Installed Test Pipe + Borla - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Installed Test Pipe + Borla

So today I finally got access to my buddies shop and we installed the CorSport Aluminum shift bushings, Richie's test pipe and a Borla catback. That is in addition to my AEM CAI V1 and Richie's j-pipe.

First off, install was relatively easy. I'm glad I got all 5 exhaust hangers from Honda before the install, because we just cut the old exhaust hangers and just replaced them - so much easier. Also, whoever told me to use lithium grease was a freakin' genius! It made getting the exhaust into the new hangers so incredibly easy. anyone doing work with hangers needs to pick up a can of that stuff, will make your life 10x easier.

The stock rubber shift bushings were kind of a PITA to get out but I'm glad I did that mod - the aluminum bushings made the shifts even more crisp with my Comptech SS kit and Skunk2 weighted shift knob.

The test pipe was cake to install and so was the borla. Granted, we had all the necessary tools (power tools, lift, etc...). It all took about 3 hours I think.

It was so well worth it. I can't believe that the Borla is the "quietest" exhaust out there for the Accord. It's not that it was loud, but mated with the j-pipe and test pipe it was very nice and deep below 4k rpms. I really, really enjoy the sound. When I was reading up on it, I thought I was going to have to cut the pre-muffler or resonator for it to sound right, but I'm not doing either. I really like the deep tone to it with all the mods.

I know it's going to take my ECU a few days to adjust to the mods, so I can't really say I can feel a power difference right off the bat. Then again, I really didn't get on it - I was just enjoying running at low rpms and hearing the deep sound.

Great mods, great day of fun...I always enjoy putting mods on my car, always gives me a sense of satisfaction when I do my own work. I would advise anyone to get these mods (catback of your choice of course)!. I will try to get some sound clips up if I can get a hold of a video camera. Thanks to all who sold me the stuff for uber cheap (Richie and ebayking) and for the guy who told me to use lithium grease - it was a god send! And the 4" tips look so much more aggressive, it's dope.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2

Congrats man, will be checking for that vid.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #3

im running the same setup, but with the precat deletes.. The deep tone does sound great. Its not overpowering at all and it doesnt have a drone on the interstate.. awesome choice and congrats
Stevo405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo405 View Post
im running the same setup, but with the precat deletes.. The deep tone does sound great. Its not overpowering at all and it doesnt have a drone on the interstate.. awesome choice and congrats
How hard were the pre-cats to install? Did you do them yourself or have someone else install them? Did you notice a pretty nice increase in power vs. the setup I have?

Dammit, now I'm sitting here thinking about doing another mod
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #5

Also, did you lose any low-end torque with the pre-cat deletes? Not that it will matter soon with your new j36,lol. The reason I ask is because I have the pro-cats and been continplating getting Richies j-pipe over the Borla system. I heard this combination may make you lose low-end torque.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Glad you're enjoying your mods. I'll never forget the first drive after getting the exhaust on. Pure bliss!

So I'm curious about the shift bushings. What exactly do they do and does it make the shifting smoother? The shift action is my next task I think. Did the CT SS kit really make a big difference in shift throw length?
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Glad you're enjoying your mods. I'll never forget the first drive after getting the exhaust on. Pure bliss!

So I'm curious about the shift bushings. What exactly do they do and does it make the shifting smoother? The shift action is my next task I think. Did the CT SS kit really make a big difference in shift throw length?
First off, yes, the Comptech SS kit made a HUGE difference. You can go with Neuspeed too, about the same throws. I think they both reduce the throws by about 40%. It made a huge difference. it makes it more "mechanical" for lack of a better term - not only shorter throws, but more precise and a better/smoother feeling overall. It's a very inexpensive mod, usually the first thing I do with Honda's because I figure if you're going to shift thousands of times a year, might as well as enjoy it, right?

As for the CorSport shift bushings, I really can't comment too much right now as I just put them on last night and so I've only driven the car 2 times. I think the aluminum makes the shifts a little crisper, a little more precise as well. It just makes the whole shifting process butter. It wasn't nearly as big of a difference as the SS kit, but I think it did make it overall a bit better. It was only $35, so worthwhile mod to me. But I will forewarn you - getting the rubber bushings out is a PITA and they don't tell you that you've gotta take your intake out(stock or aftermarket) because I don't see how you could get to the bushings without doing so. It took us about an hour and they said it would take about 1/2 hour. It was mostly due to getting the rubber bushings out. We used a flathead to pry out a half and then some needle nose pliers to grab them and pull.

