HELP! Need new brakes, but not sure which to get - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #1

HELP! Need new brakes, but not sure which to get

Hey everyone, I need to replace my brake rotors and pads all around and I am not sure what to do. I have been reading some of the other threads and no one seems to clarify what the best option is in terms of price, braking performance, and quality. I would like something that is slotted (factory slotted, not slotted aftermarket). I am not sure which manufacturers factory slot. Is there anything that is reliable, but less than brembo?

As for pads, semi-metallic, metallic, or ceramic? What are thoughts on this one? Go all the way metallic for more money, or stick with semi? or ceramic over both?

All input is much appreciated because I need to get need ones on my car soon. Thanks!

Forgot to mention, I have a 2006 V6 manual transmission.
latinlax01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #2

For rotors check out EBC, and Rotora. I like to use Hawk HPS pads, and I really like the way that they perform.
lavalleemike222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Send a message via AIM to dnlgao Send a message via MSN to dnlgao
one of the best braking setups for our cars.

brembo blanks (not that much..) and hawk pads.
dnlgao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrew_hammer View Post
ok let me answer you quickly. There are no factory slotted rotors that will fit our cars without a good amount of modification and etc. I have a 2005 sedan v6 5at and i upgraded to the v6 6mt size EBC ultimax slotted rotors and hawk hp+ pads all around. The stopping has increased tenfold, quiet, looks nice, and very durable under heavy braking.

What modifications did you have to do to fit the 6mt rotors on your car? I assume some kind of spacer for the caliper?
oldfett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
just go to your local friendly advance auto and order brake caliper brackets from a 203-07 v6 6mt. should be about 27 a pop. I used to work there so i got mine through a buddy at a1-cardone, 30 for both.
Thanks! I didn't even think it would be that simple.
oldfett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6

i used bendix pads and they are very good
MAXPROJECT22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #7

i would jus figure out what the budget is then start my search on calipers and rotors
MAXPROJECT22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Honda Rookie

Two years ago when I changed my rotors and pads, Hawk HPS pads and Powerslot Rotors were the ****, and they still are. I've gotten great results out of mine for about 90k miles.

Check out performancepeddler.com... and call them, you'll get GREAT prices.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #9

My only thing against hawk pads is that they don't perform all that great in the cold. They also wear down rotors faster because they use a metal compound in them.

When I replaced mine I went with EBC RedStuff pads and NAPA rotors and they do a great job. I autox the car and they definitely get the job done. The pads were $80 and front, $55 rear and the rotors were $40pc front $20pc rear.
bojingles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #10
7yr / 120K

I went to my local Pep Boys and bought ProStop blank rotors and ceramic pads. Its a fairly cheap alterative to OEM but works quite well. I've had them on for a while now with no complaints. They are a huge improvement over stock and didn't set me back too much $$$. I also Auto-X my car and they hold up nicely under those demanding conditions. Oh.. and I also did ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid.

Otherwise I'd say go Brembo blanks or Powerslot slotted rotors w/ Hawk pads.
Celestion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #11

I'm not sure what brand of replacement pads I installed last year, but I did switch to a performace ceramic pad instead of the OEM pads from one of the auto part retailers in my area, NAPA. Since I've installed thesm, I've had no problems with warped front brake rotors. I've had this reocurring problem on 2Accords, and don't drive hard, except stop and go on the ineterstate. The OEM pads are terrible.
lodom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinlax01 View Post
Hey everyone, I need to replace my brake rotors and pads all around and I am not sure what to do. I have been reading some of the other threads and no one seems to clarify what the best option is in terms of price, braking performance, and quality. I would like something that is slotted (factory slotted, not slotted aftermarket). I am not sure which manufacturers factory slot. Is there anything that is reliable, but less than brembo?

As for pads, semi-metallic, metallic, or ceramic? What are thoughts on this one? Go all the way metallic for more money, or stick with semi? or ceramic over both?

All input is much appreciated because I need to get need ones on my car soon. Thanks!

Forgot to mention, I have a 2006 V6 manual transmission.
Well it really depends, what are you going to be using it for?

By you saying quality braking doesn't tell us a whole lot cause thats kind of a given
JennyXoXo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
just go to your local friendly advance auto and order brake caliper brackets from a 203-07 v6 6mt. should be about 27 a pop. I used to work there so i got mine through a buddy at a1-cardone, 30 for both.
so the stock calipers fit to the bigger bracket? what about the 94 acura legend calipers, would they also fit? do the 6mt rotors fit a 16" wheel?
mta1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM   #14
Sosi baklazhani bydlo

Send a message via AIM to LiquidXplosion
I dont see why they wouldnt fit the 16" considering the caliper is the same between all accord v6 models. Yes the legend calipers fit into both the 5at and 6mt brackets. But you will need the legend pads.
LiquidXplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM   #15
J35 6Spd

i have used rear Powerslot OEM sized rotors ill sell for cheappp. i loved them and only took them off for an upgrade to larger rear rotors.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidXplosion View Post
I dont see why they wouldnt fit the 16" considering the caliper is the same between all accord v6 models. Yes the legend calipers fit into both the 5at and 6mt brackets. But you will need the legend pads.
but if the bracket is accord then wouldnt u need accord pads and not the legend pads, the caliper just goes over the pads, the ends of the pad that sit in the bracket would determine this no?
mta1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in