Unorthodox Crank Pully (underdrive) can it cause the crank to unbalance? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #1
I <3 My J30A4

Unorthodox Crank Pully (underdrive) can it cause the crank to unbalance?

Hey whats up guys. So like the tittle says can the unorthodox crank pulley underdrive cause the crank itself to unbalance after a certain amount of miles. I went to this reputable shop yesterday, and that is what they told me that i shoud NOT do this mod. They believed that the crank pulley (underdrive) causes the crank to get unbalanced and after period of time the crank will become unstable and wobble side to side and will eventually cause internal damage n throw everything off. I was wondering is this true? Also the accord is my daily and it is a v6 if it means anything. And also if i do this mod will i loose my a/c and powersteering? I thought i read that unorthodox said that is possible. Sorry for the long post guys but any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated. And nva/av6 i made it more clearer for you if u see this post. Thanks guys
qnzthg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #2
I'm a good guy, really.

Send a message via AIM to sickv6 Send a message via Yahoo to sickv6
hmm..well all i can really say is a lot of people have this mod done and i havent really heard of any issues like that at all...and the thing you mentioned about losing your a/c and power steering? thats def not true...someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure it will just underpower those units a little bit and it will not elimnate them completely at all...
sickv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Toyota/Honda Enthusiast

They are wrong. The cranks on the j30 and K24s are internally balanced. They don't use a harmonic balancer that is a "one unit" piece with the crank pulley.

Can some of the gurus chime in here?
SableSal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #4
I <3 My J30A4

HMMM very interesting sickv6 but are these guys daily driving their cars because mine will be a daily driver. I somewhat believe the shop because the crank pully does weight a lot less than the stock ones. Hopefully i can hear some more feedback. Thanks
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #5
I <3 My J30A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSal View Post
They are wrong. The cranks on the j30 and K24s are internally balanced. They don't use a harmonic balancer that is a "one unit" piece with the crank pulley.

Can some of the gurus chime in here?
Thank you maybe i will do an install but i am still so very iffy about this subjet and how long have you guys with this mod has this done for because i do plan on keeping the car for about 4 yrs. Thanks for the feedback sablesal
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #6
I'm a good guy, really.

yes they are daily driving their cars...you really have nothing to worry about...i would go to another shop and get it installed man
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #7
I <3 My J30A4

yea i am thinking about it i just want to just make sure of this before its a possibility of something going wrong you know what i mean bro. Hopefully i can get some more feedback on the "gurus" lol
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #8
I'm a good guy, really.

lol yea i understand what youre saying man...honestly, i wouldnt be telling you to put something on your car thats gonna mess it up...
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #9
I <3 My J30A4

yea i hear you bro thanks for the feedback bro i appreciate it hopefully if i get the feedback i want ill do it asap with the 2.5 inch straight pipe but i just want a little more responses from other people. Thanks in advance guys
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #10
I'm a good guy, really.

yea man..youll see everyone seems to enjoy the ur pulley...a mod you may be interested in is the tl-s cams...just a heads up though
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #11
I <3 My J30A4

yea i wanted to tls cams but there is a lot involved with them as i just saw the "finished installed my cam shafts" i really wanted to that but i saw tha there was a lot to be needed to do that mod i would have defnintely loved to do it tho
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #12
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Honestly, this is the one mod that I haven't done yet because there are so many differing opinions on whether this mod can cause problems or not. It's too bad too, because it gives really nice power gains.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #13
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Shazar, just do it, I have had mine on for 61k and had no adverse issues. Just use the recommended gates belt available at Napa and I can send you to a shop worth their marbles that will do it and do it right.
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #14
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSal View Post
true, but the stock pulley does have a harmonic dampener that absorbs alot of the vibrations the crankshaft endures in its lifetime. with a solid pulley like the UR, you loose that dampening and it can be very hard on the bearings.

im one of the few that thinks it can harm your engine over a period of time, which is why i never put one on since ive been supercharged. if your looking to free up hp by taking weight off the rotating assembly, a lighten alum flywheel is the only way to go if your a 6 speed.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #15
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

My rule of thumb has been one or the other, eaither stock flywheel with lighten pulley or stock pully with lightened flywhell, not both.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #16
I <3 My J30A4

Well I am an auto not a stick. So I guess I should do the install then. Is there a high probably chance of anything happeneing? I'm still a little nervous but I guess ill do it.Is rct gonna do it kev LOL
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #17
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

I'm another one of those people that has very much considered doing this mod but have been putting it off because of the varied opinions on it's effect on the drivetrain. In theory it makes sense to free up some horsepower but it also makes sense it'll be harsher on the bearings. To me it's not worth the maybe 5hp or quicker throttle response. If I was only using my 6spd as a weekend car or something, then yeah I'd get it, but as a daily driver and wanting it to last until well over 100k miles, I'm 99&#37; sure at this point it's something I can live without. My 2 cents.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #18
SC J32A3 Accord

