turbo or BLOWER - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:14 PM  
DAT Dewd from Dallas MANG

Question turbo or BLOWER

on a AV6 should I look into supercharger or a turbocharger?
Dose any recommend a specific setup?
Any selling one for cheap?
What should I look out for?
What kind of gains could I get.......
bdbconcepts is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM  

instead of making a bunch of different threads search a little and then make one thread.....supercharger is the easiest thing to go with and prolly cheapest but not quite sure about that.
03Accord EX-L is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM  
hmmm what next?

^ no most expensive up front 4.5K vs 2-3K hmm turbo cheaper and more power if dont correctly
shonda1989 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM  

I was referring to pauls eventual M90 build for price....the comptech kit is just way over priced....how is a turbo kit only 2-3k. Dont you need all that custom exhaust/intake piping.
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:22 AM  
J35 Honda Saber

Send a message via AIM to adamlee05
exhaust and intake piping is relatively simple given you know the right people to help you out. Having a well balance setup with correct tuning is the difficult part. Also a good quality turbo for a 3.0L+ is probably starting in the GT30 range, which isn't cheap.

However since there is no mainstream methods of turbo-ing the J-series (everyones is always different), creating a setup ALWAYS ends up overpriced. IMO, if you're unsure which way to go and are basing it on price alone, you aren't ready for this kind of upgrade. No offence
adamlee05 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM  

i've heard of custom turbo jobs going in the $10,000+ range. on the other hand, i wouldn't hold my breath waitn for the m90 build... and who knows how much cheaper it will really be. if you want a boosted j, ur gonna have to pay. thats what i say... I'm off to eat some hay by the bay
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM  

turbo will def be more expensive just because theirs no kits for our engines, however blowers can be found out there, and they aren't as expensive, you just have to search around.
inspire1318 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM  

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
supercharge it.. its more simple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chiefy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM  

Send a message via AIM to SweetMt6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhz View Post
i've heard of custom turbo jobs going in the $10,000+ range. on the other hand, i wouldn't hold my breath waitn for the m90 build... and who knows how much cheaper it will really be. if you want a boosted j, ur gonna have to pay. thats what i say... I'm off to eat some hay by the bay
Watja say...?
SweetMt6speed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM  
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Quote:
I'll hold my breath (as should anyone) for one of, if not the, smartest person i've ever met regarding the J series engines to finish that build. I agree anyone looking to boost their car for cheap not hold their breath, cause thats just not a good ocmbo or a reasonable expectation.
05AV6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM  
hmmm what next?

after pricingeverythig out i can do a turbo for easily 2.5Kish range and that is with a head swap and single turbo!
shonda1989 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM  

but is that with you or a ver close friend that wont charge you labor for doing all the exhaust and what not. There are turbo kits out there for the k24 for 5.5k
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM  
Adventure is out there!

Send a message via AIM to littletruong
Quote:
I would hold my breath on the m90 build, as with my turbo build as well. I got the best man i know working on it and would not have it any other way. And yes, if you want to play, you got to pay. I'm not gonna say how much i've spent, but you know what? it will be worth when all is said and done. Oh and it will be on a FULLY BUILT 3.7 too.. nothing is impossible. If you got the determination, want, and a mad genius, you're good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

littletruong is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletruong View Post
I would hold my breath on the m90 build, as with my turbo build as well. I got the best man i know working on it and would not have it any other way. And yes, if you want to play, you got to pay. I'm not gonna say how much i've spent, but you know what? it will be worth when all is said and done.
Yeah you definetly got to pay to play but man after your first one blew I think youve PAID A LOT to play lol I cant wait for some updates on your car man its going to be SICK
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:51 PM  
Adventure is out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Accord EX-L View Post
Yeah you definetly got to pay to play but man after your first one blew I think youve PAID A LOT to play lol I cant wait for some updates on your car man its going to be SICK
Yes i have, it was very discouraging after that, but you work through it. With the encouragement and help from family(s) and friends. You keep your head up and know that things will get better.

