2008 TL-S cams vs 2008 RL cams Differences? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
2008 TL-S cams vs 2008 RL cams Differences?

Hey just wondering if anyone has tried the 2008 Acura RL camshaft swap into their 2003 and up J-engine compared to the 2008 TL Type S camshafts? What are the differences with them if any besides price such as low cam lift & duration; high cam lift & duration?

Thanks
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing
 
nighthawk04v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,679
I might be wrong, but the TL and RL use the same engine, different transmission.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #3
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
well i have checked the part numbers for the 2008 RL and it is different from the 2008 TL Type S..that is why i was wondering.
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Sonnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,828
I think the RL cams have a slightly higher lift on the exhaust side but the TL-s cams are hollow and therefore, lighter. They talked about it over @ Acurazine. Supposedly Paul was saying the new 09 TL-s cams have .4mm higher lift than the 08s. That's all I know
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #5
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
I think the RL cams have a slightly higher lift on the exhaust side but the TL-s cams are hollow and therefore, lighter. They talked about it over @ Acurazine. Supposedly Paul was saying the new 09 TL-s cams have .4mm higher lift than the 08s. That's all I know
i do remember the 07-08 TL-S cams are hollow.. i think that the 09 TL-S has vtec on the intake and exhaust sides so it would not be compatible with the j30a4 heads
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #6
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
I think the RL cams have a slightly higher lift on the exhaust side but the TL-s cams are hollow and therefore, lighter. They talked about it over @ Acurazine. Supposedly Paul was saying the new 09 TL-s cams have .4mm higher lift than the 08s. That's all I know
The 09 cams are for a VCM engine and have completely different lobe arrangement and will not work and a 7th gen...
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Archangel72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Plantation, fl
Posts: 722
Paul, I know this has been answered, but then what are the major differences besides being hollow between the RL and TL-S cams that fit the 7th gen?
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #8
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
Paul, I know this has been answered, but then what are the major differences besides being hollow between the RL and TL-S cams that fit the 7th gen?
I have done additional research and confirmed the RL camshafts have 5 degrees more duration than the 07-08 TL Type S camshafts...I still do not know if the RL camshafts are hollow as well.....

I can imagine how great it would be to have hollow RL cams!!!

However i am looking for comparative specs between The 07-08 Type S cams and the 2006+ RL cams.

(I checked various sites the 08+ v6 6 speed accords have the same part number for the camshafts as the 07-08 TL Type S for half the price??!!!)
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Archangel72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Plantation, fl
Posts: 722
Thats great, although I know the cams are not hollow. Wonder how much of a difference they would make.
Jrow89 likes this.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
I would like to know the gains of the hollow TL-S cams vs the gains from the RL cams maybe the lightweight hollow camshafts will give smoother, free revving, more usable powerband and may be more effective than the minimal gain of the RL cams....(Ouch my brain is burning! lol)
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #11
Boomdiada
 
Swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern WI
Posts: 52
Send a message via AIM to Swift
I am sure you could just hollow them out, but then again there is a reason they didn't do it in the first place.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM   #12
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
bump
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #13
Registered User
 
sinfulj32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 87
does anyone know if the 08 tl-s or rl heads can mate to j32a3 or 7th gen accord block?
sinfulj32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #14
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulj32 View Post
does anyone know if the 08 tl-s or rl heads can mate to j32a3 or 7th gen accord block?
i believe the 08 Tl-S heads are indentical casting to the accords..correct me if im wrong..However im not sure of the RL heads
__________________
Goin back to the Track!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM   #15
Registered User
 
sinfulj32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanob247 View Post

(I checked various sites the 08+ v6 6 speed accords have the same part number for the camshafts as the 07-08 TL Type S for half the price??!!!)
tl-s
1 14100-RDB-A00 CAMSHAFT, FR. 1 2007 TL 191.95 143.96
2 14200-RDB-A00 CAMSHAFT, RR. 1 2007 TL 191.95 143.96

08+ v6 6 spd accord
14100-R72-A00 2 CAMSHAFT, FR. USA 1 $ 107.85 $ 78.95
14200-R72-A00 4 CAMSHAFT, RR. USA 1 $ 107.85 $ 78.95

these are clearly different. now, does anybody know the specs of the 08+ v6 6 spd accord cams?
sinfulj32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #16
Registered User
 
sinfulj32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 87
or does anyone know if 09 tl cams are possible?
sinfulj32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #17
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulj32 View Post
tl-s
1 14100-RDB-A00 CAMSHAFT, FR. 1 2007 TL 191.95 143.96
2 14200-RDB-A00 CAMSHAFT, RR. 1 2007 TL 191.95 143.96

08+ v6 6 spd accord
14100-R72-A00 2 CAMSHAFT, FR. USA 1 $ 107.85 $ 78.95
14200-R72-A00 4 CAMSHAFT, RR. USA 1 $ 107.85 $ 78.95

these are clearly different. now, does anybody know the specs of the 08+ v6 6 spd accord cams?

i believe the different letters you are referring to are the chassis codes...
__________________
Goin back to the Track!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #18
TrakCord
 
AccordingLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulj32 View Post
or does anyone know if 09 tl cams are possible?
doubt it because the new 3.7L engines have VTEC on intake and exhaust
__________________
Goin back to the Track!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AccordingLO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #19
Registered User
 
sinfulj32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanob247 View Post
i believe the different letters you are referring to are the chassis codes...
ahh, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanob247 View Post
doubt it because the new 3.7L engines have VTEC on intake and exhaust
i see, i didnt know it was dual cam.
sinfulj32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #20
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,438
You should hit up P2R, they can make you some better cams than either of these to increase ur potential
cls6speednupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #21
Registered User
 
sinfulj32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 87
^anyone ever get a quote for p2r cams?
sinfulj32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #22
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulj32 View Post
^anyone ever get a quote for p2r cams?
They would be custom made to fit whatever your trying to do so the price would be based on your personal neeed.
cls6speednupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #23
NSX dreamer
 
Artistotle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulj32 View Post
ahh, my bad.



i see, i didnt know it was dual cam.
it's not dual cam you noob. its SOHC. 2 cylinder heads= 2 cams total. just like all other J engines.

its like you didnt read anything in the thread. NVA-AV6 clearly said that the 09 TL uses an VCM engine (like the 08+ accords) and as such its cams are NOT compatible.
__________________
My 2013 For sale thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Artistotle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #24
newbies here!
 
MickAv6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: quebec
Posts: 455
Accord 08 6 speeds don't have VCM !! automatic have VCM
MickAv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CHARLOTTE
Posts: 177
hello everybody i am new to the form and i have to post 10 thing before i can start a thread so i just wanted to say wats up everybody.i am a member of acurazine and yes i have an acura tl but when you guys see my pic it does not look like one.i joined this form bc az kind off sucks and everybody is always bashing other peoples stuff so i hope you guys dont.

hendrick honda, charlotte, justin, 704 746 8429

2004 mugen tl
aem v2 cai
intake plentom spacer
ported and polished intake runners
pre cat delets
j pipe
tl type s cat back
ur under drive pully
coolant bye pass modification
samco racing coolant hoses

260 fwhp

oooooooo and a bad trans
JS_MUGEN_TL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CHARLOTTE
Posts: 177
Camshaft-timing belt
04 tl to 06 tl autos and 6 speeds 07 tl to 08 tl auto
1 14100-rca-a10 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rca-a10 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
07 tls 6 speed 08 tls 6 speed
1 14100-rdb-a00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rdb-a00 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
01 mdx 02 mdx
1 14100-p8e-l00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-p8e-l00 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt same as 04 to 08 tl autos 04 to 06 tl 6 speeds
03 mdx 04 mdx 05 mdx 06 mdx
1 14100-rca-a10 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rca-a10 camshaft, rr.
07 mdx 08 mdx 09 mdx
1 14100-rye-a00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rye-a01 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
05 rl
1 14100-rja-000 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rja-000 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
06 rl 07 rl 08 rl
1 14100-rja-j00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rja-j00 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
09 rl
15 14100-rkg-010 camshaft, fr.
16 14200-rkg-010 camshaft, rr.
JS_MUGEN_TL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CHARLOTTE
Posts: 177
i have been doin lots off reaseach lately for the acura modals and i guess i will be doing some for honda now since i love this form so much more that acurazine
3.0UALLKNOW likes this.
JS_MUGEN_TL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM   #28
J35 Honda Saber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 45
Send a message via AIM to adamlee05
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_MUGEN_TL View Post
Camshaft-timing belt
04 tl to 06 tl autos and 6 speeds 07 tl to 08 tl auto
1 14100-rca-a10 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rca-a10 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
07 tls 6 speed 08 tls 6 speed
1 14100-rdb-a00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rdb-a00 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
01 mdx 02 mdx
1 14100-p8e-l00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-p8e-l00 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt same as 04 to 08 tl autos 04 to 06 tl 6 speeds
03 mdx 04 mdx 05 mdx 06 mdx
1 14100-rca-a10 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rca-a10 camshaft, rr.
07 mdx 08 mdx 09 mdx
1 14100-rye-a00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rye-a01 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
05 rl
1 14100-rja-000 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rja-000 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
06 rl 07 rl 08 rl
1 14100-rja-j00 camshaft, fr.
2 14200-rja-j00 camshaft, rr.
Camshaft-timing belt
09 rl
15 14100-rkg-010 camshaft, fr.
16 14200-rkg-010 camshaft, rr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_MUGEN_TL View Post
hello everybody i am new to the form and i have to post 10 thing before i can start a thread so i just wanted to say wats up everybody.i am a member of acurazine and yes i have an acura tl but when you guys see my pic it does not look like one.i joined this form bc az kind off sucks and everybody is always bashing other peoples stuff so i hope you guys dont.

hendrick honda, charlotte, justin, 704 746 8429

2004 mugen tl
aem v2 cai
intake plentom spacer
ported and polished intake runners
pre cat delets
j pipe
tl type s cat back
ur under drive pully
coolant bye pass modification
samco racing coolant hoses

260 fwhp

oooooooo and a bad trans
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_MUGEN_TL View Post
i have been doin lots off reaseach lately for the acura modals and i guess i will be doing some for honda now since i love this form so much more that acurazine
What is all this garbage?
adamlee05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 652
Bump, what is new with the cams now days. What is the best?
DCdonDubby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #30
got LSD J36TT??
 
tenzingsherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The middle of nowhere, PA
Posts: 1,369
^custom bishimito cams. bishimito regrind cams are good too but not near as reliable as custom.
__________________
LSD 6-SPEED,Forged & Sleeved J36 MOTOR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


(SNAILS ARE IN!!!, Smalser TWIN TURBO build UNDERWAY)

Like me at--->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors:
Mishimoto
Power Rev Racing
Racinx.com
Airtekk
Advanced Keys
tenzingsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On