Pro Cat Delete Question - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1

Pre Cat Delete Question

I was wondering what are the pros and cons of the pro cat deletes? I have been reading around on these but there isnt too much info on them. Do they smell? I don't have to worry about passing inspection cause I have a friend who is a tech at honda. I have a J33 auto with v2 intake, lightweight pulley, xlr8 j-pipe, test pipe, borla exhaust. I just dont want to lose any torque below 3k rpms. Can someone please give me some advice. Thanks

Last edited by worldon1finger; April 19th, 2009 at 02:56 PM..
worldon1finger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #2

Ive got em and the only negative thing i can say about them is that the gaskets dont seal completely so there is a bit of an exhaust leak. Its not the quality of the precats or their construction, its the quality of the gaskets.
Stevo405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #3

I can always get better gaskets. Do they hurt torque?

Old April 18th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #4

which deletes are you talking about? i'm in the market also. If ur worried about losing torque, just force induction
ahhhz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #5

The top two cats. I cant do forced induction cause I am a auto. My tranny will die. Look at all I have done to the car to begin with. If I do supercharger I will kill the tranny. I would love to go forced but cant.
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #6

Just checking, are you talking about the pro-cats product or a pre-cat delete?
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7

i meant what brand of deletes? richie's is out of stock!

and with your extensive list of mods you could easily get the tranny cooler for FI
ahhhz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #8
- Leo

I have richies precats, jpipe and test pipe. You will definitely lose torque but just before 3k, after that is where the gains come into play. You will also have bad smell and if you car is light colored like mine (silver) it will even leave brown stains on the bumper. Unfortunately the gaskets as mentioned, do leak even though they are OEM honda gaskets, so i dont know what you would get instead of them.
03_AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #9

The OEM gaskets dont leak on mine. The gaskets between the precats and j-pipe are the ones that leak. I am thinking about trying to find someone to make some with the crush ring in the middle for a better seal.
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_AV6 View Post
I have richies precats, jpipe and test pipe. You will definitely lose torque but just before 3k, after that is where the gains come into play. You will also have bad smell and if you car is light colored like mine (silver) it will even leave brown stains on the bumper. Unfortunately the gaskets as mentioned, do leak even though they are OEM honda gaskets, so i dont know what you would get instead of them.
You should take your car to sac raceway and get some times! Im interested to see what youre running
nOrcaL7thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #11

So what does everyone think I should do? Should I get them once they are back in stock and find someone who can make good gaskets? How much does this sell for? I am just afraid that my car will sound raspy with these on it.
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #12

The raspiness usually comes from not having any resonators, cats, and/or the type of muffler you are using. Do your tires break lose during daily driving? With the amount of torque you may have you might benifit from it. Also your engine is producing so much more power that it may not effect you the way it effected 03 av6.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #13
- Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOrcaL7thgen View Post
You should take your car to sac raceway and get some times! Im interested to see what youre running
Yea i know its been something i wanted to do for a long time now. I FINALLY got motor mounts so i can launch the car. Only problem is my 2nd gear synchros are going out so slamming gears at top rpms gets really hard and pops out some times. But ill still definitely go one of these days. Would you be down to go one of these days too? Ill PM you if i go.
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #14
- Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
The raspiness usually comes from not having any resonators, cats, and/or the type of muffler you are using. Do your tires break lose during daily driving? With the amount of torque you may have you might benifit from it. Also your engine is producing so much more power that it may not effect you the way it effected 03 av6.
I wouldnt say it affected me any more than anyone else with precat deletes. The fact is, you will lose low end torque up to 3k rpm. I read reviews here on V6P and acurazine, everyone loses it. Its not that bad, but definitely noticeable.
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
I wouldnt say it affected me any more than anyone else with precat deletes. The fact is, you will lose low end torque up to 3k rpm. I read reviews here on V6P and acurazine, everyone loses it. Its not that bad, but definitely noticeable.
Just launch at 3.5krpms and that solves the problem
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #16
- Leo

trust me, even launching at 2k rpm i spin all of first and half of second gear, but i give credit to my crappy tires and negative camber for that.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
Well my tires break loose from a dead stop all the way through first. I am a auto. If I punch it at 15mph just some churp then they go. They are brand new though. About 4000 miles on them. I have the borla cat back exhaust, xlr8 j-pipe, test pipe. Do you think I will get raspiness? I dont want any raspiness. The car sounds great as is.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #18
- Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldon1finger View Post
Well my tires break loose from a dead stop all the way through first. I am a auto. If I punch it at 15mph just some churp then they go. They are brand new though. About 4000 miles on them. I have the borla cat back exhaust, xlr8 j-pipe, test pipe. Do you think I will get raspiness? I dont want any raspiness. The car sounds great as is.
As mentioned before, you probably will get raspiness and slight increase in volume. I personally liked the increase on my magnaflow catback and the raspiness sounds kinda cool imo. But i guess its about your own preference and since you have a different exhaust setup, yours might or might not rasp or be much louder like mine was.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #19

