Tanabe Exhaust - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #1
call me simon

Tanabe Exhaust

So I just got my dual exhaust installed but I think theres something wrong with it. I'm not sure why but when I drove back from the muffler shop and parked my car I realized that there was a burning smell coming from the exhaust. Not only that but theres a ringing sound. The biggest problem though is that I though Tanabe Hyper Medallions were supposed to be reality quiet. these are ridiculously loud. I actually got a headache while driving on the freeway. Do i need a silencer or is there a potential problem with the exhaust? Also is the ringing coming from rocks n ****s being stuck in the exhaust? And how about the smell??? Here are a few pics. Sorry my car is really dirty I haven't had much time to clean it up.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
simmykwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Honda Rookie

The smell should be normal... probably some kind of coating inside the exhaust, my borla had the same smell for a few hours after install. It went away. As for loudness, I didn't think the Tannabe's were that loud, but I don't know, ive never heard them in person.

Might have to get a resonator. I have both the resonator and pre-muffler from my borla system if you get in a pinch and need one... don't know how big the piping is on the tannabe.
pbook4g5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
call me simon

weird thing is that i already have a fat resonator on. this might sound hella cheesy but it's supposed to sound like a g35/350z but it sounds RIDICULOUSLY loud. Not even kidding. I still hear ringing in my ears and it's already been 2 hours. My car actually shakes in the freeway and on uphill it sounds like a war flik. I wasn't sure if the shop who installed it did the mounts wrong?

Old September 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Adventure is out there!

Send a message via AIM to littletruong
smell is normal, but maybe you have an exhaust leak.. did you bolt everything on all the way tight? check the areas with the flanges.
littletruong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #5
call me simon

i actually had a shop do it for me but the guy was in a hurry so maybe he didn't do it correct? One thing though is that he actually cut the stocks and just welded everything together. The exhaust is from a 04 TL so he had to cut the exhaust in at least 4 different places. you think there might be a leak from an improper weld?
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Adventure is out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmykwan View Post
i actually had a shop do it for me but the guy was in a hurry so maybe he didn't do it correct? One thing though is that he actually cut the stocks and just welded everything together. The exhaust is from a 04 TL so he had to cut the exhaust in at least 4 different places. you think there might be a leak from an improper weld?
there has to be, the way your describing sounds like thats the only option i can think of. i think you should double check your welds and bring it back to the shop and have them look at it again.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #7
C.R.E.A.M.

Send a message via AIM to 1iLlaV6
damn, you shouldve saved and bought a setup for our cars so it could just be normal bolton procedure lol.gl man.
1iLlaV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Freakin Rican

Yea seems like you most likely have an exhaust leak coming from one of the pipe connections..
Esco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #9
call me simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iLlaV6 View Post
damn, you shouldve saved and bought a setup for our cars so it could just be normal bolton procedure lol.gl man.
haha i should of but actually the tl exhaust fit pretty well. i test fitted it with a friend of mine and it seemed fine. looked like a little modification would be alright. i think the guy was just ridiculous and chopped it up for fun apparently. hella asian and wouldn't listen to me. sad
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #10
call me simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Yea seems like you most likely have an exhaust leak coming from one of the pipe connections..
yeah seems like it....got to get it redone tomorrow probably.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #11
C.R.E.A.M.

Quote:
haha i should of but actually the tl exhaust fit pretty well. i test fitted it with a friend of mine and it seemed fine. looked like a little modification would be alright. i think the guy was just ridiculous and chopped it up for fun apparently. hella asian and wouldn't listen to me. sad
so he chopped your perfectly intact exhaust in pieces abd re-welded it for no reason?so messed your ishh up.you shouldve bolted it on yourself bro then see what you couldve done to get it flush....damn.i would be pissed.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #12
call me simon

Quote:
so he chopped your perfectly intact exhaust in pieces abd re-welded it for no reason?so messed your ishh up.you shouldve bolted it on yourself bro then see what you couldve done to get it flush....damn.i would be pissed.
yeah i'm pretty pissed too. the thing was i left for a bit to go to the bank to withdraw some money. came back and he already chopped it up. he even chopped off my stock exhaust at the mufflers haha. i figured alright w/e just reweld it back. but now i think he might of messed it up. I'm going back tomorrow to get it flushed and to repair the ridiculous droning in my exhaust
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #13
C.R.E.A.M.

damn.make sure the welds are good while your there as well.if it sits flush good,the only thing you'll have to worry about is if the welds are ****ty and leaking.i woonder why there so loud,tanabe pride themsleves on thier adds as being relatively quiet lol. that guy effed up.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #14
call me simon

Quote:
damn.make sure the welds are good while your there as well.if it sits flush good,the only thing you'll have to worry about is if the welds are ****ty and leaking.i woonder why there so loud,tanabe pride themsleves on thier adds as being relatively quiet lol. that guy effed up.

pshh yeah i was in a hurry to get home so i didn't even realize. i'm hella sad now cuz of the cuts. well as long as they work by tommorrow i'll be happy. i should of just listened to you and did it myself. i thought i would get it done right at a shop. i would take a video of the exhaust but you'd probably just hear me yelling in pain.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #15
C.R.E.A.M.

