Borla and my rear HFP kit - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Borla and my rear HFP kit (pics included)

As most of you know, I installed the Borla catback on my car this weekend. I have the full HFP kit.

When we installed the catback, no matter what we did, we could not get the left tip off the lip. They are both centered perfectly, but the left tip is touching my rear lip. Is this going to cause the plastic on the rear lip to melt after time?

If so, what can I do? It's the exhaust hangers, no matter what we did we couldn't get the left tip down about 1/2 inch so it wasn't touching the lip. The right one is fine. Any advice? I've driven it for 2 days now and check my lip everytime and haven't noticed any problems, but I'm concerned when I go on long road trips and the exhaust pipes get really hot that I'm going to melt the plastic. Please help!!!!

Last edited by mbr311; February 14th, 2009 at 07:00 PM..
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
enjoying j36 luv

go to a muffler shop have them replace the hanger to fix the problem
stillloco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillloco View Post
go to a muffler shop have them replace the hanger to fix the problem

I already replaced all the hangers - all brand new from Honda when we did the install.

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Super Mod

^^^^^yep. do it asap. your lip is going to melt.

go to a muffler shop and have them heat up the metal hanger and bend it down a bit. then hang the rubber hangers on that. that is what i did.

or you can just get longer rubber hangers.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprevo15 View Post
^^^^^yep. do it asap. your lip is going to melt.

go to a muffler shop and have them heat up the metal hanger and bend it down a bit. then hang the rubber hangers on that. that is what i did.

or you can just get longer rubber hangers.

Ok, that makes total sense. Too bad I didn't think of this when I had the car on the lift. I'm going to contact some muffler shops and get a quote on how much this is going to cost me. Sounds like an easy fix.

BTW, where can you get longer rubber hangers? I'm thinking if I can do that, I could probably fix it myself.
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Super Mod

the mufflers shops will have it. if you buy it there then i am sure they'll just put your car on the lift and put it on for you. its a real easy job. if they want to charge you then bring it home and do it yourself.

but yeah most muffler shops will carry those.

btw i paid $30 to have them heat up the metal and bend it down.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #7

As Aprevo stated earlier the muffler shop has the capabilty with the torch to heat up the hangers in order to center the exhaust. It shouldn't cost to much to have them fix it. They shouldn't have to reinstall the catback to fix this problem. If so, they don't know what they are doing.
Vutang1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
the mufflers shops will have it. if you buy it there then i am sure they'll just put your car on the lift and put it on for you. its a real easy job. if they want to charge you then bring it home and do it yourself.

but yeah most muffler shops will carry those.

btw i paid $30 to have them heat up the metal and bend it down.
Thanks man, you've been a really big help. Now I have to pray that I don't burn the plastic tomorrow because I do have to take a road trip and i can't get it fixed tonight due to prior commitments. Damn...maybe if I call them and get an idea of how long it will take, maybe I can get it done tonight. We'll have to see, but thanks a ton!
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vutang1 View Post
As Aprevo stated earlier the muffler shop has the capabilty with the torch to heat up the hangers in order to center the exhaust. It shouldn't cost to much to have them fix it. They shouldn't have to reinstall the catback to fix this problem. If so, they don't know what they are doing.
Thank you tons. I just talked to a muffler shop, they said it shouldn't be a big deal after I explained the problem and said it shouldn't cost too much. I should be able to get it in this afternoon to get it fixed. Thanks a bunch to everyone for the advice! That's why I love this board
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #10
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
pics!!!
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I'm on stock height with stock wheels, I'm embarrased to post pics

lol...I'll try to get some a** shots tonight...I didn't take any pics during the install so no underbody pics. BTW, damn, my shinny j-pipe now looks like I've had it on the car for like 4 years. So sad with all this salt what it does to shinny metal.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I went to Car X - cool as hell. All they did was shave off two bumper clips that weren't needed (underneath the rear lip kit) which gave us some much needed room, rearranged some of the clamps, tightened them down and then everything was flush. He didn't change the hangers or heat any of the metal - basically he was able to pull the exhaust down with his hands and tighten/re-arrange the clamps and it worked perfectly. At first he was worried that he wasn't going to be able to do anything because he was like "sometimes aftermarket parts just don't fit the car like they're supposed to" but he figured it out.

Took 15 minutes and they didn't charge me a dime. Freakin' cool as hell - I'm going to head back over there tomorrow and find the guy that did the work and give him a 20 spot so he can buy a case of beer or something. Everything is even now, about 1/2-3/4" off my rear lip - looks great!

It's nice to deal with "car guys" in these instances - he was talking to me about all my mods (j-pipe, test pipe, etc..) and when he took it off the lift he started reving it and was like "man, that sounds good." Very cool guy...and thanks for everyone's help, I'll have no issues now.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Super Mod

how about some sound clips and vids. damn i want to hear it now.
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Great to hear you got it all straightened out, no pun intended.

I wish there were more exhaust shops like that out there. I've always had... errrr... "interesting" experiences with them. I'm always very nervous to have them touch my car, especially when I feel like I know more about cars than they do. Sounds like you found a great place to take your car in the future though. Very cool.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
how about some sound clips and vids. damn i want to hear it now.

Gotta borrow a video camera! I'll get it up as soon as I can.
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Crimson Tide

Send a message via AIM to Blackhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Blackhawk
I need to do the opposite on the Hawk... I need to lift the exhaust. Bad thing that it's so low now that I need to find the muffler shop that has a flush lift
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #17
-Brian

Send a message via AIM to NexsoN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
I need to do the opposite on the Hawk... I need to lift the exhaust. Bad thing that it's so low now that I need to find the muffler shop that has a flush lift
good luck lol
NexsoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Do you still have the stock Honda exhaust hangers?

And yea, the lift I took it to yesterday, if I would have been lowered on even the HFP kit I don't think they would have been able to get me off of it.

Too bad you don't live near me, my buddy that works for Progressive, we use their rotary lift. Doesn't matter how low you are, you can get up "flush." Don't know if you've ever seen a rotary lift but it is awesome. Wish I could afford something like in the future to put in a three car garage or something
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Edit:

Pics have been added to new thread.

Last edited by mbr311; February 15th, 2009 at 07:50 AM..
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #20

Everything looks good. Is it me or are your tips more inward, like more towards the inside edge of the exhaust openings? Good thing you got that issue handled though cuz those tips will get hot as hell. I accidentally hit my leg on my magnaflow muffler tip and still have the burn mark from like 6 months ago!
Abailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #21
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abailey4 View Post
Everything looks good. Is it me or are your tips more inward, like more towards the inside edge of the exhaust openings? Good thing you got that issue handled though cuz those tips will get hot as hell. I accidentally hit my leg on my magnaflow muffler tip and still have the burn mark from like 6 months ago!
You are correct, they are more towards the inside edge of the exhaust openings, but much, much better than before. The right tip was touching the rear bumper before I got it fixed. They are spaced evenly, but unfortunately we couldn't get them dead-center in the exhaust cut-outs. They just happen to be a bit towards the inside...but at least they're not touching, so no worries there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in