Thoughts and Opinions on Richies Pre-Cat deletes - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1

Richies Pre-Cat Deletes Thoughts and Opinions

Hey everyone what are your thoughts and opinions on richies pre-cat deletes? I have a J33 with all bolt ons. I was thinking to do the pre cat deletes but not sure if my car will smell bad and if so would it be worth it? Also would it be worth it to put the pre cat deletes in and then take off my test pipe an put the 3rd cat back on? How much of a gain am I looking at?

Thanks

Last edited by worldon1finger; May 7th, 2009 at 07:07 PM..
worldon1finger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
- Leo

Id say do it. I did all the bolt-ons there were for the accord and figured since there was nothing else ill do richies entire combo. It does smell, especially when standing at a light, but if your windows are closed, you probably wont even notice it. As for gains, its pretty notable but only top end, there is a small loss of torque before 3k rpm. Overall though a nice mod and i would recommend it if you have the money for it.
03_AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #3

what if I put a high flow 3rd cat on in conjunction with the pre cat deletes would that get rid of smell? How does it sound? do you have any videos?

Thanks

Last edited by worldon1finger; May 7th, 2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4

Any guestimate on power and torque increase I would get from this with my setup?
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #5
- Leo

I think there were some dynos done with the combo and if i recall correctly it was something like 15whp and 8wtq gain over stock, but im not 100% sure. As far as smell goes, i dont know if the high flow cat would be enough to get rid of the smell, i dont have any cats and it doesnt bother me. Only bad thing is my bumper turned brown/black from the carbon buildup. The sound is a preference thing and really depends on the catback you would be running. I have a magnaflow catback and i personally love the sound. Its kinda raspy but i like that, so again, its just about what type of exhaust sound/tone you like.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_AV6 View Post
I think there were some dynos done with the combo and if i recall correctly it was something like 15whp and 8wtq gain over stock, but im not 100% sure. As far as smell goes, i dont know if the high flow cat would be enough to get rid of the smell, i dont have any cats and it doesnt bother me. Only bad thing is my bumper turned brown/black from the carbon buildup. The sound is a preference thing and really depends on the catback you would be running. I have a magnaflow catback and i personally love the sound. Its kinda raspy but i like that, so again, its just about what type of exhaust sound/tone you like.
I have a borla catback. What about putting the stock 3rd cat back in or would that be a waste? My car is white and I dont want it to look burnt or smell horrible.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #7
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldon1finger View Post
what if I put a high flow 3rd cat on in conjunction with the pre cat deletes would that get rid of smell? How does it sound? do you have any videos?

Thanks
yes it will help ALOT. i have my procats hollowed out, but left the 3rd one alone.

i heard about some quality issues with the precat deletes, but richie is on top of it and making them thicker with stronger welds.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #8

So you say put my 3rd cat in? What if I hollowed out my stock cats (if so how hard is it to do?)
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #9

I'm on the fence about this too. I heard they are great, but there is a slight loss at low RPMs. However, from Richie's dyno, it doesn't seem like there was any drop in torque at all.

I'd say go for it. All the AZine guys rave about it, especially top end.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
I'm on the fence about this too. I heard they are great, but there is a slight loss at low RPMs. However, from Richie's dyno, it doesn't seem like there was any drop in torque at all.

I'd say go for it. All the AZine guys rave about it, especially top end.
Well then that kinda reinforces what I was thinking that there really isn't a low end torque loss it just feels that way because of all the crazy gain up top. Do you know where that dyno is?
03Accord EX-L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #11

Ok found the dyno and no there is no loss of torque in the low ends with the whole Richie set up (J-shift Pre Cat Deletes, JPipe, Test Pipe) So I think if you went pre cat deletes, j pipe, high flow cat it wont smell that bad because your still doing the majority of the filtering with the high flow cat and it also might help with the raspiness
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #12

Plus most cars have only one catalytic. It just so happens our cars have 3 to reduce emmissions. I'd say do it.
Archangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #13

I'm gonna do it. Just gotta wait for them to come in. Also gotta find a high flow cat thats not super expensive.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Carpe Diem

