Which engine oil should i use? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #1

Which engine oil should i use?

Royal Purple? Mobil 1? Motul?
also, i still dont get whats the difference between 5w30,5w40 or 10w30,10w40...
which one would you guys recommend since im running Supercharged and Methanol injection in my car???
i also heard that i should use different oil during summer and winter...
last question... how often should i change the oil? 3k or 5k miles?

Last edited by nicepeta; April 15th, 2009 at 08:40 AM..
nicepeta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #2

I would recomend Royal Purple 5w-30. Royal Purple is a true synthetic that is performance based. Why the 30? I put 5w30 on mine because I have 50k miles on my engine, its for protection. Nighthawk04v6 also uses 5w30 for protection because he is FI. The bigger the number the more potent the oil, that is why usually trucks have the bigger numbers; more protection, bigger engine, runs it cooler, etc.. The first number has to do with the oil freezing up over the winter. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, I don't think changing to a 0w would make all that big a diffrence, but you could run a 0w in the summer because there is no possibility of it freezing.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Bobby Lane Racing

castrol GTX. Synthetic doesn't do anything for our engines.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #4

I'm not debbating with you and the vast experience you have over me, I'm just going to assume your right and I'm stuck because I switched to sythn and can't go back. but my cars have always run smoother and quieter with synth, I also get better gas milage. Peter are you still on conventional or have you switched to synthetic?
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #5
cunning linguist

Honestly, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference.
You can use a 0W if you are going for max power, but I think its a little too thin to use daily (IMHO).

Just buy decent oil, use a decent filter, and you are ahead of the game.
I use Mobil 1 just because I am used to buying it for the Z, but I would just as easily sub most anything else into either car and not lose any sleep over it.

If you are really concerned about oil, I'd add an external oil cooler. Lowering the actual oil temp (especially with FI) should do more to help your engine/oil than any particular oil would. Look at the old air cooled racing porsche's. The oil coolers (especially giant front mounted ones)essentially kept the entire engine cool. Good enough for me.

My $0.02

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #6

im using royal purple 5w30 for about 2 years...
but now since im running SC/HBP + methanol... i thought i need to change the oil to something else... at least something different than 5w30...
nicepeta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #7
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
I'm not debbating with you and the vast experience you have over me, I'm just going to assume your right and I'm stuck because I switched to sythn and can't go back. but my cars have always run smoother and quieter with synth, I also get better gas milage. Peter are you still on conventional or have you switched to synthetic?
You can go back. Your car doesn't care.

Really.

I wouldn't, since its only a few bucks and you seem to think your car runs better with it, but your car doesn't care.

-Brian-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Super Mod

i just synthetic oil cause i don't need to change it often then.

kiet (nighthawk04v6) recently changed mine with motul and i love it. my car seems to run better. i've been using mobil 1 until this time and motul is better. or it could be in my head. lol.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to SweetMt6speed
Castrol Syntec I use it no problems 5W30 Usually found cheaper than
Mobil 1 at my local pepboys or sometimes I go over to my Walmart and pick it up there. I have never had any kind of issue at all with it so I'm sticking with it. WWW.CastrolSyntec.com watch the tourture chamber test. Good enough advertising for me. I figure it this way, If the other companies had better oils, why wouldn't they advertise with a similar test? In my world Castrol wins- The End
SweetMt6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #10
cunning linguist

They've gotten sued over those ads a few times. I wouldn't trust much of what you see. That said... it is a perfectly fine oil, I just wouldn't believe the commercials.

On the same note, Syntec isn't a 'real' synthetic in the way that others are. Its just a highly refined dino. I don't think that makes a lick of difference, but because of (other) lawsuits, it can't actually be sold as 'synthetic' in the EU.

I'll still buy it if its on sale, just some food for thought.

-Brian-
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #11

I use castrol GTX dino oil. with a Mobil 1 oil filter. I just change it more often. I would like to run synthetic but I don't really care either way as long as my car runs reliably.

All of my friend's cars run Torco Oil. I've used it once and was happy.
JCharged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Super Mod

someone was saying that royal purple burns faster so you need to change it more often. is there any truth to this?
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #13
DAT Dewd from Dallas MANG

Red face

Vavoline 5w-30 or 5w-20 or
my personal favorite
SHELL HELIX
I like ROyal Purple (just to rich for my blood)
bdbconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Free Mustache Rides

I went from Royal Purple to ENEOS... and i like the difference... i noticed it more with my GEAR OIL... I use to grind the clutch from 2nd to 3rd and since i made the change in dosn't happen as frequent as it did when i had royal purple gear oil...

and as for everyone.. you guy are changing the PCV VALVE with every other oil change right?

what does the PCV VALVE do? its what keep your oil healthy, if you dont change it often it you might notice hat your oil turns dark quick, its when the PCV valve is clogged it doesn't let the combustion out so it stays with the oil...

as far as how often you replace your oil...

synthetic oil is usually 7k with some like the CASTRO EDGE and the MOBIL 1: EXTENDED LIFE you can push it to 15k (not recommended that you do) but you can. and make sure you use a performance filter as well.. K&N or Mobil 1.

