Accord V6 Forum banner

50 shot of nitrous?

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  jdwilson4 
#1 ·
has anyone installed nitrous on our cars.i know most people are against it here but im thinkning of going with a 50 wet shot.nothing to crazy.anyone with some intel can you please share some pros and cons to help me decide or guide me through it.
thanks!

#7 ·
i dont have internet at home and it took me like 30 minutes just to make this thread.so i thought it would be easier to make this thread so i can come straight to it when i get the chance.but thanks for the link
i installed but never used it. i have a brand new NX 10lb bottle and bottle heater if you want to buy, if you decide to go with nitrous
i'll let you know.pm me a price
Are you auto or stick?
6-speed..
My first 03 was a stick and I ran it up to 125hp WET not dry ( dry will go kabooommm trust me) I ran it like that for about 6 month and never hade any problems as far as engine problems ; It ran mid to low 12's on 20" cant say after that because It was totale by a truck on the freeway wile changing a flat tire , The new 03 is auto but I have notuse nos on it

hope these helps
thanks! should i do 5o wet?

#6 ·
My first 03 was a stick and I ran it up to 125hp WET not dry ( dry will go kabooommm trust me) I ran it like that for about 6 month and never hade any problems as far as engine problems ; It ran mid to low 12's on 20" cant say after that because It was totale by a truck on the freeway wile changing a flat tire , The new 03 is auto but I have notuse nos on it

hope these helps

#9 ·
I often think about adding a 50 shot once I have this car paid off totally and get another DD. I would make sure you get a window switch so it doesn't spray unless you are armed and go WOT, and it has a shutoff window of like 6500rpms so you don't overrev and blow up your engine (though nothing can help you if you misshift). That's from my very limited knowlege of nitrous. And thank you for calling it nitrous and not NOS :rofl4:

#11 ·
^ True, but many knowledgeable folks around here.
:)

50 shot wet should be no issues. You'll need a TPS switch because we are drive by wire, but add in a bottle heater and a FPSS and you will be + 50hp in no time.

#13 · (Edited)
There's been a couple of threads on it, some more useful then others, but I'll try and summerize a bunch of useful info here.
A couple basics.

*Kit types
A wet system adds fuel to the engine by taking excess fuel capacity directly from the fuel line and mixes/atomizes it with the nitrous in the nozzle (usually plumbed into your intake pipe after the MAF/etc but before the throttle body.)

For this to work properly, your fuel system needs to be able to support your engine without the N20, PLUS whatever HP you are adding. So adding a 200 shot with no fuel mods will make the engine run very lean (not that fuel would be the only problem!)

From what I have gathered from the various builds/SC threads, the stock fuel system should be fine with another 50-75hp via a wet shot, but I'd stop there unless you want to push it.

A dry system by contrast adds only N20, and relies on the engines intake air sensors to detect the much colder temps and add more fuel via the injectors. For this to work you need the same fuel system capacity I mentioned above, but also extra headroom in your injectors (AND a lot of faith in your engine sensors)... I consider this option infererior to the wet kits as most N20 guys do. They tend to be popular only because they are cheaper and much easier to install. Many 'cheater' style hidden kits are also dry.

*Install
The install itself isn't too bad but expect it to take most of the day if its your first one. This basic list isn't all encompasing, but I wanted you to get a basic idea of what needs to be done.

You'll need to do at least these steps:
*Change spark plugs to one step colder (and NO PLATINUM!)
*Mount bottle securely in your trunk (and doing so without drilling into your gas tank)
*Run blowdown tube from bottle into atmosphere
*Run SS N20 line from trunk to engine, attaching to solenoid
*Tap factory fuel line fitting and run SS line to fuel solenoid
*Attach FPSS
*Wire solenoids using newly wired underhood relays
*Run new power wire from your battery to your trunk (ideally through the inside of your car) for bottle heater (you can skip this if you an amp already)
*Set up bottle heater relay
*Run wire from N20 and Heater relay into passenger compartment for switch wiring
*Wire Heater and System activation switches
*Run wire from TPS switch to relay
*Calibrate TPS switch
*Misc

Then you can drive it and realize why the last 6 hours were completely worth it, but it is NOT the 'cheap' or 'easy' solution some people think it is.

*What to buy/Costs
As for parts, here is what I would do.

Buy a basic EFI N20 kit
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=14&model=134&dept=11&product_id=3215

Add the safety stuff
Heater
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=23&model=76&dept=11&product_id=2775

FPSS
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=24&model=95&dept=11&product_id=1618

Plugs (NGK TR6 is the favorite - 1 step colder)
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=26&model=101&dept=11&product_id=164

TPS switch
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=26&model=85&dept=11&product_id=352

(or this one, with built in window switch - but I have not confirmed it will work with our ignition... though it should)
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=26&model=86&dept=11&product_id=964

You can see that it adds up to a sizable amount. That doesn't include the bottle fill-ups either (expect about $4 a lb, so $20 for a 5lb bottle) though it will last a while on a 50 or 75 shot.

You'll notice I linked to an 'off brand' kit. For our purposes I think its fine.
If I were doing a 200 shot and using it every night to bracket/street race I'd have linked an NX kit. It's your money so decide what you like better, but many use the kit I link and love.
None of them however would have bought it over the NX had money not been an issue.

If you have gotten this far you now know more about N20 then most, and you no longer have ANY excuse for calling it 'NOS' (pronounced Nawws) - The real N20 guys laugh (hard) when they hear that. I know Paul Walker called it that, but shockingly he is not an authority on car parts (who knew, right?)

Lastly, this is not all inclusive, you should do research on your own. Half the fun of 'tuning' is learning how this stuff works. Don't let me steal half your fun by blindly leading you to do what I would do. Come back in this thread after you've researched the hell out of it and tell how I'm wrong because or X, Y, and Z. Then everybody gets that much smarter!

PM me if you have any other questions, or post them up here. I hope this helped.

#19 ·
Its the cheapest way to an extra 50-75hp, but there's still no free lunch.

If you need an extra 50-75hp on your DD its a fine choice (as good as any other) but if you don't, you don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.