does anyone have videos posted of the sounds? That way I can decide what way im gonna go.
Thanks
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #20
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
trust me, even launching at 2k rpm i spin all of first and half of second gear, but i give credit to my crappy tires and negative camber for that.
I'm just playin', the only mod you have on me is the pre-cat deletes...I can't hook up for sh** either, but I attribute a lot of that to my horrible tires (drive a lot for work, need a tire that gets some mileage).
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #21

Your car isnt going to be raspy. The only difference between our setups would be the xlr8 j-pipe and i doubt that alone would add a raspy sound. but yeah, you will lose some torque, but the couple of extra ponies up top will make up for it.
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #22

If you do get some rasp, just throw an AR25 resonator in there and that should take care of it. You have the Borla which is quiet from what I hear, so you probably will be okay with the rasp. I really wanna feel the difference with the Precat deletes, I just don't want to lose any torque. I love the torque compared to my 2.3L 6th gen 4cyl 5spd

Stevo how was the increase in top end? I've heard nothing but great things, I would love to see for myself but I really don't want to lose any torque.

All I know is that the CL-s makes like 20whp from headers, which are basically the Precats for us, and since the engines are very similar, I'd assume similar power..when coupled with a full exhaust of course. The more I read the more I realize the potential of the J series. With a high CR and some aggressive cams, the 7th gen could be a beast as Brett already knows. :cough: 6MT swap :cough: Lol.

Last edited by Sonnick; April 19th, 2009 at 09:51 PM..
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo405 View Post
Your car isnt going to be raspy. The only difference between our setups would be the xlr8 j-pipe and i doubt that alone would add a raspy sound. but yeah, you will lose some torque, but the couple of extra ponies up top will make up for it.
Is that dyno poven loss of torque because I know sometimes if ya get a lot of help up top but none below it feels like you lose low end torque but it just feels that way because of the new difference
03Accord EX-L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #24

^^Hmm that's a good point. I know a member on Acurazine dyno'd 20whp more with the deletes on his AUTO 07-08 TL-s but I didn't compare dynos to see if any torque was actually lost so who knows? He has just about every bolt on, so slappin' em on with stock exhaust/jpipe won't yield 20whp. I'd assume with an exhaust and one of the 3 Jpipes you should see about 12-15whp from the PC deletes.
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
If you do get some rasp, just throw an AR25 resonator in there and that should take care of it. You have the Borla which is quiet from what I hear, so you probably will be okay with the rasp. I really wanna feel the difference with the Precat deletes, I just don't want to lose any torque. I love the torque compared to my 2.3L 6th gen 4cyl 5spd

Stevo how was the increase in top end? I've heard nothing but great things, I would love to see for myself but I really don't want to lose any torque.

All I know is that the CL-s makes like 20whp from headers, which are basically the Precats for us, and since the engines are very similar, I'd assume similar power..when coupled with a full exhaust of course. The more I read the more I realize the potential of the J series. With a high CR and some aggressive cams, the 7th gen could be a beast as Brett already knows. :cough: 6MT swap :cough: Lol.
I would love to do a 6speed swap but cant drive it on a daily basis. I have really bad knees. I'm only 23 and have many issues with my knees. Can someone post up a video with sound so I can hear what it sounds like? Thanks
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldon1finger View Post
I would love to do a 6speed swap but cant drive it on a daily basis. I have really bad knees. I'm only 23 and have many issues with my knees. Can someone post up a video with sound so I can hear what it sounds like? Thanks
Oh true, didn't know that sorry man.

There are a few videos over @ Azine with the PC deletes. Richie has one on here too, his car sounds great. I'd find em right now but I got a 40 page single spaced capping paper due tomorrow !

Nevermind I had it in my Favorites lol. Here ya go.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=MVI_1439.flv
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #27

^ Thats ok. My right knee is out of alignment by 45 degrees and my left knee and ankle always pop out. I'm falling apart. And I have no idea why they are like that.

Good luck with that paper. If anyone finds any videos please let me know. I look but still cant find. I'm probably looking in all of the wrong places. My luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in