Different exhaust setup question.. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #1

Different exhaust setup question..

This may be a reach..but also, may make sense. A buddy of mine who is into both Mustangs and Imports suggested I do an exhaust setup similar to a Mustang. Meaning..instead of having the mufflers all the way at the end, have them up towards the cat, then have straight pipes out the back (with tips so it doesn't look rice), and maybe an H or X pipe rather than the Y pipe.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/unders...t-systems.html

^^ That's a link to help understand exactly what I'm talking about in case I am not being clear. Anybody have any opinions or suggestions on this matter? It may add some more depth to the exhaust note that we haven't seen from our traditional exhaust setups
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Super Mod

is there a space for the mufflers under the car?
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #3
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
You'll loose Backpressure running a setup like that on the J30A4, thus loose tourque....your call really....we already loose a bit of tourque with an exhaust, why add to tourqe loss to it to gain what a 1-2 whp difference in the very upper RPM band? I'd just do a conventional bolt on system, plus their really isn't spacing to do 2 - 2.25"+ pipes side by side under the chassis. Way more headache, and drone, than it is worth IMHO.
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4

I see what you're saying. Here are my 2 thoughts:

1) If I did a traditional setup (not true dual), with the muffler underneath the car, then a y-pipe, then straight pipes out the back, that would reduce the trouble of having 2 pipes under the car.

2) If I did a true dual, I could use 2" piping, being that 2.5" for each bank of 3 cylinders would be too much and lose a lot of torque.

I'm not sure on any of this but would be interesting to try.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
I see what you're saying. Here are my 2 thoughts:

1) If I did a traditional setup (not true dual), with the muffler underneath the car, then a y-pipe, then straight pipes out the back, that would reduce the trouble of having 2 pipes under the car.

2) If I did a true dual, I could use 2" piping, being that 2.5" for each bank of 3 cylinders would be too much and lose a lot of torque.

I'm not sure on any of this but would be interesting to try.
Hey man what i did was i used a magnaflow SS 5" round mufflerin the location of one of those can mufflers fit nice in there and had pipes go from that to the back of car and had 350z tips. it sounded good but like 05AV6 said u will have lose of back presure, if u rev high before shifting u will get pops from the exhaust hence not enough back presure
eeh1025 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

The main difference between a Mustang exhaust and an Accord exhaust is the fact that the V8 has 2 headers dumping into 2 Mid-Pipes going back, whereas the Accord has a J-Pipe dumping into 1 Mid-Pipe going back. This would kill the whole point of an H or X cross section.

Now there is a member (can't remember off the top of my head who it was) that had custom exhaust piping bent up to go directly from each pre-cat off the engine. He ran those all the way back so it was a true dual exhaust. Otherwise if you're not going to go that route it won't ever be a true dual exhaust.

I guess the question you should ask yourself is: Do I want to do this in search for extra horsepower? ... or... Do I want to do this in search for a deep exhaust tone? If it's for the horsepower then it'll take quite a bit of experimenting and honestly I doubt it'll be worth the extra few HP you'd get if you did find something that worked, but if you just want a nice deep exhaust tone just try some custom piping (no pre-muffler or resonator) and either a high quality performance muffler, or in my case, an OEM muffler that sounds good.

I did the custom straight piping and Acura CL Type-S mufflers and I personally think it's deeper than 99% of the bolt-on systems I've heard out there.

Check it out:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...&postcount=308
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Sarasota, FL

wow, that sounds really good and yet not too loud or anoying
bosscobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in