v6 ECU tuning/reflashing thread - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Boomdiada

Send a message via AIM to Swift
Post v6 ECU tuning/reflashing thread

So I searched and from what i already know it seems like any serious gearheads go for a standalone to tune with(which is what you should), however for the normal guys who just have bolt ons etc, there is still a need for tuning.

Anyways i was curious if anyone here can give me input on the people who have tried to hack the ecu or what hondata has said in the past.

Reason i ask is because I may feel the need to pursue this and will spend the $$ on dynoing etc.

thanks in advance for any input.

swift
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #2
cunning linguist

I think Hondata flat out said no, but I could be wrong.

Not too long ago I looked into a similar process, and found the next best thing was a PNP harness from Boomslang, and they will make it to order for about $250. So you can tune via a e-manage, FI/C, or even a AEM EMS.

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #3
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Apex'i AFC Neo, Boomslang Harness and tuning cost roughly $750-800 total, gained 10 WHP peak and really smoothed out my power curve, I have every bolt on available for the 7th gen at this moment, so that was the way I went, worth every cent I spent.
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4

I thought that the ecu will de-tune the neo after some time?
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
I thought that the ecu will de-tune the neo after some time?
True, the ecu will detune the neo and others in time. The only one I hear it wont detune is the aem FIC. If you want to get the neo or others then get the actron cp9180 and that will allow you to reset your ecu as well as monitor your whole car. I feel its much easier and better than taking off the negative on the battery for a half hour or so and plus I get to see how my car is runing. Also you can help friends out if they need. lol. I was able to notice on my gf car which is a 2003 cavalier that it is running really rich so I will keep an eye on it with the tool. Also saves you a $80 diagnostic fee that the dealers will charge. Check out amazon.com or your local auto parts store for it. I have a neo and I am so far happy with it. Will be getting my car re-tuned once my j33 breaks in.
worldon1finger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #6

Hondata did a reflash for Ussi and his 3.5 TL S/C.
JCharged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #7

^^ They did. What I don't get, is how they say there isn't enough of a demand to make a "J-Pro," yet they made a reflash for ONE person Is that a joke?

All trims of CL, TL, Accord V6, RL, Odyssey, and MDX use J series motors. I think there is more than enough of an aftermarket for one, but that's just me.

I actually just sent them an email. Hopefully, along with all the others, they can reconsider.

To whom it may concern,
I realize that there have been many failed efforts to propose to you an ECU reflash for the Honda J-series engine, referred to as "J-Pro." I'm under the impression that since so many attempts have been made, that there is a significant demand for it. All trims of CL, TL, RL, Accord V6, MDX, and even Odyssey use variations of the J-series. There is no hope for those with the J-series on tuning because every other tuning agent seems to detune itself after a period of time. PLEASE reconsider J-Pro for us!

Sincerely,

Bryan
v6accordftw and lonestar like this.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #8

^ hell even civics are swapping J's in, so there has to be some kind of support and as far as ECU for Honda's, Hondata has done a great job.
v6accordftw and lonestar like this.
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #9

^^ Exactly. There is none better than Hondata for Honda, hence Honda in the name. If they were to add J-pro, the hope for the aftermarket of J-series owners would soar to new heights!

Sh!t, I even wanna throw a J in a Civic
lonestar likes this.
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #10

^ Hell yea I want it in my lawn-mower.
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #11

If someone is interested I have for sale a Greddy Emanage Ultimate with the Boomslang Harness, the car came in the dyno with 255whp untuned and came out with 271whp tuned.... Not so bad huh.

If someone is interested please pm, and I'll give more info
darvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #12
Boomdiada

Send a message via AIM to Swift
glad to see some response on this subject. I don't believe in investing into an AEM unless your boosted. plain and simple. If you had a hondata reflashed for each j-series, then at least someone with a 3.2 with 3.5 cams could try a reflash FOR a 3.5 and see if it runs better........
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #13
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
^^ Exactly. There is none better than Hondata for Honda, hence Honda in the name. If they were to add J-pro, the hope for the aftermarket of J-series owners would soar to new heights!

Sh!t, I even wanna throw a J in a Civic
I hear you...when I had my RSX-S I got a Hondata reflash and it was unbelievable the gains I saw with just an intake, exhaust and the reflash. Not only were peak gains amazing, but I was getting 95% of torque at 3k rpms, which is freakin' awesome for a K20A2 which relatively speaking doesn't make any torque compared to the J series. Imagine if a $600 reflash gave us 15whp/15wtq, smoothed out the power band, gave us more available torque down low and lowered our vtec point to smooth the transition (if Hondata through testing saw that a lower vtec engagement would be beneficial of course). When I saw "smooth the transition" I am referring to the fact that on the K20A2, there was a major torque dip at 5800 rpms (where vtec engaged). I'm salivating just thinking about it.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #14

We should create a list of interested people. I'm not sure if this has been done before, but if it hasn't... let's make another thread for it. Maybe they'll be interested if they see enough committed people?
v6 6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 6speed View Post
We should create a list of interested people. I'm not sure if this has been done before, but if it hasn't... let's make another thread for it. Maybe they'll be interested if they see enough committed people?
Bump
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #16
CHONTE84

Send a message via MSN to CHONTE84
i like the hondata reflash idea, if you make the list count me in!
CHONTE84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #17
enjoying j36 luv

maybe if there is a list of people and we contact them, the'll think of doing it for us as like a group deal.is it or isnt that how we have gotten other companys to make things
stillloco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #18
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
<---Interested!
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #19
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I think quantity is going to be the issue. They did it for the RSX-S because the demand was extremely high - I wouldn't doubt if they sold over 1,000 reflashes in the first year. I don't think we can muster enough of a crowd to cover their R&D that would be necessary to make the best possible Hondata program for our cars.

