Spring maintenance and bolt-ons - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #1

Spring maintenance and bolt-ons

Hey all, in a couple of weeks I am going to perform some spring maintenance on my 2003 accord 6 speed w/ about 90kms on it (56000 miles) consisting of:

- Installing Corsport Bushings
- Changing Tranny fluid to GM Synchromesh
- Installing RV6 Jpipe/test pipe
- Installing Magnaflow cat back (15824)
- Installing Powerslot Rotors/ Hawk HPS pads
- Installing Unorthodox Ultra SC Pulley (Changing Belt)
- Changing Oil
- Throughing summer tires/rims back on.
- Shampooing & Cleaning Engine
- Waxing

I've been planning these mods and maintenance for a while now after the help of many of the forums on this site. I can not believe how helpful it is to have other share information like this. Thank you all for sharing!

***One question I have is; should I perform a seafoam carbon cleaning? My idling is a little rough but I don't know whether or not to trust this product.

Please let me know your opinions & any other recommendations you may have. Can't wait to run this baby this summer!!!
Slick6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Looks like a lot on your plate, but fun times! Good luck.

I like to spread my mods out so I can feel the benefits of them one-by-one, but that's just me.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #3

Yea i know I've just been waiting a while to do this. didn't want to install until the snow starts to disappear. And it is a lot of cost to absorb during these times lol. But i'm just to excited to wait!! Also I would rather spend one long day in the shop rather than many days over the summer when I am very busy at work. Any other recommendations though MBR?

Old February 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Well, you've certainly done your research on the mods. I can tell you you're going to love the power gains.

What about either a Comptech or Neuspeed short shift kit? It's about $50 and really shortens the throws (by about 40&#37. I loved that mod so much.

Everything else looks golden to me. Nice performance parts, the GM synchromesh fluid is something I want to do as well. That's why I'm suggesting to go with a SS kit, you'll love it!

Any thoughts about dropping the car? That's what I want to do here eventually. Have fun though!
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM   #5
J35 Honda Saber

Send a message via AIM to adamlee05
Seafoam is a great product, really cleans things out well.

If you decide to do it, add 1/3 of it through the intake via a vacuum line, 1/3 to about a quarter tank of fuel, and 1/3 to your crankcase. After you suck it in through the vacuum line, let the car sit 15 minutes then start it up and let it idle a minute or so, then take it for a drive, try to go through the entire power band a couple times. Don't worry about any white smoke, thats normal. Make sure you have someone feathering the throttle while you suck it through a vacuum line, it can kill the engine, just try to maintain an idle-speed until 1/3 of it is in, then turn the car off.

I'd recommend driving the car 50-100 miles with it in your crankcase, then immediately change your oil. Might want to change your plugs since you're doing all this maintenance, especially since the seafoaming can foul your plugs in short time. NGK iridium's are great. Don't worry about the 1/3 thats in the quarter tank of fuel, it won't harm your new plugs, though I'd try to use up the gas before installing the new plugs just to feel good about it.

Fresh clean, new plugs and oil. It'll be a happy little engine
adamlee05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM   #6
Honda Tech

+1 on the seafoam ... good stuff works really well
Matt04V6EX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM   #7
so JDM my blood's Type R

Nice. But I thought you could only use Honda Tranny fluid nothing else why don't you just go ahead and get the tl-s cams in since you're gona have pulley and belts off? That is what I am going to do once I decide to change my timing belts. I am currently at like 57,xxx will do changes at about 60,xxx-65,xxx
simdono6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by simdono6 View Post
Nice. But I thought you could only use Honda Tranny fluid nothing else why don't you just go ahead and get the tl-s cams in since you're gona have pulley and belts off? That is what I am going to do once I decide to change my timing belts. I am currently at like 57,xxx will do changes at about 60,xxx-65,xxx
A lot of people have used the GM Sychromesh tranny fluid and have loved it.

And good call on the TL-S cams.

