magnaflow muffler only will it sound okay or farty sounding? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Extra Crispy!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: S.W.A.T.
Posts: 274
magnaflow muffler only will it sound okay or farty sounding?

I have a 07 accord coupe, 4cylinder, with no mods
I would like to get a magnaflow street series universal muffler for my car and just weld it on, i don't have the cash to get the catback, intake, resonator replacment, or dual it out, will it sound okay without doing all those other things or getting new pipping?
i don't want the fart can noise and i don't want it too loud, or sound cheap and retarded, will just replacing my muffler with the magnaflow one be okay?
Cripsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Super Mod
 
aprevo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,932
i'll tell you after this weekend. i just ordered a pair for my car. well mine is v6 so it might sound different though. i will be welding it on to my greddy piping.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Extra Crispy!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: S.W.A.T.
Posts: 274
i know everybody here says the magnaflow street series sound good, but should it sound good without all the extra exhaust mods?
Cripsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Super Mod
 
aprevo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,932
i don't think it will sound bad without all those mods you are talking about. if anything it will be quieter.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Unique_V6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 475
Send a message via AIM to Unique_V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprevo15 View Post
i don't think it will sound bad without all those mods you are talking about. if anything it will be quieter.
I have a V6 as well. I have OEM piping back to the "Y" and 2.25 from there to the magnaflow mufflers. Mine is as quiet as stock. Any suggestions on making it a bit louder without loosing mroe back pressure?
Unique_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #6
SSG
 
AccordArmy2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_V6 View Post
Any suggestions on making it a bit louder without loosing mroe back pressure?

DO you still have the Resonator and Pre-muffler installed in your stock piping? If so loose those and it will get a little louder. I have a pair of magnaflows on my v6 w/ no pre-muffler or resonator and I like to sound, it drones a little at about 2k-3k rpms, but it doesn't bother me, I like it...
AccordArmy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Unique_V6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 475
Send a message via AIM to Unique_V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordArmy2008 View Post
DO you still have the Resonator and Pre-muffler installed in your stock piping? If so loose those and it will get a little louder. I have a pair of magnaflows on my v6 w/ no pre-muffler or resonator and I like to sound, it drones a little at about 2k-3k rpms, but it doesn't bother me, I like it...
I have the same setup as you although i still have the stock resonator and pre-muffler. I tried the sound without either of them and it was a bit too loud for me. Could i get rid of just one of them and make the sound a bit louder?
Unique_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #8
SSG
 
AccordArmy2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 147
Hmmm... Yeah you could get rid of one of them. YOu just have to play with it and see which is more preferable for you. IF you remove the resonator, you won't really notice much in the way of loudness, it might even sound the same, but if you remove the pre-muffler and leave the resonator it may sound a bit louder... You just have to experiment with it and see which you prefer... Just realize the pre-muffler is like the oem mufflers (very restrictive). I think if you removed the pre-muffler, that may be all you need to do (you could always replace it, or even put a straight thru muffler, although at that point you might as well just have straight pipe).
AccordArmy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Super Mod
 
aprevo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,932
what size is the factory piping?
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Registered User
 
3.56thgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,416
you'll be fine might sound a little rice rev at idle
3.56thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #11
SSG
 
AccordArmy2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 147
Factory Piping is what 2"? 2.5"? I'm not sure, one of the more experience members might have the answer for that one. Would increasing the piping to 3" make much of a difference on sound, or loose out on performance (since it would be freeing up a tiny bit of backpressure)? I'm pretty sure the factory piping is between 2-2.5" though...
AccordArmy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Registered User
 
nOrcaL7thgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordArmy2008 View Post
Factory Piping is what 2"? 2.5"? I'm not sure, one of the more experience members might have the answer for that one. Would increasing the piping to 3" make much of a difference on sound, or loose out on performance (since it would be freeing up a tiny bit of backpressure)? I'm pretty sure the factory piping is between 2-2.5" though...
its 2... maybe even 1.75? 2.25 is what I got, and its way bigger then stock
nOrcaL7thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
 
mbr311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,038
I want to say the stock piping is 1.75". I know the J-Pipe Richie offers increases the j-pipe diameter from 1.75" to 2.25" and IIRC, the Borla I am about to install is either 2.25" or 2.5". I too am trying to figure out what to do if it is too quiet with the j-pipe, test pipe, Borla combo. I will probably start with the resonator first and see how that is, and then ditch the pre-muffler if I'm still not satisfied.


