Clutch dead at 60k!? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #1

Clutch dead at 60k!?

Was driving to work this morning and it appears the clutch died on me out of no where. When the engine is running I cant engage any gear except 3rd, when I pop it into 3rd the entire car beings to violently shake.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? I thought the clutch on our cars was good for at least 100k. The car is in the shop now and I'm waiting to hear back...
Philly_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #2
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Sounds more like the hydraulic system.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #3

dealer is saying Im going to require a complete new clutch assembly. He is quoting me $1500 to do the work....Does that not sound ridiculously expensive to anyone else?

Says the hydraulics are fine.

Old September 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

If it was me doing the work.....

Labor $500
New Clutch and throw out bearing $280
Resurface flywheel $65

You must have done something F'D up then, these clutches are ususally good for 100Kish.
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #5

well you gotta love close to $100/hr labor.

I bought the car used at 43k. Its my daily driver and I rarely drive WOT. I did have gear slip occur a few times but there was no real sign of this coming.

Clutch kit + resurface + labor + tax = $1450
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6

shouldnt there have been some kind of warning leading into this? I thought the wear out of a clutch is supposed to happen more gradually as opposed to the abrupt failure I experienced. Is there any chance something else could have failed and they are just charging me for a complete clutch swap even when I dont need it?
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #7
j35 psi 6sp

im with paul when it sounds like the hydraulic system, not the whole clutch. dealers will say it is just to rip ya off. i would have a second op to make sure its not just the slave or master cylinder..
capnff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #8
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_V6 View Post
shouldnt there have been some kind of warning leading into this? I thought the wear out of a clutch is supposed to happen more gradually as opposed to the abrupt failure I experienced. Is there any chance something else could have failed and they are just charging me for a complete clutch swap even when I dont need it?
This is why I said Hydralic, is the slave went out (which happens) it would be a abrupt failure like this usually, in order for the clutch itself to abruptly fail like this it would take the clutch disc "exploding" or the release arm breaking (very rare, but happens) when a clutch disc just falls aparts it is usually caused by a seaver clutch drops (many of them) at high RPM where you are smacking the hell out of the disc.

Get a second opinion, and do not tell the second shop what the first shop said. Also if the disc did explode you could pull the boot on the release arm, stick a finger in there(engine off of course) and come back with a black finger with little fibers on it. To check the hydralics, get someone to sit in the car and press the pedal, the slave cylinder should move the release arm a good 1+ inches.
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
Yeah this sounds hydraulic for sure.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #10

I already authorized the work on the complete clutch assembly =/ Im supposed to pick it up tomorrow...
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #11
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

I would ask for the old parts, if they can not produce them I would cry BS, and yes they are obligated to be able to provide you with them, it is the law, you own them since there is no "core" involved. Then post pics up of them I am sure myself among other here can tell you if you were taken for a ride or not and if so I would raise holy hell with HOA.
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
I would ask for the old parts, if they can not produce them I would cry BS, and yes they are obligated to be able to provide you with them, it is the law, you own them since there is no "core" involved.
At the very least this would seem to be to be a partial good will issue if you can prove MTF changes. This is a strange one.
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
I would ask for the old parts, if they can not produce them I would cry BS, and yes they are obligated to be able to provide you with them, it is the law, you own them since there is no "core" involved. Then post pics up of them I am sure myself among other here can tell you if you were taken for a ride or not and if so I would raise holy hell with HOA.
this guy is the effin man..props to you my friend...
V6MT26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #14

Just to followup, I did get the parts back after a little bit of insisting. They still sit in a box at my place and I have not gotten around to taking pictures yet. That being said, the thread (if you can call it that) on the plate is all torn up in one area, so I guess it really was the clutch
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #15

Whoever owned the car before you probably rode the clutch at red lights.
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #16
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Sounds like someone did some really bad cluch drops then, or they broke it on purpose to hide the issue, I really want pics of the friction surface of the pressure plate and the springs, the only way for one section to go out is if the pressure plate had a couple of bad release fingers in the same area causing the plate to release un-evenly.
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #17

My car is sitting at 70K right now. I have thought about trading it in before I have to do a clutch and timing belt replacement. I like the car, but I am hoping to move up to something more luxury.

I just hope that my clutch doesn't go out at 90K, just before I am ready to trade in.

Bob
CRHBobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #18
From J30A to 4g63

Send a message via AIM to 0Tolerance Send a message via MSN to 0Tolerance Send a message via Yahoo to 0Tolerance Send a message via Skype™ to 0Tolerance
Must be nice to get over 60k outta those clutches! lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
0Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #19

Pics Pics Pics
weezo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in