A bit of a dillema, 5at or 6mt - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1

A bit of a dillema, 5at or 6mt

I have a 2006 accord ex-l v6 coupe with a 5at. It is black on black, and comes with performance wheels (oem 17inch alloys), front and back oem body kits and trunk spoiler. The car is at 28.6 k miles and is still under the extended warranty.

I was condering switching to a manual version of the car but I would lose all the body kits, wheels, etc. Do u guys think it is worth the transission? Should I stick with the 5at for future performance modding? Or will I be gaining alot more in the long run. Keep in mind I love this model and I am aiming for at Least a ten year lifespan of owning the vehicle. By the way awesome forum, you guys are a real inspiration.
absolutmp7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #2
enjoying j36 luv

why not just swap out the parts???
stillloco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #3

switch to the v6 6speed. youll eventually get the same mods
UCRk24accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to 99VTECCoupe
No one can decide but you. You're also going to be losing a lot of money by paying for tax+title on two vehicles within a short period of time, in addition to the initial depreciation you already paid for on your current car. It's much more than your mods.
99VTECCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #5
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
dude get the 6mt. the wheels u gonna switch out anyways. and u can just find another lip kit!!!
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
I <3 My J30A4

Depends on how much you find a 6 speed and how much you sell your car for. Maybe you loose out maybe not. I had the same dillema as u but i do not plan on keeping this car for 10 years probably another 3 or 4 at max. For performance the obvious is the 6 speed, but the auto can do ok as well i got my car tuned with a custom exhaust and richies j pipe unorthodox crank pulley, intake, thermoblock t/b spacers and a tune. I got 225 whp. I hope that helps if that amount of power would be suffice to you. If not go for the 6 speed and put the blower on cause god knows our auto can handle it but not for long lol.
qnzthg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #7
ADI
AdRiaN

If u plan on keeping it for that long go with a 6spd manual u will love ur car that much more

U are guna lose some money in the process of getting a new car but like u said u plan on keeping it for a long time so might as well love every year u own it, with a 6spd the mods u do will yield a lot more power then if they were done on the auto

And wheels, u can get new ones, lip kit same thing, or take the lip kit and wheels off b4 u trade it in or sell it and once u get the new ride swap them over

6spd manual > over bodykit/wheels IMO
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillloco View Post
why not just swap out the parts???
Is that possible even in the future?

Also can my auto transmission be able to hold up to some more torque and hp in the future if i were to put some bolt-ons let alone some more hardcore modifications?

The main problem is finding a accord with the manual. For one the dealers know that its rare and two the ones that are available aren't in the color styling i want. Not to mention I am afraid of some of these non honda dealers not having one certified or let alone being able to honor a decent amount for my trade in.

Any suggestions guys. Also this is my first time with a manual car and I live in the NYC area. Do you think having a manual will be a burden here?

thanks again to all of you, i really appreciate the assistance.
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #9

sorry to add but i tried looking on the site earlier and couldn't get an answer, which engine is the j33 and the j36?
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:58 AM   #10
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutmp7 View Post
sorry to add but i tried looking on the site earlier and couldn't get an answer, which engine is the j33 and the j36?
Custom build engines.

The auto tranny can handle bolt-ons but not much more then that. To swap your auto to a 6-speed your looking at 4-5k depending on what kind of deals you can find on the parts.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #11

UPDATE:

Well i found a couple of vehicles that are for sale, and some are offering decent prices which are included with my trade.

Now this car i am planning to mod will have to be a daily driver. I saw on one of the other threads that paul was recommending to one o the other auto drivers the j32 engine.Now my questions are

1- how much does the j33 produce without boltons, and how much does it cost. please state tq/hp.

2- also how much for a tl 3.5 motor swap, also with the tq/hp boost

3. finally does anyone know what the base dyno's for a stock v6 auto and 6speed manual 7th gen are?

Thanks again guys for already helping me out.
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #12

My advice would be if you're even contemplating between a 6speed and automatic you most likely want a 6 speed. Most likely if you get a automatic you're gonna end up like the countless people on here that regret it and pose the question of how much will it be to convert a auto to manual on top of all the other mods you wanna do.
Abailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #13

Hey there absolutmp7, I have the same car as you do (without the bodykit stuff).
Here is my take on your question:
You WILL lose money on the trade; even if you are trading a 5AT with lots of OEM goodies and only 20-30K miles on it for a somewhat beat-up 6MT with 50-60K. The fact is, when you are trading with a dealer, it's because you want what they have, so get ready for the a$$-poking.
The dealer wants your 5AT 7th. gen AV6 with low miles more than they want a 6MT, even though they will tell you just the opposite.
See, everybody on here (for the most part) is really into cars, so most of us will agree about the 6MT being the better option; but remember the dealer is dealing with a much wider range of people, and most of these people would rather have the 5AT.
If you like "shooting the dice", go for it; but just remember that even the slowest automatic can beat a busted&abused manual.
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Breed View Post
See, everybody on here (for the most part) is really into cars, so most of us will agree about the 6MT being the better option; but remember the dealer is dealing with a much wider range of people, and most of these people would rather have the 5AT.
If you like "shooting the dice", go for it; but just remember that even the slowest automatic can beat a busted&abused manual.
Lol what? I agree with 99% of what you said, but that last line threw me for a loop.

I was in the same boat as the OP, but I had an auto CL-S. I ended up trading it in with all the mods I put on it and got my 6mt and haven't looked back. Yeah I'm a bit more in the hole because of it, but the satisfaction of rowing through the gears everyday verses wondering if my auto tranny was going to make it through the day without dying WAY out-weighs the extra cash I owe. It didn't help that after I got my tranny replaced in the CL-S it just never felt the same. With the mods I put on it just freaked me out way too much to trust it would hold up.
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Lol what? I agree with 99% of what you said, but that last line threw me for a loop.

I was in the same boat as the OP, but I had an auto CL-S. I ended up trading it in with all the mods I put on it and got my 6mt and haven't looked back. Yeah I'm a bit more in the hole because of it, but the satisfaction of rowing through the gears everyday verses wondering if my auto tranny was going to make it through the day without dying WAY out-weighs the extra cash I owe. It didn't help that after I got my tranny replaced in the CL-S it just never felt the same. With the mods I put on it just freaked me out way too much to trust it would hold up.
I should have been more clear on that last statement of mine; what I meant is if the 6MT is a lemon, the 5AT will look like a rocket as it blows by you while you are sitting outside the garage waiting for your latest repair bill.
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #16
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutmp7 View Post
UPDATE:

Well i found a couple of vehicles that are for sale, and some are offering decent prices which are included with my trade.

Now this car i am planning to mod will have to be a daily driver. I saw on one of the other threads that paul was recommending to one o the other auto drivers the j32 engine.Now my questions are

1- how much does the j33 produce without boltons, and how much does it cost. please state tq/hp.

2- also how much for a tl 3.5 motor swap, also with the tq/hp boost

3. finally does anyone know what the base dyno's for a stock v6 auto and 6speed manual 7th gen are?

Thanks again guys for already helping me out.
J33 gets you about 250 to wheels with intake, exhaust and jpipe (thats with auto trany). how much, youd be looking around $4-5K

stock v6 auto dont know (guess about 190-200)?
stock v6 6spd dont know ether, didnt dyno my car but should be around 210HP to wheels, not sure about torque

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me if you have questions or pictures are missing from my threads (cleaned photobucket)
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in