Great mods though, total for both is <$100. Add a weighted shift knob to that (like Skunk2) and you add another $50 or so. So for $150 you get, IMO, a great setup. Everyone that has driven my car (at the Honda dealership, at Discount tire when I'm getting my tires rotated, the few friends I let drive) have commented way more on the throws than anything else. The guys at Honda especially love it, they always ask me what I've done...lol.
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #8

sounds like a fun day of modding!

where did you get your Comptech SS? I'm thinking this will be next on my list, but noticed the prices have started to increase lately
rajin929 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajin929 View Post
sounds like a fun day of modding!

where did you get your Comptech SS? I'm thinking this will be next on my list, but noticed the prices have started to increase lately
I believe I ordered it straight from Comptech for $50...but I could be wrong, I ordered it like 4 years ago and I honestly can't remember. If the prices straight from Comptech are too high, check e-bay.
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr311 View Post
First off, yes, the Comptech SS kit made a HUGE difference. You can go with Neuspeed too, about the same throws. I think they both reduce the throws by about 40%. It made a huge difference. it makes it more "mechanical" for lack of a better term - not only shorter throws, but more precise and a better/smoother feeling overall. It's a very inexpensive mod, usually the first thing I do with Honda's because I figure if you're going to shift thousands of times a year, might as well as enjoy it, right?

As for the CorSport shift bushings, I really can't comment too much right now as I just put them on last night and so I've only driven the car 2 times. I think the aluminum makes the shifts a little crisper, a little more precise as well. It just makes the whole shifting process butter. It wasn't nearly as big of a difference as the SS kit, but I think it did make it overall a bit better. It was only $35, so worthwhile mod to me. But I will forewarn you - getting the rubber bushings out is a PITA and they don't tell you that you've gotta take your intake out(stock or aftermarket) because I don't see how you could get to the bushings without doing so. It took us about an hour and they said it would take about 1/2 hour. It was mostly due to getting the rubber bushings out. We used a flathead to pry out a half and then some needle nose pliers to grab them and pull.

Great mods though, total for both is <$100. Add a weighted shift knob to that (like Skunk2) and you add another $50 or so. So for $150 you get, IMO, a great setup. Everyone that has driven my car (at the Honda dealership, at Discount tire when I'm getting my tires rotated, the few friends I let drive) have commented way more on the throws than anything else. The guys at Honda especially love it, they always ask me what I've done...lol.
Thanks for the excellent info. I'm thinking the CT SS is next on the list.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #11
girl powah!!

Send a message via AIM to 03aV6cpe
awesome!! sounds like you had a fun day of modding. i too am extremely happy with the jpipe and test pipe...i wish i would of done the mod sooner. btw, please do post a vid. i'm anxious to hear how the borla sounds with the resonator and pre-muffler intact...

Official Slammed Club Member (Stage 3)
Featured Ride Of The Month (June-July 2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03aV6cpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I've just got to find a video camera and I'll try to get something up.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM   #13

Yeah i got the same set up too....except no jpipe
I would love to see some videos and more pics.
Mukman22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to SweetMt6speed
Being off the site for quite sometime and not feeling like using the search feature. Where and who did you order the parts from other than the comptech SS. I already installed this and yes it is a big difference. But as for the jpipe and such, this stuff was only being custom made and only a coupe of people had them installed. Are they being made by a custom order place only? Thanks for any reply that doesn't break my balls for being lazy! Ha! thanks
SweetMt6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #15
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

J-pipe and test pipe is still a custom piece. RichieV6 is still selling them, check out either the group buy section in classified's or his thread in this section that is stickied.

In regards to the Borla, I got it used off someone on this site for $415 shipped with only 7k miles on it. I consider that a steal

Aluminum bushings were ordered directly from CorSport.

Trying to think if there were any other questions...I still don't have access to a video camera so I can't get any sound clips up. Sorry
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukman22 View Post
Yeah i got the same set up too....except no jpipe
I would love to see some videos and more pics.
Here are some pictures I took. I can take more if you tell me what you want to see, though I don't think I can get any underbody pics as I don't have access to the lift anymore. http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...d.php?t=192755

In regards to vids, still looking to borrow a video camera. I promise, i want to share my "joy" as well so I'm trying! I do think, however, that I might try to cut out either the resonator or the pre-muffler soon and replace it with a straight pipe to see if that makes it even deeper. That's what I love about this setup - it isn't obnioxiously loud, so it doesn't attract unwanted attention. It is, however, very deep which I love. If I can cut out either the pre-muf or resonator and get it to sound even deeper, I'm all for it. Anyone have any feedback on that, like which one would be better to cut out? And if you have cut it out, did you use stainless steel piping?
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr311 View Post
If I can cut out either the pre-muf or resonator and get it to sound even deeper, I'm all for it. Anyone have any feedback on that, like which one would be better to cut out? And if you have cut it out, did you use stainless steel piping?
I think this thread will give you a lot of the info you're looking for.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8658
ypsibird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #18
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
I think this thread will give you a lot of the info you're looking for.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8658
Thanks, i'll check it out. I don't want my exhaust sounding like a G35, but I'm sure it will be helpful. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in