so for those that put on the cheap conventional... in the long run.. you are paying more... i know Autozone usually has synthetic specials that run you about 30bucks for 5quarts and a filter.. its good when its CASTRO SINTEC and the K&N FILTER... or even the MOBIL 1 oil w/ mobil 1 filter...
87UNITS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepeta View Post
im using royal purple 5w30 for about 2 years...
but now since im running SC/HBP + methanol... i thought i need to change the oil to something else... at least something different than 5w30...
Jesus christ, don't take this the wrong way but I was looking at your garage and I am scared to think of how much money you have dumped into your car. I hope you never get rid of it, it's one of a kind.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
mobil1 with bosch filter for my boosted AV6

chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Honda Tech

i just go with what the owners manual says (weight wise) i always use full synthetic mobil one plus advanced has some gooooood deals on these
Matt04V6EX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #18
Saiken

Send a message via AIM to DrachenV6
Oil:
For those using M1. Out of all the Mobil1 oil weights 5w30 and 10w30 received the greatest number of protection certifications after testing. 5w30 is the only M1 oil weight to pass Honda's HT-06 certification for use in the turbocharged Acura RDX.

Filters:
There are many good and bad ones, but three readily available filters that use synthetic filter elements and filter 99+% are Mobil-1, Bosch, and purolator pure one. Ive read some forums claiming that all three are made by champion filter company.

I buy a 5qt jug of oil at walmart ($26) and 2packs of purolator from amazon ($10 for 2).
DrachenV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM   #19
Supercharged 07AV6

aaa
7thgencordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM   #20

Speaking of Mobil 1, they introduced the 0W20 to gain marketshare when they did NOT have the 5W20 formula.

I stocked up on this stuff, 15 cases, and now they have the 5W20 blend. I ONLY use the 0W20 for winter.
sirchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #21
Saiken

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf
This is information contained on the label.

I found the pdf if you guys want to take a look. M1 also makes a synthetic class of racing oils (not street legal), that will mess up your catalytic converter over time.

^Im under the suspicion that the 0wXX and 5w20 oils are really good initially but break down faster than the 5w30. I was looking at the ACEA ratings and from what i understand A4/B5 is a test of oil viscocity at long drain intervals. (ps. 0w20 is $4/qt while 5w30 is $6.xx/qt at walmart)

I actually change the oil on all of the cars in the household, so I go through alot. Ive been using 5w30 for the Accord02, Camry08+06, and even the Corolla09 (factory recommended 0w20).

My friend has a 93 tt-supra and he started running M1 10w30 after I showed him the pdf.
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #22

Royal purple FTW!
rubioTSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #23
Supercharged 07AV6

Rp
7thgencordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #24

Over the past few years, I have tried most types of Synthetic oil,
My favorite being Castrol Syntec, As I am still under warranty I still use 5W20,
Once out, I will move to Motul 5W40, which is by far my favorite oil.
It is all personal preference, Tho, I would never let conventional oil come close to my engine.
As for using different oil in summer and winter, that is false,
Oil nowadays is multi-viscosity, 5w40, 5 weight for when the engine is cold, allowing the oil to reach the top of the engine faster, and prevent wear, 40 weight for when the vehicle is at optimal running temperature, Just stick with the weight of oil you use durring the summer.
As for how long?
I only got 5000 Kilometers, or roughly 3000 miles, people say that synthetic oil can last longers, but they forget about the oil filter it self.
I personally use the Honda Oil filter, as I am under warranty, I will also continue after. I recommend using the Honda Filter. 15400plma02.

This is just my opinion, but i deal with Oil on a daily basis, I see the extremes a engine goes through, and i see how most people don't take care of their cars.
Just as long as you do your oil changes on time, and don't use crappy oil and filters, you should be fine.
J30sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #25

amsoil 5w-20. just switched over yesterday. definitely smoother!

honda freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #26
SC J32A3 Accord

I use Mobil 1 0w20 with Mobil 1 filter and change every 3-4k miles. I live in SoCal and my car's garaged so there's no need for 5w or 10w for cold starts. I might switch to 0w30 just as a precaution since my engine's getting up to about 50k miles with SC and HBP.
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #27
Saiken

trust me. Check the pdf I linked a few posts up. Out of all the Mobil1 synthetic oil weights 5w30 and 10w30 offer the greatest protection and have passed the most tests.

Im not sure about M1 vs Castrol vs Royal Purple, but for those using M1 I really really REALLY feel that 5w30 is the way to go. Check the PDF, you guys will see how many certifications 5w30 has versus the other oil weights.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #28

i use mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-20
andy2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #29

castrol syntec 5w-20. noone can touch walmarts 5qt price! oem filter' 3 for $15 at the dealer. anyone heard of AMSOIL? supposedly u can go a year without an oil change. i still wouldnt if they said i could.
mta1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #30

i have always used mobil 5w20 syn, works great for me
jdwilson4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in