Custom will always be expensive...
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:20 AM  

But custom is the way to go if your planning to put down 500-700 whp like you are....in the end you get what you paid for and once you get the car all finished and get to drive it around and see the look on peoples faces I think it will be well worth it.
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:38 AM  
SSM_AV6-6

Turbo for all out power gains, anything over 400 whp for sure. Supercharger for a daily driven car.
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:42 AM  

well put I would agree
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:15 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Accord EX-L View Post
and get to drive it around and see the look on peoples faces I think it will be well worth it.
I admit, the wetness factor of blowing minds is pretty powerful... why is that? super primal
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM  

Question MisunderstoodZ

I think everybody misunderstood me...I have 3 to 5 K to spend and was wondering which was the best?
I want to daily drive and everybody seems to agree on the supercharger...
Does it give you enough just by installing or do you have to run smaller pulleys or intercoolers?
Also I am automatic so I think the turbo would prolly fry my tranny quick?
I would love to do a manual swazp....shoudl I do that firsta and then turbo?
And on turbo setup does everybody just relocate battery and put the turbo to battery spot?
I think turbo would be easier to fabricate than most people think.I have a plasma cutter and was thinking to use some flanges from some old pre-cats I have and make the piping for the exhaust going to the turbo.
What size turbo?
What size exhaust piping?
Also I wont turbo unless I swap tranny's (I have been thru 5+ plus trannies)
Thanks for all the answerz fellas....

Last edited by bdbconcepts; April 29th, 2009 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:49 AM  
AccordingToSean

Send a message via AIM to AccordingToSean
Hence the reason why to opt for a car with broad aftermarkets. It really kills to have to go through such hassle with the accord, having so many restrictions. Here i come 2010 camaro SS, 500WHP /w bolt ons. n blower kits will be out pretty much instantly eventually pilling up to a page long list of companies to choose from.
AccordingToSean is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM  

Have you read the thread with the engine rebuilds? Not sure if your interested but with that amount of money, you could have Paul build you an engine. With that amount of money, you can have a fully bult j33, tuned, and not have to worry about changing your tranny.
Archangel72 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM  
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Yes i have, it was very discouraging after that, but you work through it. With the encouragement and help from family(s) and friends. You keep your head up and know that things will get better.

Custom will always be expensive...
Glad you're still keeping your head up, Alex. Still waiting eagerly to see the beast when it's all done. Free photoshoot on me when it's back home in AZ.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM  
Adventure is out there!

Um i wouldn't do anything over NA bolt ons for the auto tranny.. you're just gonna tear that to pieces in less than a month with any of Paul's build, let alone a s/c or turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Glad you're still keeping your head up, Alex. Still waiting eagerly to see the beast when it's all done. Free photoshoot on me when it's back home in AZ.
Thanks man! You'll be one of the first to see it i'm assuming!
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM  
cunning linguist

Quote:
Oh and it will be on a FULLY BUILT 3.7 too.. nothing is impossible. If you got the determination, want, and a mad genius, you're good to go.
Haha, I can't help but quote it...

Dom: You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?

Dom: Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.

And weren't piston rings actually on your (rather extensive) list of parts casualties the last time?

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
MorePower4me is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM  

okay so...with all the answer about trannies...should I attempt a swap or give up?
Can I do a swap simply by changing tcm computers ,axles,pedal cluster,and shifter linkage,and tranny?or do I have to make holes for the tranny mounts?Has anyone done this swap?
Thanks guyz........
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM  

give up!
ahhhz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM  
Adventure is out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me View Post
Haha, I can't help but quote it...

Dom: You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?

Dom: Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.

And weren't piston rings actually on your (rather extensive) list of parts casualties the last time?

lol yes it was but they weren't fried last time, they were completely shattered!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbconcepts View Post
okay so...with all the answer about trannies...should I attempt a swap or give up?
Can I do a swap simply by changing tcm computers ,axles,pedal cluster,and shifter linkage,and tranny?or do I have to make holes for the tranny mounts?Has anyone done this swap?
Thanks guyz........
PM NVA-AV6 for all your questions, WANTS, and NEEDS.

Quote:
give up!
now now, just because you have a s/c doesn't mean someone else can't. Let's not discourage him. I'm sure he wants a fast car just as much as you did before you s/c yours.

But being that you are AT, its gonna be very discouraging too.. The AT tranny couldn't even withstand the torque from the J33 that Paul built.. so you're gonna need to swap out the tranny. You can find good deals, just got to search, but like i said PM NVA-AV6, he'll help you with all your needs if you really want it.
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM  

Does anyone know if one of Dr. Evil's AT would be able to withstand the power for a built motor with s/c?
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM  

Quote:

now now, just because you have a s/c doesn't mean someone else can't. Let's not discourage him. I'm sure he wants a fast car just as much as you did before you s/c yours.
I only did it cuz i shopped around an bought a 6 spd to begin with. if it came to changing trannies i'd personaly go a different route than accord... if it's worth it to whoevers doin it then that's all that matters
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in