Resonator and Pre-muffler removal... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:02 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to dsuraci
Resonator and Pre-muffler removal...

I know this has been discussed before, but I never could find the answer. The pre-muffler has a "hanger" on it, has ayone that removed both components with a custom straight pipe and still used that mount point (had a piece welded on)? I was not sure if there was a need for that mount for support purposes. Also, has everyone that has completed this mod been happy with the sound and performance increase (if any)?

Thanks in advance!

Satin Silver Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dsuraci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #2

No one has any thoughts?!

Satin Silver Metallic

Old January 4th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #3
shady mofo

when i had mine done they welded on a hanger just so that there's no extra stress on the piping...anyway, i think it def. sounds a lot better than stock, more like the 350Zish type sound, but performance i couldn't notice anything

--hoop

edit>> save ur money and just get magnaflow or borla that way you know you're gettin gains and it'll definitely sound different!

*neuspeed race springs||neuspeed short shift||SPC rear camber kit||
||15% tint all around||k&n filter||shaved rear end||yoko avs es100||
||custom powdercoated wheels||aem cai||custom flomaster exhaust
i'm a ferrari driver trapped in a honda owners body...
IIHOOPII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 4th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #4
NXceptionalAcCoRd

Yeah I agree about the 350zish/G35ish sound, but it also depends on the mufflers you get, get good ones, I went with borla and am not at all disappointed! The custom work and mufflers are a lot cheaper than a brand name cat system which would not even give you any hp gains. Check out my page.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/j30a4_h_inspire
bda$$accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #5
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
i had mine both cut off with straight pipe welded in place for $20! i think that's the lowest price anyone on here has paid so far (other than free work of course), and if you can get it done for close to that, then go for it. it does improve the sound, but not a tremendous amount. my cai is waaay louder than the exhaust.
Old January 4th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #6
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
Had mine removed and the sound increased a bit. More of a deep mellow sound. No real performance gains.
Had the catalytic removed weeks later and sound became deeper. Performance wise, didnt gain any low end but top end is a definate. Just waiting on the J Pipe to be released to complete the setup.
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 5th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #7
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

I had the pre-muff removed (but not the resonator), and I had them put a hanger bar on the straight pipe so it would help support the remainder of the system.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the input!!! If I get that done for under $40, I would be happy! Save some weight and get a better exhaust tone!

Satin Silver Metallic

Old January 5th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #9
fonda my honda

oh yah, i forgot about how much those 2 cans weigh! it is a weight saver to have them removed for sure. just be sure to keep them incase you need to have 'em put back on for some reason (like selling the car).
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:05 PM   #10

Sorry for ressurecting the old thread but can someone post a pic showing which parts should be removed?
herzzreh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:02 PM   #11
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Im looking at having this done (resonator and premuffler removed), then an exhaust later down the road. Not nessisarily for performance gains, but maybe a little more sound running through the stock mufflers.

My question to those who have it done already is this- Once you had them removed, do you have any droning effects or anything negative like that? Especially on the interstate, I do alot of long trips, and droning would drive me nuts. More sound is fine.
Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:16 PM   #12
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

I had my pre-muffler removed, but not the resonator, and there is a hint of resonance around 2000 rpm. Not much though...... my wife didn't even notice it, it's that slight.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:02 PM   #13
fonda my honda

the highway droning is not an issue. i've had no problems with exhaust noise.
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in