Benefits of synthetic motor oil in a v6? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Red Devils

Benefits of synthetic motor oil in a v6?

It has been advised many times but no real strong opinions as to why. Is it worth it to get synthetic oil and if so whats the best to get? Btw I checked a post back to 2006 that said royal purple aint all that great. I was wondering if anybody has strong improvements w/ synthetic or its better to stay with the regular?
darula8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2

This subject has been beaten to death, please search more.
I personally use RP, it is one of the few true synthetic oils available (Mobile 1 is no longer a true Synthetic).
A lot of different opinions are available with a mouse click.
Generally most agree using synthetic lubes FAR outperform dino-oil.
Have Fun

Last edited by EXACTA; December 17th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: sp
EXACTA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Unless you go to Honda and they tell you not to go synthetic..I never got that, I figured they would have jumped all over that to make more money off me but every time I bring up changing to synthetic they tell me not to. I have 88.5k miles on my car btw.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #4

I use Mobil 1 5w20 with Mobil filters. I've also used Penzoil Platinum Silver a few times. Check out the forums at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ if you're interested in the topic.
1greek4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #5
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Doesn't matter. There is no benefit on these cars other than having good thoughts and "feelings" that you're doing something "better" for your car, and on Internet forums you can say that you run synthetic motor oil. Synthetic motor oil might give you a miniscule improvement in mileage and power, but that's it. (next someone will post that they gained an incredible 2-3 mpg just from synthetic motor oil alone, which of course I'll call BS on because if getting better mileage were really that simple then EVERYbody would be doing it, no manufacturer would have any issue with CAFE standards, and the world oil crisis would be solved ). You can run synthetic oil for much longer intervals, but if it costs a lot more then you're not really gaining anything.

If these were truly high performance engines that were actually designed for it then I'd feel differently. And if these were TURBOcharged engines that see far more severe temperature cycling than naturally aspirated engines do then I'd also feel differently. If I owned a turbocharged car I would absolutely run synthetic motor oil in it if it didn't already come from the factory like that, after a nice 10k break-in on dino oil.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Knale
If you like to go with extended oil changes, synthetics is the way to go. If you change at 5000 miles or less, dino will be fine. Another thing to consider with our motors is that they can run a little rich. Fuel dilution can happen with a rich running motor depending on your driving. If you do a lot of short trip driving and there is fuel dilution, the oil never gets hot enough to burn off the fuel. If that is the case, some brands of synthetics are better at dealing with fuel dilution than other oils (Pennzoil Platinum). If you happen to do long distance trips, where the oil gets hot for a longer period of time, it is a non issue.
As another poster said, Go to Bob is the Oil Guy website... Tons of great information there.

Last edited by Knale; December 28th, 2008 at 05:16 AM..
Knale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #7

synthetic = better in any engine.
Neo§treetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Boomdiada

Send a message via AIM to Swift
alright, i am a mechanic, built engines and done research...but take that with a grain of salt.

independant studies show that as a of a few years ago mobil filters were the worst on the market and the frams toughguards or better were the best on the market.

as far as oil Valvoline and mobil are the most widely used and available. Now as far as royal purple and others, just as good but harder to find and more expensive.

I did not hear that mobil 1 was no longer a true synthetic but i am sure there is good reasoning with that. I just read that the valvoline synthetic which i use now contains zinc(only synthetic) which is a good thing for bearing life.

Synthetics are just good all around and for heat control as well. A good synthetic can last to 15k miles or more and look dirty but still have good lubricating properites.

So unless you are running a fully built turbocharged v6 at 20psi..........don't worry which synthetic is best. Chances are your engine wasn't properly broken in anyways.

Just use the better of the oils and remain consistant. I run valvoline fully synthetic with fram toughguard filters and change every 3k miles. However the first 14k miles i ran normal valvoline oil.

DO NOT USE PENZOIL. I have heard HORROR stories of that. contains wax.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
alright, i am a mechanic, built engines and done research...but take that with a grain of salt.

independant studies show that as a of a few years ago mobil filters were the worst on the market and the frams toughguards or better were the best on the market.

as far as oil Valvoline and mobil are the most widely used and available. Now as far as royal purple and others, just as good but harder to find and more expensive.

