Dr. Evil Auto Tranny - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM  

Dr. Evil Auto Tranny

Hey guys, if anyone with an autotragic was considering one of Paul's build, then this is definitly the solution for you. I conacted stacey jones at Dr. Evil, he told me that for a 3.6 liter 300whp and 280 atq accord without an lsd, would be about $2.8K. Its about another hundred if you want to add a tranny cooler(It helps, not really needed, but up to the descretion of the buyer). Just thought I'd share.
Archangel72 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM  
J35 6Spd

what about a 3.6 with supercharger! i wonder how much another 50-100 whp would change the price
Kschwiggy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM  

I didn't ask, but I'm sure they'll ask you questions, depending on power output and your intension, racing/daily/or both, they will make a descision. They were very nice and helpfull.

Old July 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM  

2.8k for an auto tranny rebuild?!
inspire1318 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM  

love that name "Dr Evil transmission" (pinky raised).
nadracer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspire1318 View Post
2.8k for an auto tranny rebuild?!
Well, rebuilds your tranny to hold on high output engines
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM  
Carpe Diem

This is really only a viable option if you don't DD your accord and can handle being without a tranny for several weeks OR if you have a spare tranny laying around to send them.

I assume the 2.8k didn't include shipping costs either which I sure will be astronomical.
ikethegreat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
This is really only a viable option if you don't DD your accord and can handle being without a tranny for several weeks OR if you have a spare tranny laying around to send them.

I assume the 2.8k didn't include shipping costs either which I sure will be astronomical.
Why wouldnt you want one if your a DD or were you strictly referring to the fact that you need to send him your transmission. Last I knew that price included shipping as well plus he only ships to businesses because its cheaper.
03Accord EX-L is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM  
hmmm what next?

the last time i talked to doctor evil transmission guy he told be it would die just as easily with boost as the regular transmission. not only that but dr evil changed sensors, 2 gears that are not much stronger and one other thing if i remember correctly. not worth it. why dont you buy another transmission and take it apart and go buy/machine all the parts to a stronger gauge. might cost you about 1.5k-2k and you know where to fix things when it dies again!
shonda1989 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM  

I take it you've had a bad experience with them... Is there anyone one this board that can attest to what shonda1989 is saying, besides pricey, i've never read that it was not a great product, not worth it?
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonda1989 View Post
the last time i talked to doctor evil transmission guy he told be it would die just as easily with boost as the regular transmission. not only that but dr evil changed sensors, 2 gears that are not much stronger and one other thing if i remember correctly. not worth it. why dont you buy another transmission and take it apart and go buy/machine all the parts to a stronger gauge. might cost you about 1.5k-2k and you know where to fix things when it dies again!
Man that sucks to here for all of us that cant drive manual....there really is no option for A/T and FI.....LAME, I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming about my auto sleeper J36 M90 supercharged accord with TL paddle shifter
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM  
hmmm what next?

i wasnt joking about taking the initiative and trying to rebuild the transmission with new stronger parts i would say the biggest thing would be cooling the gears down with jets. idk man i think the auto could be make more powerful just takes some work like everything else on the J series. go for it dude be a pioneer and learn some great info on the way!
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM  

you know that wouldnt be a half bad idea.....the one place where my car knowledge was the weakest was in transmissions. I know nothing about the innerworkings of an auto tranny. Off to the internet for more info
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM  
hmmm what next?

go for it man i will give you mine for a 6 spd manual :P hell i would help you because i wanna learn more about the autotragic trans
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM  

Actually the other day I had an opportunity to pick up a 6spd tranny for 75 at a junk yard lol
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM  
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
people on these boards have doctor evil 4 speeds in their 6th gens. but the cost is NOT 2.8k. its was right around $4,000 excluding shipping. this was for the maximum evil option and everything.

there was one bad experience on this website with dr.evil but the fastest 6th generation (serge aka 02av6) used the dr evil tranny to get a 12.89 with slicks.

It's nothing more than a super beefed up stock tranny. They didn't release many details and that kind of put people off. also the cost is VERY expensive if you consider used 6th gens go anywhere from 5-10k. and that tranny is 4k by itself.

but do a search. theres plenty of posts about dr.evil on this website
slowaccord is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM  

^ Thats what i'm saying, I've read several posts through the years both in 7th and 6th gen section, I have never heard of what shonda1989 was stating, I was just wondering if anyone else can say if this is tru or not. There was someone one here not too long abo that sold his 6th gen with a 3.2+sc swap, and a Dr. Evil tranny. The car ran strong from what I read.
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:55 AM  
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Accord EX-L View Post
Why wouldnt you want one if your a DD or were you strictly referring to the fact that you need to send him your transmission.
Yeah I was referring to the fact that you have to send him your tranny and so you wouldn't be able to drive.