Now this is weird - this is the description I found on ebay for the borla exhaust:

Borla Performance Industries is proud to announce the release of Cat-Back™ system for the hot 2003-05 Honda Accord. This great sounding system is custom designed by BORLA R&D engineers for the 3.0L V6 engine with either automatic or manual transmission. In the BORLA tradition, this Cat-Back™ easily bolts on starting directly behind the catalytic converter with a 4” diameter, 20” long resonator muffler and then splits to two 1-3/4” diameter pipes with two 14” long oval mufflers, exiting with massive dual 4” polished tips.

For the Greddy, it says it is 60-70mm (it gets progressively larger) and that translates to 2.36" to 2.75".

I am having a hard time believing the Borla is only 1.75", it sure as hell looks a lot larger in diameter than that. I'm going to go outside and measure it now, lol...
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Super Mod
 
aprevo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,932
well i was going to get custom piping for the magnaflow mufflers coming in monday but just decided to mount it on my current evo2 piping. it should be okay.

i already removed the 2 mid resonators on my evo2 so once the magnaflows are installed, it will sound deep and loud.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #15
girl powah!!
 
03aV6cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,757
Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Question

hey guys, i too recently had some magnaflow mufflers installed. here's my dillema

i have richies jpipe and test pipe installed and the magnaflow mufflers(i dont know which model magnaflows) it sounds nice but imo it was too quiet.
i told the guy that i thought it was a lil quiet so he took off the pre-muffler. it did get a lil bit louder and has a nice sound to it. it has a nice lil deep sound to it, but i still want it a tad bit louder. he said he could remove richies test pipe and that would help, but i was under the impression the test pipe was there to help a bit in performance so i'm hesitant to have that removed.
soooo, basically i'm asking what should i do to get it to sound a lil louder...and i absolutely do not want a ricey sound!!!
should i go ahead and get custom 2.5" piping?
or should i just let him take out richies test pipe?
or should i remove the oem resonator?
or all of the above?
i just dont want to do anything either that will make me lose backpressue and cause a decrease in performance.
please..any suggestions are appreciated cuz i want to get this done asap!!!
__________________
Joyce
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #16
Super Mod
 
aprevo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,932
are the mufflers new? if so let it break in for a bit. it will get louder.

getting rid of richie's test pipe will not make it alot louder joyce.

get the new piping and get rid of any resonators after the test pipe and it will get louder.

props to you for wanting it loud. slammed and loud exhaust is the way to go.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #17
call me simon
 
simmykwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03aV6cpe View Post
hey guys, i too recently had some magnaflow mufflers installed. here's my dillema

i have richies jpipe and test pipe installed and the magnaflow mufflers(i dont know which model magnaflows) it sounds nice but imo it was too quiet.
i told the guy that i thought it was a lil quiet so he took off the pre-muffler. it did get a lil bit louder and has a nice sound to it. it has a nice lil deep sound to it, but i still want it a tad bit louder. he said he could remove richies test pipe and that would help, but i was under the impression the test pipe was there to help a bit in performance so i'm hesitant to have that removed.
soooo, basically i'm asking what should i do to get it to sound a lil louder...and i absolutely do not want a ricey sound!!!
should i go ahead and get custom 2.5" piping?
or should i just let him take out richies test pipe?
or should i remove the oem resonator?
or all of the above?
i just dont want to do anything either that will make me lose backpressue and cause a decrease in performance.
please..any suggestions are appreciated cuz i want to get this done asap!!!
i'm not sure how much louder you're hoping to have it. but i would start with widening the piping from the stock to the 2 1/4. if that's not loud enough then take out the oem resonator. what kind of piping do you have now? just stock?
simmykwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #18
SSG
 
AccordArmy2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 147
I wouldn't remove the test pipe... But like everyone else said get rid of the OEM resonator... and get bigger piping that should improve your sound lvl.. Right now I'm pretty happy with what I'm running, but I'm definately gonna get a bigger piping. Right now I have K&N CAI at the engine, then Richie's Jpipe and 3rd Cat Delete, goes to stock piping (minus resonator and pre-muffler) and exits out two magnaflows mufflers. SOunds pretty good I think, but I definatly need to replace the stock piping and get something around 2 - 2.5" piping
AccordArmy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
 
mbr311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,038
So why in the hell is Borla 1.75" in diameter? That kind of worries me if I have a 2.25" j-pipe, 2.25" test pipe and then I run into a 1.75" exhaust...won't that hurt my gains compared to the Greddy? I thought the exhausts all pretty much gave the same gains, but according to what I'm reading the Borla splits into 1.75" piping whereas the Greddy goes to almost 2.75". Or am I misreading something?
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #20
Registered User
 
dsjr2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 326
Wouldn't that be dual 1.75"??
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #21
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
 
mbr311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Wouldn't that be dual 1.75"??
Yea. It says it starts directly behind the catalytic converter with a 4 diameter, 20 long resonator muffler and then splits to two 1-3/4 diameter pipes with two 14 long oval mufflers, exiting with massive dual 4 polished tips.

