Willwood BBK help!!!!!! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM  
Mr. B

Cool Willwood BBK help!!!!!!

Hey guys!

I read through the willwood bbk install posted for days and didnt have the guts to go through with it so I ended up paying for the install but ran into some bad luck.

The installer screwed me over. well, heres some background info: i needed spacers for my stock rims to fit and on the threads they said to measure from the rotors to the protusion so i did that along with the template from willwood that was posted and ended up gettin H&R 15mm spacers...which was more than i needed (i only needed 12mm)

so i gave the installer the spacers and the whole BBK kit to install, however, he said he had to put the spacers BEHIND the rotor for the caliper to fit...thats the first time me or any of my boys heard of this...but who knows we dont know much about cars...
bhavik721 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM  
Mr. B

so then he said go get another set of spacers but i couldnt get it in time so he put some thick a$$ nuts and used them as spacers and threw on my rims and as soon as i drove off my wheel flew off!!

I ended up towing my car to another tire shop and he said the install looked okay but i just needed new rims...so i ended up getting new rims (SUCKS!!) they werent great rims but they did fit the brakes but the tires stick out from the wheel well...it doesnt look good at all and it still looks like theres only 1mm of clearance from the caliper to the wheel...the rims look like really bad knock offs of the gram lights 57

so i wanted to know how you guys are getting your install to look so good with simple rims...and is it possible he used the spacers behind the rotors instead of the relocation brackets to cut corners?...we tried to see what was going on behind there but couldnt really see much and we dont know what to look for

sorry bout the double post...i pressed submit instead of preview

thanks for the help guys...
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM  

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
the installer is a ****!!! u dont put spacers behind the rotors. u put spacers between the rotors and rims and get extended studs! if u got H&R they sell it as a kit with the extended studs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chiefy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:03 AM  
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

:facepalm:
NVA-AV6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:28 AM  
Carpe Diem

Holy **** your wheel flew off?! That's ****ing dangerous. Call the shop that installed it and demand your money back at the very least. You could have been killed!
ikethegreat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:37 AM  
so JDM my blood's Type R

Sue the S*** out of the shop. You will end up getting the rims you want with the money you get
simdono6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:01 AM  
Mr. B

yea i talked to a lawyer and he said it might not be worth sueing for since the install was only 250 bucks fighting for that might not be a problem but then trying to get the lawyer fees paid for too...well we didnt talk to the lawyer directly thats what one of the associates said...

yea i bought him those exact spacers...but i cant seem to find out what he did with it?! its stressin me out...

from the picture it looks like the H&Rs come with extended lug nuts so im guesing he just used one of those spacers and threw it on the back...and then mounted everything on...cuz the brake calipers look way to far out...

im gonna try getting some pictures for you guys to see..
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM  
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik721 View Post
...thats the first time me or any of my boys heard of this...but who knows we dont know much about cars...
Why would you put on a BBK if you know that little about cars?

Be very careful with the BBK's, I've learned they require a lot of playing with and maintanance to work properly (and for a while.) There is a BIG difference between them and just adding drilled rotors/EBC pads.

The pistons don't have dust/dirt seals (assuming you have the 4 pots on the normal Wilwood kits) so every time you change pads you should very seriously consider rebuilding the calipers and changing the fluid, especially if you live in an area with crummy weather (then you should really consider doing it yearly.)

Its pretty cheap ($80-$90 for 2 calipers with new pistons) and simple to do yourself, but not many shops do it, and it would be more $$$, more time without your car.
If you had to pay to have the calipers removed, pay the $80 for the kit, then pay the shop to do it, it would get tiring REAL quick...

I know that doesn't help you much, but maybe it gives you the extra push to study the instructions a but more and do it yourself so that you know what your up against when the time comes.