I talked to Paul about doing this a while ago and if I remember correctly, he said that the Dr. Evil trannys were hit and miss. Some held up great while others failed. The price is just too high for me to take a chance like that.
ikethegreat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM  

that would suck if u spent about 3k to rebuild a tranny and it didnt work right, especially if you are like me and had to rely on the car to get around day to day lol
inspire1318 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM  
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Man that sucks to here for all of us that cant drive manual....there really is no option for A/T and FI.....LAME, I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming about my auto sleeper J36 M90 supercharged accord with TL paddle shifter
Why's that? You do realize there's a few of us supercharged 7th gen ATs right? I have a J32+SC and Nicepeta has J30+SC and TL paddle shifters. My car has about 98k miles now and 48k of that is SC'd. Still running strong on the one and only stock transmission. I even drove to Vegas and back in 113 degree temperature just the other week. And least to my knowledge, the other guys haven't had any transmission problems either.

IMO, the 7th gen ATs are pretty stout units as long as you take modest care of it, and by that all I mean is add an adequate oil cooler and change the oil every 25-35k miles. So don't let the "weak" AT keep you from following your dreams, if your transmission fails, get another one from a wrecking yard like $400 and turn down the power alittle.
SleekAV6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleekAV6 View Post
Why's that? You do realize there's a few of us supercharged 7th gen ATs right? I have a J32+SC and Nicepeta has J30+SC and TL paddle shifters. My car has about 98k miles now and 48k of that is SC'd. Still running strong on the one and only stock transmission. I even drove to Vegas and back in 113 degree temperature just the other week. And least to my knowledge, the other guys haven't had any transmission problems either.

IMO, the 7th gen ATs are pretty stout units as long as you take modest care of it, and by that all I mean is add an adequate oil cooler and change the oil every 25-35k miles. So don't let the "weak" AT keep you from following your dreams, if your transmission fails, get another one from a wrecking yard like $400 and turn down the power alittle.
Well the J36 alone eats through our AT because it cant handle the torque....if you put a SC on it Im sure it would die within days.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM  
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Well the J36 alone eats through our AT because it cant handle the torque....if you put a SC on it Im sure it would die within days.
Are you talking from experience or just repeating hearsay? I'm telling you from experience that our ATs can easily handle 300whp/tq, I think Peter was making like 320whp or so and his transmission is fine.

Yeah a J36+SC would be awesome and our ATs may or may not handle it at all, but writing off the ATs right off the bat is just

Just my opinion.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:56 PM  

No your right Ive never personally had a J36 build and had a tranny fail on me but that statement is from someone thats done more J series engine builds then anyone in the US, Paul. Hes said on multiple occasions that our AT cant handle a J36
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM  
hmmm what next?

because ppl were asking about where my info came from and it was direct from the dr evil shop i dont remember who i was talking to but he said after about 300-350hp the transmission will just give out and not be worth getting...
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM  
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
No your right Ive never personally had a J36 build and had a tranny fail on me but that statement is from someone thats done more J series engine builds then anyone in the US, Paul. Hes said on multiple occasions that our AT cant handle a J36
Sorry to hear that your tranny failed, but since you have an 03, how long did you drive it before the oil jet recall? The 03 ATs are probably the weaker of the 7th gen lot since most probably already had premature wear before the oil kit recall was announced.

I know Paul's work and his experience with the J series is extensive, but I don't think even his 04 AT has failed?
Then again this also depends how you drive your car, if you're always stomping on it at every stoplight or race every chance you get, it won't last. This goes for MTs as well.
I drive agressive, but also know what my car as a whole can handle.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM  

No my tranny didnt go Im sorry I was saying Iven never had my tranny fail on me. Yes if I remember correctly Paul has actually gone through multiple trannies. Even if you get an 07 tranny a SC J36 will blow it fairly quickly. I know that our tranny can handle a SC J30 or SC J32 but a J35/36 is a different story in my opinion.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM  
J35 Honda Saber

Send a message via AIM to adamlee05
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonda1989 View Post
i wasnt joking about taking the initiative and trying to rebuild the transmission with new stronger parts i would say the biggest thing would be cooling the gears down with jets. idk man i think the auto could be make more powerful just takes some work like everything else on the J series. go for it dude be a pioneer and learn some great info on the way!
It's already been done in 2003.

Austin, the guy who had the first 2nd gen 3.5 Type-S and a supercharger, had his tranny rebuilt with hardened steel shafts, Kevlar clutches, and titanium pins. Not sure if that's the same thing Dr. Evil does (they've failed for us TL guys), but maybe.

Here's the info for those interested:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/184466/27
adamlee05 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM  

yeah its what he says that he does but some people seem like they question the materials used or something.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM  
Honda Rookie

Paul's AT may not have failed yet, but its close, lol. Damn M90...
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM  

Oh well hes blown ones before the one hes on right now IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in