BTW, you don't need to change your timing belt until 100-105k miles. Doing it at 60k is a major overkill and costly at that. Unless you are doing it yourself of course
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr311 View Post

BTW, you don't need to change your timing belt until 100-105k miles. Doing it at 60k is a major overkill and costly at that. Unless you are doing it yourself of course
Yes I know, wasn't going to change the timing belt yet. BTW whats the benefit of TL-S cams? what are they going to cost me?
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee05 View Post
Seafoam is a great product, really cleans things out well.

If you decide to do it, add 1/3 of it through the intake via a vacuum line, 1/3 to about a quarter tank of fuel, and 1/3 to your crankcase. After you suck it in through the vacuum line, let the car sit 15 minutes then start it up and let it idle a minute or so, then take it for a drive, try to go through the entire power band a couple times. Don't worry about any white smoke, thats normal. Make sure you have someone feathering the throttle while you suck it through a vacuum line, it can kill the engine, just try to maintain an idle-speed until 1/3 of it is in, then turn the car off.

I'd recommend driving the car 50-100 miles with it in your crankcase, then immediately change your oil. Might want to change your plugs since you're doing all this maintenance, especially since the seafoaming can foul your plugs in short time. NGK iridium's are great. Don't worry about the 1/3 thats in the quarter tank of fuel, it won't harm your new plugs, though I'd try to use up the gas before installing the new plugs just to feel good about it.

Fresh clean, new plugs and oil. It'll be a happy little engine
It sounds really beneficial for me, especially since im sure my car has an abundance of carbon build up since it was summer driven only until last year. The question is will SEAFOAM damage other vital engine parts, and how much will these after-market plugs cost me? the OEM spark plugs are 82 CDN each!! OUCH
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM   #11
so JDM my blood's Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick6MT View Post
Yes I know, wasn't going to change the timing belt yet. BTW whats the benefit of TL-S cams? what are they going to cost me?

$300 plus w.e labor cost would be.
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM   #12
so JDM my blood's Type R

Quote:

I will be paying someone to do it. That is why I mind as well change the timing belts. I wish I could do all this work on my own
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM   #13

in one of the threads it says the jpipe is only beneficial with f/i, otherwise you lose torque
ahhhz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM   #14

where you from op?
6mtsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #15
J35 Honda Saber

Quote:
It sounds really beneficial for me, especially since im sure my car has an abundance of carbon build up since it was summer driven only until last year. The question is will SEAFOAM damage other vital engine parts, and how much will these after-market plugs cost me? the OEM spark plugs are 82 CDN each!! OUCH
It's very beneficial. Its safe for your O2 sensors so don't worry about them or anything else really. $82CAN per plug? Thats ridiculous. You need NGK Laser Iridium Long Life plugs, part IZFR6K-11. They're listed at $12.06 USD on NGK's website. Part stores should be able to order them or look online for cheaper prices.

The TL-S cams are suppose to increase your power in VTEC by a considerable amount. There is a long thread on it check it out.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mtsedan View Post
where you from op?
West Mississauga

I like the idea of the seafoam but I messaged paul with regards to performing it and he made a very valid point... "where does the carbon go?" I'm no mechanic but it seems it would get caught in the pre-cats which would gunk them up along with the O2 sensors (which are an arm and a leg to replace). I could care less if the carbon goes to the third cat or the rest of the stock jpipe/catback setup because its all being shelved for a few years until I sell the car.

IDK I really want to do this i'm just a little skeptical
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee05 View Post
It's very beneficial. Its safe for your O2 sensors so don't worry about them or anything else really. $82CAN per plug? Thats ridiculous. You need NGK Laser Iridium Long Life plugs, part IZFR6K-11. They're listed at $12.06 USD on NGK's website. Part stores should be able to order them or look online for cheaper prices.

The TL-S cams are suppose to increase your power in VTEC by a considerable amount. There is a long thread on it check it out.

Yea those plugs look awesome, I'm going to talk to my distributor and see if he can pick the whole set up for me this week. BTW what oil are you guys using? I'm not going the synthetic route yet but I've been on just regular castrol gtx 5w 20. Seemingly working with the engine but I wouldn't mind moving to a premium product.