I was debating these as well. I decided not to since there's no way to pass emissions with them on. Screw having to take them off for emissions and then get them put back on later. That was the deal breaker for me. Plus I drive around with my windows down 99% of the time so no thanks on the nasty smell.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #15

Did you check the random technology website? Not sure if that is too expensive.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #16

Thats not bad. I just dont want a smell. What would be my best option or leave my car alone.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #17
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

You also need to think about getting an O2 sim so you aren't throwing a CEL the whole time you are running the pre-cats.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #18

I would get the high flow cat, and the 02 sim. It is my best guess that it will reduce the smell, not give you carbon build up, and not really affect performance. It would be no diffrent than a car with full headers to the high flow cat.
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #19

Sean- What's the difference with the pre-cats and just hollowing out the stock ones?

thanks...
-peter
nOrcaL7thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #20

Doesnt Richies kit come with the o2 sims? if not I can always pick them up.
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #21

When you hollow out your cats, you punch out the cells, but there is still a big empty chamber that affects the airflow. Pre-cat deletes are straight tubing replacing the chamber and the cells. It is much more effective. You would still feel a difference if you punch them out, but the tubing will yeild better gains. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel72 View Post
When you hollow out your cats, you punch out the cells, but there is still a big empty chamber that affects the airflow. Pre-cat deletes are straight tubing replacing the chamber and the cells. It is much more effective. You would still feel a difference if you punch them out, but the tubing will yeild better gains. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
If I get the j-pipe, i heard getting that and the pre-cat deletes will make you lose a lot of torque? Which one will yield you better gains? I hate the fact that i lost some low end with my exhaust. I dont wanna lose any more then that...i know the j-pipe gives you better low-mid torque..
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #23

You wont lose any torque with Richies set up.

ike: it depends on what type of emissions you have to go through....if you only have the sniffer pre cat deletes and a high flow cat you should be ok since our rear cat is the one that does most work anyways. The pre cats are just because they heat up really quickly. Also you probably wont have the nasty smell either.
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #24
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to sp45
i've had richies entire setup for a while and i it feels like u lose low end power to me,also my engine light comes on every once in a while but it goes away after a day of regular driving
sp45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp45 View Post
i've had richies entire setup for a while and i it feels like u lose low end power to me,also my engine light comes on every once in a while but it goes away after a day of regular driving
Well the dynos dont show any dip in torque and actually only increases. The old butt dyno can be deceptive at times
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #26
- Leo

You definitely do lose some low end torque for sure. I've had this combo for a few months now and it is a fact there is some loss, but its not that bad.
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #27
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOrcaL7thgen View Post
Sean- What's the difference with the pre-cats and just hollowing out the stock ones?

thanks...
-peter
well, getting the precat deletes would be the best bet. the plus side of hollowing the stock cats is they will pass visual and save you some big bucks on possible fines if you happened to get pulled over. smog tampering citations can run anywhere from 600-1000 here in cali
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #28

Your right there looks to be about a 1-2 TQ loss at 3.8k RPM but other then that it shows nothing but gains
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #29
- Leo

im not here to argue, im just here to answer a question. IMO it felt like the only torque loss was up to 3k rpm and everything above that was gains. You also have to keep in mind that a catback will make a big difference in terms of backpressure. So if that dyno was done with a stock catback, it would explain why there was less torque loss. Im running a full magnaflow catback with bigger piping than stock, like many other members, so perhaps thats why we feel that big drop in low end torque with the full Richies combo.
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_AV6 View Post
im not here to argue, im just here to answer a question. IMO it felt like the only torque loss was up to 3k rpm and everything above that was gains. You also have to keep in mind that a catback will make a big difference in terms of backpressure. So if that dyno was done with a stock catback, it would explain why there was less torque loss. Im running a full magnaflow catback with bigger piping than stock, like many other members, so perhaps thats why we feel that big drop in low end torque with the full Richies combo.
Yeah i love the sound of the exhaust but losing low end kinda sucks... jpipe gains torque so i think its better to stick with that. I RARELY wot so i rather keep the more practical low end. Im not gonna be in any serious races with my auto anyways..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in