What's the best way to launch at the track? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Honda Tech

What's the best way to launch at the track?

Well it's coming to be that time of year again. track time Now as I've posted in a previous thread I've owned two Camaros and this accord and never have been to the track. Idk what is wrong with me but I think this year and this car will pop my virgin track cherry. (Also because a lot of people think our cars are slower than they really are) Now I just have an intake and exhaust and a 6 Speed and some new tires. Now I was jw what the best way to launch our cars was i. e. RPMs? Dumping the clutch or gradually letting out and flooring it? TCS on or off? Do's and Don'ts? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Now I talked to someone last year with the same kind of Accord as me and he say he ran 14.1 w/ intake and exhaust. Now my friend threw the but is this feasible? And what numbers should i expect to see at the track? I am on the GB for the ETD so how would affect the times? If at all?
Matt04V6EX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2
SSM_AV6-6

The other thread you posted in has an I/JP/TP 6 speed running a 14.0... honestly, the performance bolt-ons probably don't help us out quite as much as traction mods will. In stock form, I believe the car has enough power to at least reach a 14.0. It will take a perfect launch to get that though, but I think with decent tires, mounts etc. the car can do that stock.

as for launching your car... looks like Sonnick and I pretty much launch the same, with inconsistent but decent results. Basically, just rev it up to maybe 2000 and then slip the clutch just like you would pulling away from a stop sign... do NOT dump the clutch, wheelhop city will result. Believe it or not our torqueless Hondas have enough low end to take off from the tree with minimal or no real wheelspin/clutch riding and still get a 2.2 60 ft with everything stock down to the tires.
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #3
frumaroll

is it just my motormounts or my suspension, or does everyone have wheelhop so bad that it seems like you'll break and axel and that it leaves like 6 inch skips on ur skid mark
six6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Yea, wheelhop is pretty bad in first gear. I have ****ty Yokohama YK520s and on the street in mild weather if I leave traction control on I slip the clutch at about 3500rpms and that seems to work well. With TCS off, it's a gamble if I'll ever hook up in first gear.

never been to the track so I can't comment. What kind of tires do you have? if you have some stickies, you can launch higher. And BTW, wouldn't dump the clutch for a number of reason, one being you could grenade the tranny.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #5
SSM_AV6-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by six6 View Post
is it just my motormounts or my suspension, or does everyone have wheelhop so bad that it seems like you'll break and axel and that it leaves like 6 inch skips on ur skid mark
I think it's a combination of both. The more I learn about these cars, the more I realize it's just a pedestrian Honda with a powerful engine in it and minor details to attract performance-oriented drivers... like the strut bar and the bigger brakes that always warp.
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Honda Tech

thats why i got drilled and slotted rotors i have sumitomos htr+ i think 215/50/17 on stock rims i wanna go to the track this summer ... i hope the ETD helps
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #7

taking off TCS is a must! gotta play that fine line between grip and slip... i got basically stock tires + wheels with sc and i can still make first gear grip... it's second gear i gotta feather the throttle to control
ahhhz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhz View Post
taking off TCS is a must! gotta play that fine line between grip and slip... i got basically stock tires + wheels with sc and i can still make first gear grip... it's second gear i gotta feather the throttle to control

Why do you have stock tires with that much power? I can barely hook with ~215whp and you make close to 300whp IIRC
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #9

do you know how much it costs to install SC?? stock tires will work for now
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Honda Tech

NONE ... if you do it yourself haha
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
do you know how much it costs to install SC?? stock tires will work for now
Just figured if you had that much loot to drop on a SC and install, what's another few hundred so you can hook up? J/P
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #12
tuckin

we have traction control?
coupeblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #13

^^yes the secret button left of the steering wheel... press at own risk!

the instant i realized i could afford SC i went for it. all those other things will come into place eventually,

like: fuel pump, tein ss, wheels/tires, pro-cats, clutch, as we know, the list goes on like an eight on its side.

slotted rotors/braided lines/super blue fluid/pads this week because stopping her now is slightly sketchy...

Last edited by ahhhz; March 17th, 2009 at 06:45 PM..
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #14
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupeblack View Post
we have traction control?

wat? You've never noticed the bright orange exlamation point in a triangle showing up on your dash when you lose traction? lulz...
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #15
frumaroll

lmao
six6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #16
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr311 View Post
Yea, wheelhop is pretty bad in first gear. I have ****ty Yokohama YK520s and on the street in mild weather if I leave traction control on I slip the clutch at about 3500rpms and that seems to work well. With TCS off, it's a gamble if I'll ever hook up in first gear.

never been to the track so I can't comment. What kind of tires do you have? if you have some stickies, you can launch higher. And BTW, wouldn't dump the clutch for a number of reason, one being you could grenade the tranny.
dumping the clutch is fine. just dont do it at a real high rpm.