I've had the UR stock size crank pulley on my auto supercharged Accord for 30k+ miles.
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #19
TrakCord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post
true, but the stock pulley does have a harmonic dampener that absorbs alot of the vibrations the crankshaft endures in its lifetime. with a solid pulley like the UR, you loose that dampening and it can be very hard on the bearings.

im one of the few that thinks it can harm your engine over a period of time, which is why i never put one on since ive been supercharged. if your looking to free up hp by taking weight off the rotating assembly, a lighten alum flywheel is the only way to go if your a 6 speed.
where do i find a light flywheel for our cars?
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #20

I'm an auto, and I have had my UR underdrive pulley for a year and a half, no problem what so ever.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #21
I <3 My J30A4

Has anyone ever had problems with the ur crank pully underdrive? That is the one that i have. And are all of u guys dailydriving your accords? Thanks for all the feedbacks guys
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #22
Toyota/Honda Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post

Well then, I didn't know the stock crank had a dampener. I wouldn't do this mod then. [/STORY]
SableSal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #23
I <3 My J30A4

HMMM very interesting i have heard some bad problems, but have anyone personally themselves had problems? I see that "there is a possibility" that something can go wrong, but has anyone had the problem? Thanks guys
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #24
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Again my car is a daily driver and it has around 60,000 miles on the UR underdrive pulley. I haven't seen or noticed any problems what so ever. All the problem stories I seem to hear are because people didn't install the pulley correctly. I was also told that our engines are internally balanced. Either way i wouldn't worry about it myself.
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #25
I <3 My J30A4

That is tru kevin... i am still contemplating as whether i should do this mod or not i have the crank pulley looking at me lol. Im so confused lol
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #26

The link below is to Acurazine and should answer most questions about the UR pulley. Our engine is INTERNALLY balanced, and the rubber ring on the stock pulley is to reduce NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) from what I've read. A sh!tload of people have the pulleys for the J series motors, I haven't heard of a problem yet, some with over 100k on it.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...ight=ur+pulley
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #27
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnzthg89 View Post
That is tru kevin... i am still contemplating as whether i should do this mod or not i have the crank pulley looking at me lol. Im so confused lol
If you are really that worried about it, don't use the underdrive pulley, get the stock sized pulley like I did. You'll still gain hp, just a few hp less then the underdrive pulley.

Oh and I'm pretty certain that 95% of the people on here use their modded Accords as their daily driver. It's an Accord not a Ferrari!
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #28
SSG

I have the UR Stock Sized Pulley on my 2007 V6 SDN AT... I've been running it for about 7k miles and have had no adverse effects. This car is my daily driver and I commute about 80 miles round trip a day. I would say get the pulley and stop worrying about it. The only way something is going to go wrong is if whoever installs it does a crappy job. Just my .02 cents

Other Mods include CAI, Straight Thru Mufflers (removed Resonator and pre-muffler). And all this is for daily driving (no racing, drag or other). If you really worried that something will go wrong, then just don't do it.
AccordArmy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #29
I <3 My J30A4

Thanks guys I guess I will do the install but a little later on when I intstall the straight pipes ill do that the same time I appreciate the help guys. Thanks a lot
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #30
Honda Rookie

It seems like there is a lot of information in this thread... some of it is true, some of it is kind of true, and some of it is wrong. Let me first start off by saying that:

1. I daily drive my car 30 miles each way to work 5 days a week (thats 300 miles/week)
2. I have the UR Underdrive Crank Pulley
3. It has been on my car for over 20k miles.
4. My car now has 98xxx miles on it.
5. The only adverse effect I have seen from the underdrive pulley is running the headlights with both the front and rear defrosters on at the same time. I noticed this the other night coming home from work. At idle, the lights are dimmer than they are above idle. As soon as I turn off the rear defroster, it goes back to normal. But I'm also running a 500 watt amp off my battery, so my car is not "stock" as some would say.

As for the pulley itself, I love it and I would recommend it for someone with a similar setup. As Paul said, I would do one or the other when combining it with a flywheel. Now, as far as the balancing goes, our engines are internally balanced. However, the stock pulley does absorb a lot of the vibration from the engine. That's a HUGE part of the reason it weighs close to 10 pounds.

The UR pulley weighs under a pound. Now there is no spinning mass to help absorb the extra engine vibration. Having the stock size UR pulley or the underdrive UR pulley will have no difference as far as balancing your engine vibration. That is all done with the WEIGHT of the pulley, not the size. Both UR pulleys are similar in weight.

Hope this clears things up. I like mine. Only had it on for 20k miles or so, though...so only time will tell.
pbook4g5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in