I did not hear that mobil 1 was no longer a true synthetic but i am sure there is good reasoning with that. I just read that the valvoline synthetic which i use now contains zinc(only synthetic) which is a good thing for bearing life.

Synthetics are just good all around and for heat control as well. A good synthetic can last to 15k miles or more and look dirty but still have good lubricating properites.

So unless you are running a fully built turbocharged v6 at 20psi..........don't worry which synthetic is best. Chances are your engine wasn't properly broken in anyways.

Just use the better of the oils and remain consistant. I run valvoline fully synthetic with fram toughguard filters and change every 3k miles. However the first 14k miles i ran normal valvoline oil.

thank you.
jemje2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Couple comments... In one sentence you say a good synthetic can go 15k, yet you change yours every 3k...Why? Sounds like a waste. If you are going to change your oil every 3k just use dino, unless of course you are running a turbo. 15k on synthetics is a real stretch too. I would not go that long unless I had Used Oil Analysis to back up that the oil was holding up.
Fram oil filters are hardly the best, but they will probably do the job.

On the Penzoil... I don't base my information on rumors, nor do I give advise based on rumors. Penzoil Platinum is one of the better Synthetics based on Used Oil Analysis, especially when it comes to fuel dilution. There is no wax in it. That is a very old myth.

Please go to to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com. There is tons of real information there provided by professionals in the industry that do oil analysis and Used Oil Analysis of just about any oil you can think of paired with many different applications. There is also information on filters based on unbiased tests.

You can actually send your used oil to labs to find out if it is doing the job. The analysis will tell you all the wear metal levels along with any contaminants that are present in you oil. The analysis will also let you know if you can leave the oil in longer than your oil change schedule. These Used Oil Analysis can give a good indication how your oil and engine are doing. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

Last edited by Knale; December 27th, 2008 at 07:31 AM..
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #11

People make quantum physics out of everything. Synthetic oil is an investment good if you plan to keep your car. If your going to sell it 3-5 years, why?

For the marginal difference, I believe synthetic oil is better. But bottom line, the truth is extended drain is underlined by better properties. I honestly could care less about figures because it doesn't really matter to me.

I can't speak much for others, but I've owned 88, 90 accords for well over 5-7K and maintenance is the critical issue here.

I have heard of people using castrol 5w-30 and they do typical oil changes. But then again 3-5 years, they have a 'new' car. So yah.

Unles your planning on protecting and keeping your car fo an extended period of time, don't bother, but again the marginal cost doesn't matter.
Battery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
People make quantum physics out of everything.
I leave that to the professionals whos job is to analyze the chemical and phyical properties of oil. I just choose to make informed decisions.

Too often in forums people give advice based on rumor, myths, or bias. The Pennzoil myth the other poster passed on is an example.

Last edited by Knale; December 28th, 2008 at 05:17 AM..
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knale View Post
I leave that to the professionals whos job is to analyze the chemical and phyical properties of oil. I just choose to make informed decisions.

Too often in forums people give advice based on rumor, myths, or bias. The Pennzoil myth the other poster passed on is an example.
I"m just saying. But for the marginal, why not just pick synthetic for better properties which in end hold up. Now, I cannot mumble numbers and stats, but you know what I mean.
But the ****ty part is if you don't change your oil, the filter can seem to get 'STUCK'.
Battery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #14

mobil 1 is the way to go. hook up from walmart for 22bux.lol
boyviet1403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
People make quantum physics out of everything.
I'd be very impressed if anyone on this car forum did anything physics on an atomical scale...
accordriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #16
2uy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyviet1403 View Post
mobil 1 is the way to go. hook up from walmart for 22bux.lol
mobil 1 sucks
please do research
I've been using mobil 1 for atleast 3 years now. So i personally can I you it sucks. I switched over to castrol syntec
2uy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #17

Royal Purple FTW!!!
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #18
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
Why does it suck? I used it for 8 years (until I bought a car I couldn't give a sht about) and never had problems.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in