Compare/Contrast: '07 6/6 Accord Coupe and '67 Firebird 400 Coupe - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #1

Compare/Contrast: '07 6/6 Accord Coupe and '67 Firebird 400 Coupe

A few days ago, I took my stock '07 V-6 6-spd Accord Coupe to Houston Raceway Park. I've been down this specific track more times than I can count, last estimate was at about 1,500 passes!

My previous "regular" street/strip, daily driven (for over a year, then retired it to weekend duty) car was a '67 Pontiac Firebird Coupe. It had a very streetable combination, with about 469 cubic inches (I know, more than double the Accord's!). Like the Accord, it was faster than people expected. Right before I sold it (divorce, several years ago) it ran an all-time best of 11.27 @ 119.6mph.

Like the Accord, I only used 93 octane pump gas. It also ran on radials (MT's, admittedly). One other unexpected parallel, is that both of them had a race weight of 3445#! I was really surprised to see the same race weight for the Accord as my old 'bird!

Here is the one BIG surprise, though - the Firebird's old manual front disc/rear drum brakes were WAAAAAAY better than the Accord's 4-wheel discs! I mean HOLY-SH!T better.

In the Firebird, it made several hundred stops from 113 to nearly 120mph, almost all of them at the 2nd turn-off. No shaking, shimmering, or fading.

The Accord, however, was having alot of trouble making the same turn-off at 93-95mph!!!!

I had heard the Accord's brakes were it's weak point, but I did not expect THAT much of a difference!

Are there some good pads/rotors that improve it any? Or am I going to have to go some sort of conversion???

thanks,
Lee
'72 Cutlass Convertible, 455, 4A, 4-wheel disc
'69 Falcon station wagon, 425" 351W, 4A, near 600hp
'65 Factory Five Cobra, efi 302, 5M
L n L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #2
wah?

Rotors and pads helped in my situation (shaking while under braking), I couldn't stop as fast because of all the shaking but after pad and rotor changes the difference was quite noticable.
Stainless lines and new brake(I use motul rbf600) fluid would definately help with the fading and feel.

you can join the groupbuy for larger rear rotors with relocation brackets if you want more braking capabilites in your rear.
neoryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoryan7 View Post
...you can join the groupbuy for larger rear rotors with relocation brackets if you want more braking capabilites in your rear.
Link to the group buy??

Thanks for the info, too.

Lee
'72 Cutlass Convertible, 455, 4A, 4-wheel disc
'69 Falcon station wagon, 425" 351W, 4A, near 600hp
'65 Factory Five Cobra, efi 302, 5M
L n L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 30th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #4
wah?

^ saw you found it. Sorry should have gave you a link earlier
neoryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #5

Yea the stock brakes are not the greatest. Apparently Paul (NVA-V6) has made a bracket where we can now use the RL and TL-s brakes, which are much better.

You are trapping 93-95mph in a 6 speed? Usually the 6spds trap 97-98 straight from the factory. Heat and humidity definitely have an impact though.
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in