For the RSX-S for example, they had a number of reflashes that took a lot of testing, research and dyno time:

1. Hondata tune for CAI/exhaust/header (though you could run lean with a race header with this setup)
2. Hondata tune for a Type R setup (Type R cams, intake manifold, race header, etc...)
3. Hondata K-Pro - fully customizable for any setup.

There might have even been more, and for the basic Hondata setup it was $600. For the K-Pro it was $1,000 IIRC. But like I said, they literally had thousands of people lined up to buy this product so they basically knew that all their R&D, research, dyno tuning, etc....plus profit would be covered fairly quickly. Unfortunately, I don't think we can muster those numbers. We'd be lucky if we could get 100 people IMO and I doubt Hondata would do a reflash for 100 customers. I could be wrong, hell, I hope I am. If someone wants to hit them up and see what numbers they would need to see to get started, give it a go!
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #20

^^ True the RSX has a much bigger market, but it's only one car. Remember..it's not just 7th gen Accords that have the J series. Acura TL, CL, RL, 6th, 7th, and 8th gen Accords, Odyssey, MDX, Ridgeline, and doesn't the Pilot come with the J series now? I think there would be plenty of aftermarket support for a "J-Pro."

I'm sure there are at least 100 on this site alone that would be interested. Also because there is no J-Pro available, some people may not even think about Hondata because it's not a choice. Meaning, that some people who need a tune and are using Apexi NEO, etc., may think about switching to Hondata. I hope this works!
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #21
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
^^ True the RSX has a much bigger market, but it's only one car. Remember..it's not just 7th gen Accords that have the J series. Acura TL, CL, RL, 6th, 7th, and 8th gen Accords, Odyssey, MDX, Ridgeline, and doesn't the Pilot come with the J series now? I think there would be plenty of aftermarket support for a "J-Pro."

I'm sure there are at least 100 on this site alone that would be interested. Also because there is no J-Pro available, some people may not even think about Hondata because it's not a choice. Meaning, that some people who need a tune and are using Apexi NEO, etc., may think about switching to Hondata. I hope this works!
Good point...heck, I hope it works too. Like I said, when I had the reflash on my RSX-S it was night-and-day difference. Plus, it's completely sleeper...no one knows (obviously) that you are running a new ECU program. It gave me so much more torque down low, changed the vtec crossover so it got rid of the dreaded torque dip at engagement, and gave me 15+whp/15+wtq peak power with just a CAI. Amazing investment...worth every penny. Plus it was nice reving to 8600rpms
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #22

I've wanted a tune forever, add me to the list if it gets made
03ondubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #23

I have the apexi neo and I would change to Hondata in a heartbeat. I always wanted hondata for my car cause every car they do has great results and they could do wonders for our cars.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #24
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

+1 for Hondata, so that would be at least 6 peps right now for it, now a couple things to keep in mind on this, there are basically 4 different sensor setups just to cover 98-07 and a huge differentce between 3rd gen TL/7th gen AV6 and 6th gen AV6/2nd gen cl/tl, then of course there is the 03 CL-S mt which is a sensor setup all to it's own, so it is not like 1 version would fit all our cars . Would I love to see Hondata for our cars yes, but like others do I see them doing it, probably not.

Oh, and one other little piece of info, K,H,F ecus came out of Japan made by Denso (a company you can get info from with enough pull), all J ECUs that I have seen thru the 7th gen AV6/3rd gen TL are made by Motorola, good luck getting anything out of those bastids.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #25
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
+1 for Hondata, so that would be at least 6 peps right now for it
I'll bump that up to 7.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #26

Motorola? For real? I use to do motodev with them.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #27
enjoying j36 luv

im sure the v6 accords along with tl's and the rest of j motors say would be a good # i say its worth a try.get a list together from other sites as well and send hondata an email with # of people would help alil. no?
stillloco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #28
TrakCord

COUNT ME IN!!.. I propose There should be a custom Hondata reflash for CAI, Richies J-pipe, and Richie's 3 cat deletes. Id pay 400-600 for that.

Put me on the list.

1. Cubanob247
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #29
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Reflash, meh, not really interested, J-Pro, yeah, that's what I want.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #30
J35 6Spd

reflash kind of sounds like a jip if you later add more performance upgrades bc you can't retune the ECU at all unless hondata makes you a custom flash.. with all of the different combinations of performance upgrades out there... one general reflash will never fully satisfy everyones configurations. better to have a standalone or piggyback that can be modified and evolve as your car's configuration evolves
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in