Matt, if your serious about getting some good 60 ft's and E/T's at the track, buying some DR's (BFG's, nitto etc,..) is a must IMO. heat em up for about 6-8 seconds, keep the gas steady at around 3.5rpm and dump it. then when you feel them grip, WOT

this is the method i used to achieve my 2.0 60 fts this way. just to compare, the same day at the track a 2.0 to a 2.2 60ft cost me .5 in the E/T.

you have to address other things like, suspension, motor mounts, and other key components that is going to tame that nasty wheel hop, which kills your tranny and axles.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post

Matt, if your serious about getting some good 60 ft's and E/T's at the track, buying some DR's (BFG's, nitto etc,..) is a must IMO. heat em up for about 6-8 seconds, keep the gas steady at around 3.5rpm and dump it. then when you feel them grip, WOT

this is the method i used to achieve my 2.0 60 fts this way. just to compare, the same day at the track a 2.0 to a 2.2 60ft cost me .5 in the E/T.

you have to address other things like, suspension, motor mounts, and other key components that is going to tame that nasty wheel hop, which kills your tranny and axles.

I just refuse to dump my clutch. To each his own. 1st gear is the hardest on the car and dumping the clutch can grenade your tranny if you don't know what you're doing. I just hold at 3500rpms and slip. it's not a prolonged slip, so maybe you and I just have different definitions of what "dump" means

Also, I'm asking this to gain knowledge, not to question you - but can our axles hold up to using DR's and dumping the clutch off the line? Or do we need to do some upgrading as you suggested in the last line of your post.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #18
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
I just refuse to dump my clutch. To each his own. 1st gear is the hardest on the car and dumping the clutch can grenade your tranny if you don't know what you're doing. I just hold at 3500rpms and slip. it's not a prolonged slip, so maybe you and I just have different definitions of what "dump" means

Also, I'm asking this to gain knowledge, not to question you - but can our axles hold up to using DR's and dumping the clutch off the line? Or do we need to do some upgrading as you suggested in the last line of your post.
i estimate around 90-100 hard, clutch-dumping launches and never broke a tranny or my oem accord axles. like i said, what ever style you use in terms to launching your car, wheel hop will ALWAYS be your nemesis.

04-06 TL-s axles is a good OEM upgrade. beefier shafts and splines than the accord units. need to change the half shaft too i found that out the hard way
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #19

^ how much do tl-s axles go for roughly?
04simple_accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #20
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04simple_accord View Post
^ how much do tl-s axles go for roughly?
just picked up some brand spanking new ones from acura of peoria for 352.00 shipped.

half shaft can be had a junkyard for 75 or so, if not that a new one is 195
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #21
J35A2K23B18CSRDETT2JZLOL

this is how I do my launch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZG3...e=channel_page

I guess it's all depends on what you have under the hood, right mix of power and timing will give you good time
SIRSIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #22
Super Mod

do you guys power shift?
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #23
tuckin

Quote:
wat? You've never noticed the bright orange exlamation point in a triangle showing up on your dash when you lose traction? lulz...
haha no can we turn it on and off???

God i feel like such a nooooobb
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #24
tuckin

i just looked and there is no button nor exclamation point, am i alone? i have an 03 btw

im pretty sure i4s like mine and being an o3 dont have tc
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #25
SSM_AV6-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprevo15 View Post
do you guys power shift?
I don't think this would be a good thing to do. #1. you shouldn't have a reason to do this unless you have a nice big turbo that will take a little bit to spool up during a regular shift, and #2. Honda synchros aren't the most durable in the world. Almost every 10+ year old Honda I've owned had 2nd and 3rd gear synchros that were bad.
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post

What DR's do you have experience with?
Stevo405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #27

Quote:
^^yes the secret button left of the steering wheel... press at own risk!

the instant i realized i could afford SC i went for it. all those other things will come into place eventually,

like: fuel pump, tein ss, wheels/tires, pro-cats, clutch, as we know, the list goes on like an eight on its side.

slotted rotors/braided lines/super blue fluid/pads this week because stopping her now is slightly sketchy...
Your better off going with Richies pre-cat deletes than the pro-cats if you have a sc.

Last edited by Archangel72; March 19th, 2009 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: info
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #28
Honda Tech

Quote:
i just looked and there is no button nor exclamation point, am i alone? i have an 03 btw

do you have ABS? you cant have T/C w/o ABS

(same goes with stability control (which we do not have) cant have stability control w/o T/C)
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #29
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:

Oh I didn't know you had the 4 cylinder. Don't know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in