Seems to me that 1.75" is pretty small, considering my j-pipe is 2.25" and my test pipe is 2.25" as well IIRC. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #22
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
 
Accordian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr311 View Post
Yea. It says it starts directly behind the catalytic converter with a 4 diameter, 20 long resonator muffler and then splits to two 1-3/4 diameter pipes with two 14 long oval mufflers, exiting with massive dual 4 polished tips.

Seems to me that 1.75" is pretty small, considering my j-pipe is 2.25" and my test pipe is 2.25" as well IIRC. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something.
That is kind of weird. Even my CL-S mufflers have 2" inlets. But I will say this, bigger isn't always better, so there must be a reason they went with that diameter.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #23
girl powah!!
 
03aV6cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,757
Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
thanks a bunch guys!!!! actually you guys are right i just have to let the mufflers break in. they already are getting louder and i am L O V I N G it!!
i'm so glad that i got these. oh and i found out which ones i have. i have the magnaflow race sounds great. nice deep tone so my review of the magnaflow race is A+ it's not ricey sounding at all and great sound. i'm going to go ahead and leave the jpipe and test pipe and just break in the mufflers a lil more
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #24
Super Mod
 
aprevo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03aV6cpe View Post
thanks a bunch guys!!!! actually you guys are right i just have to let the mufflers break in. they already are getting louder and i am L O V I N G it!!
i'm so glad that i got these. oh and i found out which ones i have. i have the magnaflow race sounds great. nice deep tone so my review of the magnaflow race is A+ it's not ricey sounding at all and great sound. i'm going to go ahead and leave the jpipe and test pipe and just break in the mufflers a lil more
that is awesome joyce.

i just got mine installed wednesday and already its getting louder. i love the way the magnaflow sounds. it sounds like greddy evo2 on steroids.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #25
Registered User
 
accordsoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 25
i have a V6. will the grredy or the magnaflow have better performance vs. sound? I'm talking about getting the full exhaust kit
accordsoar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #26
girl powah!!
 
03aV6cpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,757
Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprevo15 View Post
that is awesome joyce.

i just got mine installed wednesday and already its getting louder. i love the way the magnaflow sounds. it sounds like greddy evo2 on steroids.
post a vid, i really want to hear how it sounds w/ur greddy piping i bet it sounds sexy and mean
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #27
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
 
mbr311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordsoar View Post
i have a V6. will the grredy or the magnaflow have better performance vs. sound? I'm talking about getting the full exhaust kit
I'm pretty sure it comes down to what you personally like in regards to the look (larger canisters on the Greedy vs. regular canisters on the Magnaflow) and which one you personally like the sound of better. I know a lot of people on this site prefer the Greddy setup, but IMO I don't think there is much of a difference in performance. We're probably talking about a few ponies difference in the end. That's my .02

I got the Borla, and am about to install with my j-pipe and then install my test pipe at the same time. The borla is pretty quiet, but I'm going to let it "break in" and if I don't like the sound I'll cut the pre-muffler and/or the resonator and replace it with straight piping. I'll try to get some vids up when i finally get around to getting it installed - hopefully in the next week or so, just gotta get my buddy to get access to Progessive's garage and I'm set.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Registered User
 
yz85rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: georgia
Posts: 296
i actually have that same set up.
4 cylinder with dual piped magnaflow.
and its not cat back. just welded on mufflers

sounds really good.
not loud. but can be heard. here is a picture.
yz85rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #29
Super Mod
 
aprevo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03aV6cpe View Post
post a vid, i really want to hear how it sounds w/ur greddy piping i bet it sounds sexy and mean
i'll borrow my friend's cam and post a vid for you on this thread.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #30
Extra Crispy!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: S.W.A.T.
Posts: 274
i am going to get my magnaflow put on soon, is it bolt on? or do i need to weld it on?
Cripsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On