Quote:
pshh yeah i was in a hurry to get home so i didn't even realize. i'm hella sad now cuz of the cuts. well as long as they work by tommorrow i'll be happy. i should of just listened to you and did it myself. i thought i would get it done right at a shop. i would take a video of the exhaust but you'd probably just hear me yelling in pain.
lol.
yeah you shouldve done it yourself,wouldve too you all but 30 minutes.but ask around to see what shops do some sick welds then have them reweld it it should be just as good as new man.you have aim?
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #16
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
i'd take it back to the shop and complain dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #17
call me simon

Quote:
lol.
yeah you shouldve done it yourself,wouldve too you all but 30 minutes.but ask around to see what shops do some sick welds then have them reweld it it should be just as good as new man.you have aim?
haha yeah i'm planning on making it a big fukn deal when i see the guy tomorrow. the more i think about it the more upset i get. i had to pay 100 just to get a messed up welding job. my sn is iamSIMONSTER. i'm doing lowering my car tomorrow and rolling my fender so that another 150. i'm going to be piss broke by tomorrow for sure
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #18
C.R.E.A.M.

Quote:
haha yeah i'm planning on making it a big fukn deal when i see the guy tomorrow. the more i think about it the more upset i get. i had to pay 100 just to get a messed up welding job. my sn is iamSIMONSTER. i'm doing lowering my car tomorrow and rolling my fender so that another 150. i'm going to be piss broke by tomorrow for sure
drop it yourself and save that money bro.it'll take a couple hours but hey you'll still have $150 lol.
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #19
call me simon

haha i'm actually swapping suspension set ups with 03accord so it won't be costing me. just the parts. rolling the fenders though is going to cost me though
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #20
C.R.E.A.M.

ohh yeah.your getting the ground controls??nice.lilfotoman posted that place for like $40?idk.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #21
call me simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletruong View Post
there has to be, the way your describing sounds like thats the only option i can think of. i think you should double check your welds and bring it back to the shop and have them look at it again.
thanks for the info. I'm gonna go in another 20 mins to get it checked up. Drove it work today and I was road raging from the amount of pain in my ears.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Adventure is out there!

no problem, glad i could help
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #23
call me simon

Okay so i went back and he checked all the welds. but it still sounds like sh*t. Is there any way to reduce the amount of drone? I'm thinking of getting a silencer but at the same time i'm confused since I kept the resanator on shouldn't I be fine?? Someone help me before I end up shooting myself from the ricer ness of my exhaust.
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #24
Adventure is out there!

just put another resonator on.. my brother had 3 installed on when he had his turbo tc..
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #25
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

When you have a shop weld it, make damn sure they use stainless welding wire, too many of these "professional shops" will use mild steel mig wire which will rust out and break.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #26
Carpe Diem

Can you post a video? I'm interested in hearing what it sounds like.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #27

Sound clip would be nice...I'm sure the Hyper is a little louder than the Touring but not obnoxious...I have the Touring Medallion and sounds levels are near stock at idle and with a mild growl at higher levels...comparative to other systems for our cars Comptech, Borla etc....
jkrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
Sound clip would be nice...I'm sure the Hyper is a little louder than the Touring but not obnoxious...I have the Touring Medallion and sounds levels are near stock at idle and with a mild growl at higher levels...comparative to other systems for our cars Comptech, Borla etc....

hey can you post a video (sound clip) of your touring medallion too? hows the noise level when your cruising on the highway?

Last edited by JLV6; September 11th, 2008 at 09:35 PM..
JLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #29
call me simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
yeah definitely. i'll try to find my digi cam to take some vids and sound clips. the sound level is fine normally it's just the droning that gets me. i asked a few friends and they said it's normal and i'm just picky but what can i say i don't like it. but for sure though its nowhere near stock. yeah could you post pics for your touring medallions?
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #30
call me simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletruong View Post
just put another resonator on.. my brother had 3 installed on when he had his turbo tc..
3 resonators? where would i find the space to put three?? i'm thinking of just redoing all the piping and fitting it with 2in rather than the frankenstein work i got going on. i have 2 1/2 up until the resonator and then 3 til the y and then a few other sizes. i can't even remember cuz it looks so f*ked up. i'll definitely ask tomorrow when i go to the shop

p.s sorry for double posting. just realized it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in