound system in your car or are planning on getting one I'd recommend the stock diameter pulley. Same if you eventually plan on supercharging it, because the underdrive pulley will actually lose you power if supercharged. If your just running the stock sound system or anything under 600 watts I believe, you can go with the underdrive pulley. Both are pretty much the same except the underdrive pulley "underdrives" the accessories (ac, power steering etc...). According to Unorthodox 80% of the power gains come from the weight reduction with the rest coming from the underdriving. Really won't be a big enough difference to feel either way.
Not planning to supercharge or have a sound system. But thanks for all the info. It all helps.
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
FYI, the pulley replaces the harmonic balancer and will probably lead to increased crankshaft torsional vibration. You won't be able to feel it but your bearings will, and the crank may develop fatigue cracks Although I've never heard of it happening in a Honda it worries me.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #10

Alright cool. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VTECCoupe View Post
FYI, the pulley replaces the harmonic balancer and will probably lead to increased crankshaft torsional vibration. You won't be able to feel it but your bearings will, and the crank may develop fatigue cracks Although I've never heard of it happening in a Honda it worries me.
I thought our engines had internal harmonic balancers? At least that's what I read somewhere since that same topic was brought up before. Can anyone confirm this?
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
I thought our engines had internal harmonic balancers? At least that's what I read somewhere since that same topic was brought up before. Can anyone confirm this?
There's no such thing as an internal harmonic balancer. Do you mean balance shafts? The J series doesn't have those because 60 degree V6 engines are naturally harmonically balanced. Typically you only see them on 4 cylinders but sometimes also V6's. Some engines also use offset crankshafts (very rare). The harmonic balancer/damper/pulley/whatever only serves to cancel out any resonance frequencies left over from typical V6 end to end vibration.
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #13
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
There's no such thing as an internal harmonic balancer. Do you mean balance shafts? The J series doesn't have those because 60 degree V6 engines are naturally harmonically balanced. Typically you only see them on 4 cylinders but sometimes also V6's. Some engines also use offset crankshafts (very rare). The harmonic balancer/damper/pulley/whatever only serves to cancel out any resonance frequencies left over from typical V6 end to end vibration.
Funny thing is after I posted that I thought to myself there's no such thing as an internal harmonic balancer and I should've said it didn't need one. Duh! LOL, anyway, yeah, so there's no harmonic balancer so why would putting on a lighter pulley make it go out of balance and create extra wear on the bearings? I can see if you remove a harmonic balancer but if you're not then how can it be bad? Is it simply because the UR pulley is ligher and the engine needs the weight of the stock pulley to balance it?
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #14
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Quote:
I know, but he only asked about which underdrive options were available hehe
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Funny thing is after I posted that I thought to myself there's no such thing as an internal harmonic balancer and I should've said it didn't need one. Duh! LOL, anyway, yeah, so there's no harmonic balancer so why would putting on a lighter pulley make it go out of balance and create extra wear on the bearings? I can see if you remove a harmonic balancer but if you're not then how can it be bad? Is it simply because the UR pulley is ligher and the engine needs the weight of the stock pulley to balance it?
The factory harmonic balancer basically absorbs vibrational acceleration with its mass. The balancer is the pulley on the J series V6, in some cars they're separate. The mass of the pulley is tuned to whatever order vibrations at whatever engine speed the engineers wanted to cancel out.

Like I said I doubt it's a big deal because Honda builds their engines so well and to much better standards than most other companies. There are quite a few SAE papers on crankshaft fatigue due to too much vibration, but most are cast iron crankshafts. A forged steel crank is about 6 times stronger.
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #16
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
The factory harmonic balancer basically absorbs vibrational acceleration with its mass. The balancer is the pulley on the J series V6, in some cars they're separate. The mass of the pulley is tuned to whatever order vibrations at whatever engine speed the engineers wanted to cancel out.

Like I said I doubt it's a big deal because Honda builds their engines so well and to much better standards than most other companies. There are quite a few SAE papers on crankshaft fatigue due to too much vibration, but most are cast iron crankshafts. A forged steel crank is about 6 times stronger.
Interesting. So basically the weight of the pulley is determined by the amount of weight needed to cancel out the engine vibration. Never knew that. I'm sure you're right though, considering how well Honda engines are made it probably wouldn't be much of a stress, but still, good info to have.
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #17
Street Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05AV6 View Post
I know, but he only asked about which underdrive options were available hehe
The way I read it, was he was talking about upgrading his crank pulley and just used the term underdrive, maybe thinking that's what they're called. No big deal either way.
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #18

Quote:
The way I read it, was he was talking about upgrading his crank pulley and just used the term underdrive, maybe thinking that's what they're called. No big deal either way.
Haha yeah im just trying to upgrade the best pulley to make my car faster lol. Sorry!
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #19
Street Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential View Post
Haha yeah im just trying to upgrade the best pulley to make my car faster lol. Sorry!
No problem Best bet in your situation would be to get the actual underdrive pulley from Unorthodox Racing. Like was said earlier, you'll need to get a new belt.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #20
VTEC Powered

Thanks... read all the info here and im deciding to buy my Unorthodox Racing Puley!
Edward_EXV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the input. Anyone else have anything to add?
Yes, I have the best advice for you...Get someone else to do it!!!
Blazin_Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM   #22

Oh by the way you can get the belt at O'rileys....Sorry about the double post
Blazin_Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in