This thread is a mess now I apologize. Becoming more of a general spring maintenance chat
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:19 PM   #18
J35 Honda Saber

The carbon is dissolved into the petroleum liquid and burned, tiny particles will escape through the exhaust but that happens at all times even during daily driving. Its not a concern for your cat nor O2 sensors. The only reason it can foul your plugs is that they are in the combustion chamber soaking for a while.

I run Mobile 1 full Synthetic. Longer life, less break down at high engine speeds and very clean.

If you're not comfortable doing it then don't, but it won't harm anything. Again just a suggestion. But do what you want, its your car

And its not a mess, you've got questions and you're doing things to your car. This is what the forums are for!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:11 AM   #19
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhz View Post
in one of the threads it says the jpipe is only beneficial with f/i, otherwise you lose torque

Um, no. I installed it with just an intake and gained low-to-mid range torque. Richie's dyno on an auto showed 5whp and 7wtq with just the j-pipe IIRC. that was just peak gains - it showed gains throughout the entire powerband. Great mod, actually probably my favorite of all of them at this point.
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Hey all, in a couple of weeks I am going to perform some spring maintenance on my 2003 accord 6 speed w/ about 90kms on it (56000 miles) consisting of:

- Installing Corsport Bushings
- Changing Tranny fluid to GM Synchromesh
- Installing RV6 Jpipe/test pipe
- Installing Magnaflow cat back (15824)
- Installing Powerslot Rotors/ Hawk HPS pads
- Installing Unorthodox Ultra SC Pulley (Changing Belt)
- Changing Oil
- Throughing summer tires/rims back on.
- Shampooing & Cleaning Engine
- Waxing

I've been planning these mods and maintenance for a while now after the help of many of the forums on this site. I can not believe how helpful it is to have other share information like this. Thank you all for sharing!

***One question I have is; should I perform a seafoam carbon cleaning? My idling is a little rough but I don't know whether or not to trust this product.

Please let me know your opinions & any other recommendations you may have. Can't wait to run this baby this summer!!!
So far I've done the corsport bushings/waxing and engine shampoo. I opted not to perform seafoam cleaning from the advice of several sources, instead I just cleaned my throttle body with a toothbrush and TB cleaner (using a rag not spraying). It seemed to smooth things out a bit. The bushings are an incredible improvement in my opinion, even with my stock shifter. This week I will be installing the catback, jpipe/test pipe, rotors/pads, and UR pulley stock size. I will post videos once completed. Also I decided not to change my tranny fluid yet after the positive results of the bushings, this makes me want to stay with the honda MTF fluid and not experiment too much.
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #21
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Man that's a lot of work. You're going to have a completely different car, I can tell you that!

BTW, spend the extra $50 and get a Comptech SS kit. You might as well and trust me, you will LOVE it. It makes the throws 40% shorter and makes the gear box butter.
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #22
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
+1 on comptech SS kit. love mine.

id get honda trany oil. they have new formula which is as good as GM (this came from reliable source).
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #23
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy272004 View Post
+1 on comptech SS kit. love mine.

id get honda trany oil. they have new formula which is as good as GM (this came from reliable source).
What's it called? I find I have to be very specific with my dealer when i request certain things. Either a name of the new formula or a product # would be outstanding, I'm due for a tranny oil change here soon. Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #24
newbies here!

Can we use the same part number for the belt when you put an UR pulley??
MickAv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #25
I <3 My J30A4

mickav6 i dont think you can since the belt for the pulley has to be smaller that is only if you go with the underdriven since it is smaller than the stock one but that is only if you buy the underdriven one from u/r. I do not know about the other sizes.
qnzthg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #26
newbies here!

ok thanks! can someone have the part number for the belt of an underdriven pulley? thanks!
MickAv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #27
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
Quote:
What's it called? I find I have to be very specific with my dealer when i request certain things. Either a name of the new formula or a product # would be outstanding, I'm due for a tranny oil change here soon. Thanks!
just go there and tell them you need honda manual transmition fluid/oil. if they gona ask you for part number then id **** them and go to another dealer or order online, and i would ask to talk to manager or some shing for giving you hard time
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in