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MorePower4me is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:16 AM  
Mr. B

these were the spacers i bought...from the same store too

http://www.optionimports.com/3065640-78.html

can anyone from NYC or westchester NY recommend a shop i can goto to fix this? cuz the installer swore he put the spacers on in the back and it doesnt look like he used extended lug nuts...

thanks for the input!!
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:16 AM  
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik721 View Post
yea i talked to a lawyer and he said it might not be worth sueing for since the install was only 250 bucks fighting for that might not be a problem but then trying to get the lawyer fees paid for too...well we didnt talk to the lawyer directly thats what one of the associates said...

yea i bought him those exact spacers...but i cant seem to find out what he did with it?! its stressin me out...

from the picture it looks like the H&Rs come with extended lug nuts so im guesing he just used one of those spacers and threw it on the back...and then mounted everything on...cuz the brake calipers look way to far out...

im gonna try getting some pictures for you guys to see..

Oh, I forgot, that small of clearance between the wheels and caliper should be OK on a decent wheel. A REALLY crappy one mayflex, and it could possibly flex into the caliper, but a lot of guys run really tight clearances. I had about a nickels worth of clearance on my kit, and I've seen the 350Z guys run as close as a dime's clearance.

But find out about those spacers... If installed properly they are a fine solution to let you use your old wheels.

-Brian-
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:24 AM  
Mr. B

yea i know i really shouldve asked around for more info, but i needed new brakes and everyone on here seemed to be doing just fine with this bbk so i thought i would try it out...modding is def addicting ...

alright so the new wheels should be good but the wheels are pushed way to far out while the back tires are somewhat flush..
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM  
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me View Post
Oh, I forgot, that small of clearance between the wheels and caliper should be OK on a decent wheel. A REALLY crappy one mayflex, and it could possibly flex into the caliper, but a lot of guys run really tight clearances. I had about a nickels worth of clearance on my kit, and I've seen the 350Z guys run as close as a dime's clearance.

But find out about those spacers... If installed properly they are a fine solution to let you use your old wheels.
I normally like to see 6mm (1/4") min clearence.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM  
7yr / 120K

Wow! I am speechless Please post some pics when you can.
Celestion is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM  
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
I normally like to see 6mm (1/4") min clearence.
Thats probably a pretty safe (conservative) rule of thumb.

Here is a NSX kit fitted by StopTech and this was about their absolute minimum clearance to still be considered 'safe'.

I wish I had a picture showing mine, but it was pretty close to this.

-Brian-
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM  
Mr. B

here are some pics...are there any NY ppl that know any good brake shops that can check this setup out for me? it also squeals when the car is rolling but not on acceleration or braking..it usually happens when im cruising at very low speeds or like when i slowly pull into my drive way..

here are the pics...it looks okay but it looks like there would be no way my old wheels would work and if they did it prolly would stick out wayyy too much

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM  

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
hit up comptechv6 and ask him for a shop in nyc
chiefy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM  

hey guy i had the same kit on my old accord so i can help you out...if you want you can bring me the car to check out..am in the bronx by city island...let me know...
tl2slow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM  

Don't let retards touch your car, find a good mechanic. The wheels don't look that bad.
1greek4u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM  

well guy i worked in a speed shop as an installer for 5 years before i moved to ny...i was just trying to help him out so he would spend anymore money or get ****ed again....1greek4u
tl2slow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM  
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2slow View Post
well guy i worked in a speed shop as an installer for 5 years before i moved to ny...i was just trying to help him out so he would spend anymore money or get ****ed again....1greek4u
I don't think the guy above you meant the retard thing at you (at least I hope so!) - I think he meant the OP's original mechanics.

Very nice offer, to you!

-Brian-
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM  
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me View Post
Thats probably a pretty safe (conservative) rule of thumb.

Here is a NSX kit fitted by StopTech and this was about their absolute minimum clearance to still be considered 'safe'.

I wish I had a picture showing mine, but it was pretty close to this.

That looks about 3mm, one good flex and it would not be pretty, I have seen better quality rims flex that far under extream conditions like autocrossing......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in